• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NM Langhold, my story from the hardest competition in Scandinavia

Vargmat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2013
Sweden
Background: I have been shooting precision rifles for the last few years, long range shooting has been a motivator all along. But in Sweden in general, there are few chances to go beyond 600 meters, and pretty much every range is limited to 300 meters. The furthest I had ever shot before this past weekend was 795 meters. Its also of some value to state that I consider myself to be of good physical fitness, I work at the local hospital and there is seldom a slow day, I have been an avid mountainbiker since I was 15 and I still ride my bike to work every day, year around unless its pouring rain. I dont drink or smoke.

The competition, NM Langhold (roughly translates to the Nordic Long Range shooting championship) is held annually in the mountains around the small village of Bjoneroa in Norway by match director Christian S who I figure have a background in the Norwegian Army. This years competition would span over two days and about 50 competitors came to the venue. This years venue had targets set out beyond 1300 meters. I knew it was a tough competition, both physically and mentally, but I never knew just how tough it would be.

So, after a 7,5 hour drive from my home up to Bjoneroa in Norway, we slept on the floor of a gym and at 04:00 it was time to get ready to go out. Safety briefing was at 05:30 and then it was time to hike up the mountain, it was -21 C when we started out, and it was a 1 hour and 45 minute hike to the top, where we would start shooting. The hike for the first half hour was on decently plowed backroads, and after that it was time to put on snow shoes and continue the hike.
The thing is, that at 05:20 when we loaded our gear out to my car, which we were going to use for the short drive to the other side of the town, we quickly found out that the car would not start. Apparently a night outside with temperatures reaching as low as -30 C proved to be too much for my poor BMW. So in a fit of panic we threw the regular gear into another competitors car and headed out. It just so happens that I forgot my damn snow shoes in my car, as this is not regular gear to me, in fact I had never even used a pair of snow shoes prior to this weekend. By the time the safety briefing was over, there was no time to go and get them. So I was handed a vintage pair of old snow shoes from one of the RO guys, these were something from the WW2 era and they were made from wood and straps, they were bad, but they would have to do. The mountain was covered in 4 feet of snow, and it would be impossible to get around up there without the damn snowshoes.
Anyhow, back to the hike up the mountain, I really cant remember that I have ever been so cold in my life, it was crazy. My hands were completely numb and I started to get scared of frostnip, which some people got during the day. But after a while the sun came up and the temperature rose to about -7 C which was comfortable by comparison.

Safety breifing (day two)
1521540569620.png

The scenery on one of the stages, forgot which one (6?). There are targets where the arrows point, at 1090 meters and 970 meters.
1521540549103.png

Needless to say, the scenery was epic, the Norwegian countryside is nothing short of amazing.
After shooting the first 6 stages on top of the mountain, were I managed to hit steel at both 970 meters and 1090 meters it was time to hike back down, about 45 minutes or so, to the other 5 stages of the day. By now it was lunchtime and I had spent at least 4 hours with the damned snowshoes strapped to my feet. It was rough, and it started to get painful. But I pressed on and did my best to try to score some more hits, but fatigue was starting to get to me, and some stages had more than a bit of PRS-influence to them, which meant planning, milling and alternating targets which would have been tough on a regular day at the range, in these conditions, they proved to be way too much for my brain. So I figured that I would try to stick to the fundamentals, and maybe score some hits that way. You know, build a good position behind the rifle, shoot well. or at least as good as possible, but it all just proved to be too much. The pain and fatigue had gotten to me, and I hit nothing.

Here I am, trying to hit a small steel plate at about 515 meters:
1521540627047.png

On my way out to the last stage, my body was a blob of pain, every step was a struggle and after a while, I figured that if, and only if, I make the hike out to the last stage, I might not have the power to get back down the mountain, let alone shoot worth a damn. So I figured I have had enough, after a long brake with some heated MRE and water, I started to make my way back down the mountain. By now I had been up on the mountain for over 8 hours, and it was another hour or so to get down from the mountain, back to the cars and then back to the gym for more food and sleep.

I fell a sleep by 21:00 or so, completely knocked out from fatigue.
The next morning, my body was a mess, and it was no small struggle to make it down roughly 15 steps indoors to get to the showers. All I felt was pain, crippling pain, mixed with feverish weakness. To even contemplate going out on the mountain again, now in -25 C to hike up a steeper trail up another mountainside was completely out of the question. Hell, I felt lucky to have made it down the mountain just yesterday. And I was still worried that the car would not start, and we were supposed to drive back home that same afternoon. So I stayed back in the gym for the day, eating, sleeping and trying to get the car to start back up again. I estimate that about 5-6 other guys had also dropped out of the competition by now, most of them from fatigue and some with signs of slight frostnip.
I can only salute the guys that not only made it back out to the mountain on day two, to stay competitive and to actually make hits on steel beyond a 1000 meters on day two in those conditions are admirable, and down right bad ass.

By 15:30 most of the guys were back in the gym, and the winners was declared. I feel nothing but huge respect to everyone that was part of this competition, from the director, to the RO:s, the catering and naturally all of the competitors.
I hope that Christian and his friends will keep doing this competition for years to come. It is an awesome experience, however I have a feeling that I wont be there again, for me, it is just too damn hard. But now I know. I dont just talk and dream, I go places and try stuff. I learned a lot this weekend, and first and foremost I learned some of my limitations.

This plate measures 12"x12" if my memory serves. You did not have to shoot at it, there were plates at shorter ranges, but I was there to shoot long range, so I tried. This plate was placed at 1090 meters, and two out of the three shots I took at it were hits, made with my Remington 700 Police, chambered in 300 winchester magnum, using handloads with Hornady ELD-X 212 grain bullets and Norma MRP powder.
1521541038793.png

Thanks for reading this, and thanks again to everyone involved.

(Pictures are borrowed from social media, if anyone is offended by this, I will remove them)

Last edited:
Sounds like you did your best considering. Are you going to train and try again next Winter?

Imagine fighting all Winter with primitive equipment like the Finns and Commandos in WWII... or the Vikings. No wonder they got all the pretty girls ;-p

Sounds like you did your best considering. Are you going to train and try again next Winter?

Imagine fighting all Winter with primitive equipment like the Finns and Commandos in WWII... or the Vikings. No wonder they got all the pretty girls ;-p

I have no regrets from my part in this weekends competition experience. I carried on as far as I could.
I do not think I will be back for this competition anytime soon, I can at least say that I have been there and tried my best.

Winter warfare must be tougher than hell.

Thanks for a great write up, it is a very interesting story. If you plan to do the comp next year perhaps upsize the battery in your car and carry a can of ether to spray in if you have trouble with it. You could also carry an extra battery with jumpers to double your cranking time. Alternatively, if it is a fairly new discuss with the dealer if they have any cold weather starting options that could be installed.

Reactions: Vargmat
I enjoyed your report and had to fight to suppress laughter when reading of the pain you endured. Sadly, I can relate. Mother Nature is one cold, mean bitch in the mountains in winter. Cheers to you for giving it a shot. If you ever decide to go back, get your gear optimized and fully tested in advance and it will make a huge difference. I'm no fan of them but have used modern snowshoes to approach ice climbs where I would not risk back-country skis and they are way the fuck better regarding agility, let alone mass, than the ancient shoes you had to endure. Handwarmers, high altitude mitts with shooting liners, a warm thermos, etc., can make a real difference.

I enjoyed your report and had to fight to suppress laughter when reading of the pain you endured. Sadly, I can relate. Mother Nature is one cold, mean bitch in the mountains in winter. Cheers to you for giving it a shot. If you ever decide to go back, get your gear optimized and fully tested in advance and it will make a huge difference. I'm no fan of them but have used modern snowshoes to approach ice climbs where I would not risk back-country skis and they are way the fuck better regarding agility, let alone mass, than the ancient shoes you had to endure. Handwarmers, high altitude mitts with shooting liners, a warm thermos, etc., can make a real difference.

You are free to laugh as much as you like. I can only write about my part of this experience, and I tried to keep a fun tone to it.
The way I see it is, that there is really no real way of testing everything in advance. I have never and will never go on something like a ski vacation. I live in the southern part of Sweden and we barely experience snow, let alone 4 feet of the white horrible substance. And I had a brand new pair of Härkila snow shoes in the trunk of my car, where they made absolutely no use what so ever. I could have used a better pair of gloves, thats for sure.
On the plus side, even covered in frost and some ice after hanging across my chest for the hike up the mountain, my Remington went bang every time, and my Schmidt & Bender scope performed flawlessly.

Last edited:
I was following the recent World Cup ski races in Scandinavia the past couple of weeks during your cold snap... even the hardened skiers were complaining about the cold this year. They'll go so far as taping their faces to prevent frostbite.

Of course I used to work in Northern Maine where it would go an entire month below 0 degrees F (-17) even at mid-day. We used to have mirrors to check for frostbite.

I was following the recent World Cup ski races in Scandinavia the past couple of weeks during your cold snap... even the hardened skiers were complaining about the cold this year. They'll go so far as taping their faces to prevent frostbite.

Of course I used to work in Northern Maine where it would go an entire month below 0 degrees F (-17) even at mid-day. We used to have mirrors to check for frostbite.

Yes it has been cold, even down here in the south. And for as long as the NM Langhold competition has been held, I am told that there has never been as much snow as it was this year.

I feel like I must share a few more pictures, I managed to nail 2nd place with one hit behind my good friend Johan.

As Vargmat describes in very good detail, it was quite challenging with the terrain, the steep angels, long walks and 4-6ft of snow. If you left the trail without snowshoes you would be down past your knees before you hit anything solid from time to time.

Total walking distance was roughly 19 miles

This was without a doubt the most challenging match I've ever attended, and perhaps the one I've enjoyed the most.

20180318_173350.jpg
IMG_20180318_182358_545.jpg
20180317_125356.jpg
20180317_063228.jpg
20180318_123337.jpg

Damn....just, damn.

Hats off to both of you and the other competitors, and let's not forget the ROs. You didn't say they shot as well, so they endured just to call hits and misses.

Would love to try something like this in the States. Not that I think I'd do all that well, but as noted earlier, finding ones limits means pushing to them.

Thanks for the write up

Reactions: Vargmat
AWESOME!!!
My wife got me a pair of LL Bean snowshoes for Christmas (still in the packaging).
D016696B-C6E3-405B-91AC-6BA3C41CFA52.jpeg

Now I want to come next year! I wonder how hard it is to travel to Sweden with a rifle? My family is from Denmark, and I have several friends in Stockholm I can stay with. How do you sign up?

Reactions: diverdon
Great write up. Pictures to prove it.

*ucking Awesome!

Just 1 question: I want to hear about equipment....not cold weather gear but ammo, rifle etc.

Is the Remington stock? Ammo factory or handloads? What did the other competitors use?

Thanks!

AWESOME!!!
My wife got me a pair of LL Bean snowshoes for Christmas (still in the packaging).

Now I want to come next year! I wonder how hard it is to travel to Sweden with a rifle? My family is from Denmark, and I have several friends in Stockholm I can stay with. How do you sign up?

The competition is held in Norway. It should not be that hard to travel between the Scandinavian countries, just contact the customs office and they will tell you what you need to do. There are probably info on their webpage as well.
Google Viking Rifle Series and you will find info about more competitions and how to register.

*ucking Awesome!

Just 1 question: I want to hear about equipment....not cold weather gear but ammo, rifle etc.

Is the Remington stock? Ammo factory or handloads? What did the other competitors use?

Thanks!

My personal rifle set up was as follows:

Remington 700 Police, .300 Winchester Magnum. RR prefix. Factory barrel 26" 1/10 twist.
Grayboe Renegade stock, which was modified by me. I made a recoilpad spacer of alloy to get it to proper height, and I also made a saddle type cheek riser out of carbon fiber. I also glass bedded the action and bottom metal.
Stalon Victor L suppressor.
Schmidt & Bender PM2 5-25x56 scope with MSR reticle.
Seekins precision matched rings.
Nightforce 20 MOA steel scope rail.
Harris bipod and a Brownells competition leather sling.
1521610437927.png

I only shoot handloads through my rifles.
For NM Langhold I used the following components:
Bullet: Hornady ELD-X 212 grain
Powder: Norma MRP
Brass: Norma .300 win mag
Primers: CCI Large rifle magnum.
COL: 89mm

The cool thing is, that as usuall I only had verified dope to 300 meters. But it has been my experience that if you feed Strelok Pro good data, it will give you reliable good data out. Which made it possible for me to reach out to 1090 meters, with only minor corrections from the printed cards I had with me.

I cant tell in detail what the other competitors used, but as usual around here, there were a lot of Sauer STR 200 / SSG3000 variations, plenty of Tikka T3:s and some more Remington 700. I saw some Sako TRG versions and some custom rifles built on Surgeon and Defiance actions.
Lots of Schmidt & Bender scopes, some Minox, Nightforce and Kahles scopes as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: jetmd and THEIS

*ucking Awesome!

Thanks!

The main rifles used were the Sauer 200 STR in 6.5x55, in the states i belive it goes by the name of Sig Sauer SSG 3000 and on 2nd most common rifle i belive it would be Tikka T3

Top 10 shooters used the following calibers
1. 6.5x55
2. 6BR
3. 6.5x55
4. 6.5x55
5. 6.5x55
6. 6.5x55
7. 6.5x284
8. 260 Rem
9. 6.5x55
10. 6.5 Creedmoor

I used the 105 berger hybrid in my 6BR running it at 3050fps

the 6.5x55's typically ran 130gr Norma or 136/139 Scenars between 2900-3100fps

If you didn't run handloads you'd be toast at this match since there could be a 10" target at roughly 1000yd

Top 3 all had ES at below 9 fps

Reactions: jetmd and Vargmat
During the match there was one open division and one "makkepar" class which roughly translates to shooting pair, the pair had two rifles with one of - them being a more powerful for longer ranges and they got to play the "shooter/spotter" game.

One of the teams used a 6xc and a 300wm and the guys who won that class used a 6.5x47 and a 6.5 SAUM

The Magnetospeed t1000 units sure made it a lot easier for the spotters to se impacts past 900yd

If any of y'all want to shoot matches over here in Scandinavia have a look over here: http://vikingrifleseries.com/
They all have their own special touch, but the Norwegian Midnight Sun Rifle Challenge is pretty much like this one but it's during summer outside of Tromso in the mountains and last year we had a 1.5hr break during a 36hr long match.

Background: I have been shooting precision rifles for the last few years, long range shooting has been a motivator all along. But in Sweden in general, there are few chances to go beyond 600 meters, and pretty much every range is limited to 300 meters. The furthest I had ever shot before this past weekend was 795 meters. Its also of some value to state that I consider myself to be of good physical fitness, I work at the local hospital and there is seldom a slow day, I have been an avid mountainbiker since I was 15 and I still ride my bike to work every day, year around unless its pouring rain. I dont drink or smoke.

The competition, NM Langhold (roughly translates to the Nordic championships in long range shooting) is held annually in the mountains around the small village of Bjoneroa in Norway by match director Christian S who I figure have a background in the Norwegian Army. This years competition would span over two days, about 50 competitors came to the venue. This years venue had targets set out beyond 1300 meters. I knew it was a tough competition, both physically and mentally, but I never knew just how tough it would be.

So, after a 7,5 hour drive from my home up to Bjoneroa in Norway, we slept on the floor of a gym and at 04:00 it was time to get ready to go out. Safety briefing was at 05:30 and then it was time to hike up the mountain, it was -21 C when we started out, and it was a 1 hour and 45 minutes walk to the top, where we would start shooting. The hike for the first half hour was on decently plowed backroads, and after that it was time to put on snow shoes.
The thing is, that at 05:20 when we loaded our gear out to my car, which we were going to use for the short drive to the other side of the town, the car would not start. Apparently a night outside with temperatures reaching as low as -30 C proved to be too much for my poor BMW. So in a fit of panic we threw the regular gear in to another competitors car and headed out. It just so happens that I forgot my damn snow shoes in my car, as this is not regular gear to me, in fact I had never even used a pair of snow shoes prior to this weekend. By the time the safety briefing was over, there was no time to go and get them. So I was handed a vintage pair of old snow shoes from one of the RO guys, these were made from wood and straps, they were bad, but they would have to do. The mountain was covered in 4 feet of snow, and it would be impossible to get around up there without the damn snowshoes.
Anyhow, back to the hike up the mountain, I really cant remember that I have ever been so cold in my life, it was crazy. My hands were completely numb and I started to get scared of frostnip, which some people got during the day. But after a while the sun came up and the temperature rose to about -7 C which was comfortable by comparison.

Safety breifing (day two)
View attachment 6885777

The scenery on one of the stages, forgot which one (6?). There are targets where the arrows point, at 1090 meters and 970 meters.
View attachment 6885776

Needless to say, the scenery was epic.
After shooting the first 6 stages on top of the mountain, were I hit steel at both 970 meters and 1090 meters it was time to hike back down, about 45 minutes or so, to the other 5 stages of the day. By now it was lunchtime and I had spent at least 4 hours with the damned snowshoes strapped to my feet. It was rough, and it started to get painful. But I pressed on and did my best to try to score some more hits, but fatigue was starting to get to me, and some stages had more than a bit of PRS-influence to them, which meant planning, milling and alternating targets which would have been tough on a regular day at the range, in these conditions, they proved to be way too much for my brain. So I figured that I would try to stick to the fundamentals, and maybe score some hits that way. You know, build a good position behind the rifle, shoot well. or at least as good as possible, but it just proved to be too much. The pain and fatigue had gotten to me, and I hit nothing.

Here I am, trying to hit a small steel plate at about 515 meters:
View attachment 6885778

On my way out to the last stage, my body was a blob of pain, every step was a struggle and after a while, I figured that if, and only if, I make the hike out to the last stage, I might not have the power to get back down the mountain, let alone shoot worth a damn. So I figured I have had enough, after a long brake with some heated MRE and water, I started to make my way back down the mountain. By now I had been up on the mountain for over 8 hours, and it was another hour or so to get down from the mountain, back to the cars and then back to the gym for more food and sleep.

I fell a sleep by 21:00 or so, completely knocked out from fatigue.
The next morning, my body was a mess, and it was no small struggle to make it down roughly 15 steps indoors to get to the showers. All I felt was pain, crippling pain. To even contemplate going out on the mountain again, now in -25 C to hike up a steep trail up another mountainside was completely out of the question. Hell, I felt lucky to have made it down the mountain just yesterday. And I was still worried that the car would not start, and we were supposed to drive back home that same afternoon. So I stayed back in the gym for the day, eating, sleeping and trying to get the car to start back up again. I estimate that about 5-6 other guys had also dropped out of the competition by now, most of them from fatigue and some with slight frostnip.
I can only salute the guys that not only made it back out to the mountain on day two, to stay competitive and to actually make hits on steel beyond a 1000 meters on day two in those conditions are admirable, and down right bad ass.

By 15:30 most of the guys were back in the gym, and the winners was declared. I feel nothing but huge respect to everyone that was part of this competition, from the director, to the RO:s, the catering and naturally all of the competitors.
I hope that Christian and his friends will keep doing this competition for years to come. It is an awesome experience, however I have a feeling that I wont be there again, for me, it is just too damn hard. But now I know. I dont just talk and dream, I go places and try stuff. I learned a lot this weekend, and first and foremost I learned some of my limitations.

This plate measures 12"x12" if my memory serves. You did not have to shoot at it, there were plates at shorter ranges, but I was there to shoot long range, so I tried. This plate was placed at 1090 meters, and two out of the three shots I took at it were hits, made with my Remington 700 Police, chambered in 300 winchester magnum, using handloads with Hornady ELD-X 212 grain bullets and Norma MRP powder.
View attachment 6885780

Thanks for reading this, and thanks again to everyone involved.

(Pictures are borrowed from social media, if anyone is offended by this, I will remove them)

Sounds like fun, """not really""", lol! I do admire how much "stick to it" you exemplified!!!!!!

On Sunday we had a snow storm during our 22 match at 7400 ft elevation. It was actually a lot of fun shooting in those conditions! We only hiked a couple hundred yards on cinders mixed with snow.

You young people, I would have died up there!

Excellent post. Thank you. It's great to get some non-USA perspective on precision rifle competitions shot in natural terrain. No artificial barricades needed - teriffic!

I don't think that pink pussy hat is very tactical, tho...

OK, I did NOT read the entire thread....

But this I know, shooting in the snow (visibility aside):
1. The support for the second shot is not the same as the first
2. Spotting misses can be nonexistent
3. Snow mirage ya, but what does it mean? I've seen a bit of weird things in the snow.
4. I do a ton of snowshoeing, I am a hi-tech gear-head.. but 5 miles feels like a 20 mile hike. With some of the stuff I saw, holly smokes..

Now thinking about 19 miles snowshoeing, while trying to keep your head on straight?

I am sorry, but my only words are bad ass... and damn lucky Bigfoot didn't get you guys ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: tnichols
OK, I did NOT read the entire thread....

But this I know, shooting in the snow (visibility aside):
1. The support for the second shot is not the same as the first
2. Spotting misses can be nonexistent
3. Snow mirage ya, but what does it mean? I've seen a bit of weird things in the snow.
4. I do a ton of snowshoeing, I am a hi-tech gear-head.. but 5 miles feels like a 20 mile hike. With some of the stuff I saw, holly smokes..

Now thinking about 19 miles snowshoeing, while trying to keep your head on straight?

I am sorry, but my only words are bad ass... and damn lucky Bigfoot didn't get you guys ;)

Spotting misses was very hard from time to time. I remember one plate that was set at around 450 meters or so, I had a good position and it should have been a few easy points. But I could not tell where my bullets hit, so I could never do the right corrections. After 8 or 9 rounds I hit nothing and time was up. The spotter told me that I was just to the right of the plate, where there was a big berm of shoveled snow set in the shadow from a tree, I never could tell.

I dont know if bigfoot roams the Norwegian countryside, mountain trolls however, they are the real treat.