• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

No.4 Mk.1 1943

I certainly belong to that cult… The Garand was my gateway into the world of milsurp rifles (tho a pristine 1903a3 was my first milsurp rifle I bought), but the Lee Enfield no.4 is my lasting love.

I currently have 4 of them…

- Two war worn Longbranch MkI* rifles.

- A faux-T built off a saved receiver from an unsalvageable stock. I had it rebarreled with a Criterion barrel, the pads (from Fulton’s of Bisby in the UK) mounted, and bracket (via Roger Payne, again in the UK) collimated by Bruce Dow who then sent it to Brian Dick to restock it per MoD specifications…

View attachment 8118734

…it turned out beautifully and very accurate. I also have a repro scope that Warren on Milsurps.com worked over and ‘tarted up’ as he words it. The whole set up cost probably twice what it’s worth, but I wanted one I could use in vintage matches.

- A Virgin no4 Mk2 I picked up cuz I wanted one essentially brand new. I paid $1000 for it, which at the time was slightly above market, but as prices have risen I think I got a pretty good deal.
great photo there!

So I wanted to update alittle. I've shot the rifle some.

Roughly 100-120 rounds. 3 times out to 1000 and once at a surplus match. Surplus match was military sized targets for open sight military rifles.

It hit every target after the match. I should have used it. Instead I used a new homebrew 20" and placed 2nd out of maybe 25-30. I took the scope off for the match.
20230815_165643.jpg

With the Enfield mk4, on the 1000 yard range it was marginal. The targets are smaller. Man sized targets at 400 were nearly guaranteed if you shot the rifle well. Holding windage was tough and Kentuckyish at the 800 and 1000 yard berms. At 800 hits were tough. Probably 30-40% hits. I dont think I've got the 1000 more then once.

At some point I'll load up ammo. At this point I need to do something with the stock/barrel fitment. It's likely to get shot very little until I do some work to it.

20231020_195321_remastered (1)oo.jpg

If anyone has any relevant stories or cool pictures related I'd love too see.

I certainly belong to that cult… The Garand was my gateway into the world of milsurp rifles (tho a pristine 1903a3 was my first milsurp rifle I bought), but the Lee Enfield no.4 is my lasting love.

I currently have 4 of them…

- Two war worn Longbranch MkI* rifles.

- A faux-T built off a saved receiver from an unsalvageable stock. I had it rebarreled with a Criterion barrel, the pads (from Fulton’s of Bisby in the UK) mounted, and bracket (via Roger Payne, again in the UK) collimated by Bruce Dow who then sent it to Brian Dick to restock it per MoD specifications…

View attachment 8118734

…it turned out beautifully and very accurate. I also have a repro scope that Warren on Milsurps.com worked over and ‘tarted up’ as he words it. The whole set up cost probably twice what it’s worth, but I wanted one I could use in vintage matches.

- A Virgin no4 Mk2 I picked up cuz I wanted one essentially brand new. I paid $1000 for it, which at the time was slightly above market, but as prices have risen I think I got a pretty good deal.

Warren, as in Wheaty on Gunboards?

if so, he is a great guy, and does a great job on No 32's
sent him one of my No 32's last year, it had stuck turrets , but he fixed it right up and gave it a good once over,

gonna send another I picked up wiht sticky turrets soon,

So I wanted to update alittle. I've shot the rifle some.

Roughly 100-120 rounds. 3 times out to 1000 and once at a surplus match. Surplus match was military sized targets for open sight military rifles.

It hit every target after the match. I should have used it. Instead I used a new homebrew 20" and placed 2nd out of maybe 25-30. I took the scope off for the match.
View attachment 8317867

With the Enfield mk4, on the 1000 yard range it was marginal. The targets are smaller. Man sized targets at 400 were nearly guaranteed if you shot the rifle well. Holding windage was tough and Kentuckyish at the 800 and 1000 yard berms. At 800 hits were tough. Probably 30-40% hits. I dont think I've got the 1000 more then once.

At some point I'll load up ammo. At this point I need to do something with the stock/barrel fitment. It's likely to get shot very little until I do some work to it.

View attachment 8317875

If anyone has any relevant stories or cool pictures related I'd love too see.
My Enfield sniper and chest that I built. Original Parker-Hale spotting scope.
DSCN0086.JPG

DSCN0083.JPG

DSCN0080.JPG

DSCN0078.JPG

DSCN0076.JPG

DSCN0123.JPG

DSCN0121.JPG

DSCN0120.JPG

That's what I like to see and hear. That's beautiful. Was the transit case from scratch?
What barrel? My 2 groove isn't quite as accurate as yours. I do need to practice with it more. But it still makes me want to get a new barrel. @Frank Green I'm assuming that would be a special order if its even available?

I've got the cheek riser that's matching wood now. I just need to shape and fit that.

That's what I like to see and hear. That's beautiful. Was the transit case from scratch?
What barrel? My 2 groove isn't quite as accurate as yours. I do need to practice with it more. But it still makes me want to get a new barrel. @Frank Green I'm assuming that would be a special order if its even available?

I've got the cheek riser that's matching wood now. I just need to shape and fit that.
Case built from scratch. I do have an original .22lr transport case as a donor for original latches but just haven't bothered to do it. Rifle is a stock surplus Enfield. Group was shot with match handloads.

Reactions: camocorvette
I'm hoping when I handload I can achieve decent accuracy.
That case looks like it was ready to ship to the front. Beautiful work Sir.

Special order? Everything is special or if you will made to order.

We've done the Enfield #4 contour barrels before. No extra charge for the contour.

Here is the question for you.... are you gonna want the bayonet mount lug on the end of the barrel? If so we don't do that integral work. I can leave the diameter the appropriate size but you will need someone to do the final work for that. if I recall correctly a customer of ours in the UK we make the contoured blank but he takes a scrap barrel bores out the end and removes the lug and then basically silver solders it or something of the sort to the new barrel. In the end you can't tell a difference basically. I could ask him again how he is doing that.

Later, Frank

Reactions: camocorvette
Frank,
Thank you for the response. That's good to know. I would like to keep it original looking. So leaving the meat there would be my option. I've got a gunsmith that could handle the rest. In the next couple months I'll be sending an email off to get one ordered. Thank you again.

Reactions: Frank Green