• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

superde

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2003
Bryan, Texas
I got invited on a hunting trip to NM in a month, and i'm looking for suggestions for scent control. I've never hunted elk, and i'm told that they've got great sniffers. What system, brand of clothing should I get? Do they scent control sprays work?

Re: NM Elk hunt

I have hunted in 6c for 6 years with a bow. I haven't found anything that was foolproof on an elk's nose. I would instead try to keep the wind in my favor. A small bottle of windicator is very handy in the changing thermals and winds.

good luck
Rthur

Rifle. I have friends that have tried to get me to bow hunt, but I already spend enough time and money on shooting guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">then I personally wouldn't waste the time and money on Scent type clothes.

Pay attention to the wind direction and thermals and hunt accordingly. </div></div>

^this, if you are rifle hunting you dont need scent blocker,or camo,or any of those other things you see advertised on the hunting shows. Like SM said, make sure you keep an eye on the wind and other conditions and use them to put yourself in the right spot. Good shooting,hiking,and spotting skills will pay off much better than anything you can purchase in a store. Good luck, and make sure you post pics after!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">then I personally wouldn't waste the time and money on Scent type clothes.

Pay attention to the wind direction and thermals and hunt accordingly. </div></div>

^this, if you are rifle hunting you dont need scent blocker,or camo,or any of those other things you see advertised on the hunting shows. Like SM said, make sure you keep an eye on the wind and other conditions and use them to put yourself in the right spot. Good shooting,hiking,and spotting skills will pay off much better than anything you can purchase in a store. Good luck, and make sure you post pics after!! </div></div>
Amen! Good pair of bino's is about the best bit of gear that can be bought at the store. The sooner you see them, the easier it is to plan a route/shot, that does not get you spotted/winded.

The wind is everything, you will be sweating like a whore in church hiking up and down those hills so all that scent crap won't do you any good.

Thanks gentlemen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Good luck, and make sure you post pics after!! </div></div>

Will do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">then I personally wouldn't waste the time and money on Scent type clothes.

Bingo...

Thing is with Elk this time of year. The boys are with the girls and you're not just worried about one nose but many.

Don't waste money on cloths. Spend some money on good food as you know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and using your brain and common hunting sense will lend you better opportunities than fancy cloths.

The guys have pretty well covered the fact that scent controlled clothing is pretty well worthless in that situation.

However clothing is really important out there. IMO layering is the only way to go. It can be below freezing before dawn and 80* by noon. So buy some good thermal thin underwear, and some clothes that are light, and you can layer to keep warm in the morning. But lightweight to fit in your back pack in the afternoon. And don't scrimp on a good high quality pair of boots. And plenty of extra pair of socks. Tom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The wind is everything, you will be sweating like a whore in church hiking up and down those hills so all that scent crap won't do you any good.</div></div>

This!!! +100000000

One swirl of the winds and my 2 hr stalk was kapute in the blink of an eye. I was so close that I could smell them on the other side of the ridge, and then the wind switched and Adios. There was only one way to them and was about 2 minutes from touching off the giggle switch and I was left sweaty, tired and with a looong walk down to camp, sans backstraps. Oh yeah, and I had sprayed down with the scent killer "sneaky" juice before I started my little stroll. It was toast by the time I got ready to shoot.

Where in NM are you going? I have hunted around Red River for several years, with very good results.

This year was the first year I put in for big game. New Mexico oryx antelope and elk. Didn't get drawn for anything. I'm leaving for a good while so I would not have been able to hunt anyways. Maybe next year. Im also learning here so just wanted to say thanks for the advice. Hopefully be able to try the pointers out next year.

If your hunting with a rifle don't worry about scent control. I hunted there in 1999 and shot placement is your only worry. Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huckelberry75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Where in NM are you going? I have hunted around Red River for several years, with very good results. </div></div>

Near Las Vegas, NM.

The wind will swirl and kick your ass, keep your face in the wind. Spend some time glassing, if they are talking you will have a better chance. I was in Valle Vidal last weekend and the rut was kicking off. It should be going there if it doesnt get too hot.

While you're there, do yourself a favor and eat at the Spic and Span, that is some good food. If you like it spicy, try the carne adovada burrito plate. The elk will smell you coming so eat it when your done hunting.

Good luck,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gonzaga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The wind will swirl and kick your ass, keep your face in the wind. Spend some time glassing, if they are talking you will have a better chance. I was in Valle Vidal last weekend and the rut was kicking off. It should be going there if it doesnt get too hot.

While you're there, do yourself a favor and eat at the Spic and Span, that is some good food. If you like it spicy, try the carne adovada burrito plate. The elk will smell you coming so eat it when your done hunting.

Good luck,</div></div>

Valley Vidal is an awesome spot to hunt big ol' mossy horns. We hunt no too far from there but on the West side of Baldy over around E.town.

Are you hunting on the Mutz' place or Joe Ray's place? Maybe even the flying horse, or the East Moreno?

Im up there every week, thats where I work. Beautiful area dont you think?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The guys have pretty well covered the fact that scent controlled clothing is pretty well worthless in that situation.

However clothing is really important out there. IMO layering is the only way to go. It can be below freezing before dawn and 80* by noon. So buy some good thermal thin underwear, and some clothes that are light, and you can layer to keep warm in the morning. But lightweight to fit in your back pack in the afternoon. And don't scrimp on a good high quality pair of boots. And plenty of extra pair of socks. Tom.
</div></div>

This! And the comment about good binos. Wide open area to spot and stalk will negate the need for scent blocker. I am no expert, but every year I wash my hunting clothes with just a touch of bleach and no detergent, so they get clean, but not scenty fresh
smile.gif
Good luck and post pics!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gonzaga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you hunting on the Mutz' place or Joe Ray's place? Maybe even the flying horse, or the East Moreno?
</div></div>

Alta Luna Ranch

First morning: saw a big bodied 5x5. Got about 350 yards from him, and was about to pull the trigger till he turned towards me. I waited for him to turn broadside again, but he headed into the trees. He's was a neat looking bull, as his hide is very light tan in color. Have to try again this afternoon
smile.gif

Well, wind got us yesterday evening. Wind was into us at about 10 mph while we were calling. It sounded like three different bulls coming into the call when the wind shifted to our backs for about 30 seconds, and everything went silent. We spotted one bull, and trailed him till dark, but couldn't get close enough for an open shot.

Didn't see anything but wild turkeys and mule deer does this morning. It's amazing how the wind can swirl in these valleys.

Thanks Jonathan! Got busted by a light gust of wind (again) last night as a group of elk started coming out of the woods. 2 young bulls and a cow were grazing in a meadow about 80 yards away when the wind shifted for about 2 seconds. The cow elk started walking right towards where we were sitting under some pine trees, with nose in the air. When she got about 40 yards, she turned and ran. There were more elk in the trees that we could here moving around. She led the exodus, and it sounded like a herd of cattle running away.

Hiked all over a mountain this morning, and saw a lot of fresh rubs and tracks, but no elk. We saw a bunch of mule deer does, and 2 grouse. No response to the calls.

Going to take another crack at where we hunted this morning later this evening.

Watch the morning thermal winds in those hills, try to parallel them from where you saw them the last time.

We got into position at 4:30 pm on the side of the little valley where we got busted on Tuesday. We moved down the valley a little, to help keep any errant gusts of wind from carrying our scent up the valley. 7 mule deer came out about 250 yards down from us and grazed for a while. Then we watched them head back back into the woods. About 15 minutes later we heard a shot somewhere off in the distance. About 15 minutes after that we heard something banging around in the trees on the opposite side and a little up the valley from our position. Then we started hear cow elk squeak, but there was a large pine tree between us and the noise and we couldn't look more than 200 yards up the valley. The guide stood up and peered through the pine tree and whispered to me that elk were out in the valley on the other side of the pine tree. He pointed for me to go up and around the tree so I could get a shot if a shooter came out. It took me 10 minutes to go 20-30 feet, trying to avoid every stick and loose rock - I was shaking like a twig. After I got on the other side of the tree, I couldn't get my shooting sticks set because of the slope. So looking at this herd of 20 or so elk, I made my way down a little flatter spot on the slope so I could get my shooting sticks set. Then the 5x5 walks out of the woods and I get the go ahead from the guide. I took a deep breathe, put the crosshairs on his shoulder and squeezed the trigger. The 180 grain Berger Hunting VLD (out of my 7 WSM) did its job and dropped the elk in his tracks. I was so excited and nervous, that I was shaking for about 15 minutes after. He was about 200 yards away. Once we got him back to the lodge and skinned him, we found out where the bullet hit. I hit him just in front of the shoulder (missed where I was trying to aim by about 6"). The bullet was lodged in the hide on the far side. I need to weigh the bullet, but it probably only retained about 50% of its mass. The guide said he probably weighed about 950 lbs.

We hiked about 5-10 miles a day (at 9,000 plus feet), and covered most of the ranch on foot. I didn't think it was going to work out, as the rut must have ended Monday because they stopped bugeling, and answering the calls. An amazing end to an amazing trip. It was an amazingly beautiful piece of property, and my family and I are truly blessed that we got invited to go. A once in a lifetime opportunity for me - unless I get invited again
smile.gif

Congrats on the nice bull! He is a nice heavy horned 5X5 sounds like a great hunt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: richieraby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats one happy looking fellow! </div></div>

For sure! Seeing no elk the previous day after hiking for 6 hours had left me seriously doubting I was going to be filling the freezer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hamr56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats on the nice bull! He is a nice heavy horned 5X5 sounds like a great hunt. </div></div>

Thank you. The story had a happy ending LOL. Although, it was such a majestic place, I don't know that I could have been too upset if I didn't come home with a filled tag.

Congrats on the bull. You were in good country, I got a bull out of that area a couple years ago with a muzzy. Did you see any wolves? There was a lot of mt lion and wolf sign in the area when we were there two years ago. Congrats!