• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report NO CHRONO??

Tinhorn

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2008
Florida, in the mountains
ANY WAY TO DETERMINE MY MV WITHOUT A CHRONO. I'M LOADING 42.3 grs of VARGET, 168gr HORNADY MATCH HPBT, 210 PRIMER, LC BRASS,
FIRED FROM HFN PBR 308??????? THANKS T.

Re: NO CHRONO??

Zero (with great precision and verify center of grouping...not one shot!) at 100 yards. Shoot 200 yards same precision, then 300 yards. Go to a program such as JBM and begin to match ranges and impacts with bullet weights and BC's, and with your initial guesstimates of velocity...You'll be able to match up after several or many iterations. You'll wind up with a verifiable velocity, AND, a reliable plotting for distance shooting. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tinhorn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ANY WAY TO DETERMINE MY MV WITHOUT A CHRONO. I'M LOADING 42.3 grs of VARGET, 168gr HORNADY MATCH HPBT, 210 PRIMER, LC BRASS,
FIRED FROM HFN PBR 308??????? THANKS T. </div></div>

UNLOCK YOUR CAPS. It's called shouting. And it gives me a headache.

This should be good, I missed the UFC fight Saturday night. Just let me get some popcorn...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cartman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This should be good, I missed the UFC fight Saturday night. Just let me get some popcorn... </div></div>

In this corner with 10,224 posts...
In that corner with 65 posts...

I don't do insults for no reason. Mr Tinhorn is on vacation to learn some manners. When you make a plea for help don't start right off slinging mud.

See... no fight.

I'm too old for that. I have neither the inclination nor time to waste on BS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't do insults for no reason. Mr Tinhorn is on vacation to learn some manners. When you make a plea for help don't start right off slinging mud.

See... no fight.

I'm too old for that. I have neither the inclination nor time to waste on BS. </div></div>

Class act. Well played.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tinhorn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ANY WAY TO DETERMINE MY MV WITHOUT A CHRONO. I'M LOADING 42.3 grs of VARGET, 168gr HORNADY MATCH HPBT, 210 PRIMER, LC BRASS,
FIRED FROM HFN PBR 308??????? THANKS T. </div></div>

UNLOCK YOUR CAPS. It's called shouting. And it gives me a headache.</div></div>
Victor--Tinhorn's handle gives you a clue that HE'S HARD OF HEARING.

AFIC, you get a pass for missing that (notwithstanding the printed nature of posting on a board like this...), but AFIC you lose two points for your non-responsive post.

Mudslinging didn't start out with Victor's original post. I thought it was merely a witty comeback. You're the one who opened yourself up for another comeback by mentioning your a$$. And you still did not respond to the reasonable question, though it has been asked on these boards probably dozens of times.

Not even a snotty "use the search" response. Sounds like someone can't take a joke. Or two.

Tinhorn--If you want to PM me with the results of your distance shooting (including centerline of the scope above the centerline of the bore), I'd be happy to help run some calculations. Complete environmental data, including barometric pressure (go hour-by-hour at weather.com if you need to), makes the estimates much more likely to be accurate.

We can be a tough crowd here, but if Tinhorn really got a temporary ban for this, I'd say the pendulum has swung too far towards the pansy side of life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Zero (with great precision and verify center of grouping...not one shot!) at 100 yards. Shoot 200 yards same precision, then 300 yards. Go to a program such as JBM and begin to match ranges and impacts with bullet weights and BC's, and with your initial guesstimates of velocity...You'll be able to match up after several or many iterations. You'll wind up with a verifiable velocity, AND, a reliable plotting for distance shooting. JMHO </div></div>

this will give you an accurate drop chart based off of your impacts, but it may not give you an accurate muzzel velocity if you do not have true quater moa clicks.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...315#Post1454315

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't know what clicks have to do with it if you measure the drop at the target. </div></div>

he wants to determine his m.v.

if you have clicks that are more than .25 moa, like my scope was .279, a balistics calculator will tell you you are shooting faster than what is true.
so if you want to determine muzzel velocity it is not always an accurate way to tell, by drop chart alone.

My exbal program had a side routine that you would put some basic info in, like the range shot, how much correction, and where the shots actually landed and it would spit out the actual velocity, pretty neat.

However that doesn't necessarily pertain to the OP's question. I agree with "Grump" on his post about the witty comeback, but that's besides the point.

To the OP, deginately take your load out and shoot 300, or even 400 yards and take note of the come-ups required to be centered on the target. When you plug information into JBM you know the bullet, and weather conditions, just play with velocity until you get the data to match and you'll have a good ballpark.

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My exbal program had a side routine that you would put some basic info in, like the range shot, how much correction, and where the shots actually landed and it would spit out the actual velocity, pretty neat.

However that doesn't necessarily pertain to the OP's question. I agree with "Grump" on his post about the witty comeback, but that's besides the point.

To the OP, deginately take your load out and shoot 300, or even 400 yards and take note of the come-ups required to be centered on the target. When you plug information into JBM you know the bullet, and weather conditions, just play with velocity until you get the data to match and you'll have a good ballpark.

Branden </div></div>

i have the exbal program as well,
because of the clicks in my scope the m.v was off by almost 200fps,
but the exbal allows you to enter in the click values of your scope if you know what they are,
then it is much more accurate.

Too bad things went downhill. All I wanted to say was spend $90 and get some kind of chrony when they're on sale. Heck, I will sell you my custom model for that - comes with two .308 creases along the top and has been "hardened" with bonding cement and black electrical tape.

Hey Grump, we're all supposed to read the rules when we join. Here's one:

7. No all-caps array(FOR EXAMPLE, LIKE THIS) please. It is extremely hard to read. Posts submitted in all-caps will be deleted automatically.

So I don't think Victor loses points for not responding to a post that should have been deleted. In fact, I would give Victor Mr. Nice Guy points for leaving the original post up so that the OP has still been able to get answers to his question.

On another forum I've participated on for years it is even harsher. The owner explains quite clearly that the forum isn't like a public library set up and run with public funds for the public. It is a private forum paid for by a private individual. Nor is it a democracy. I think Lowlight paid for and set this one up no? And, on that other forum it is made very clear that if you don't like the rules you can shove off and start your own forum and make your own rules.

Sounds pretty fair to me.

tinhorn:

It will be a guess and there are too many variables.

You may have a tight (faster) or looser (slower) barrel.

Varget does get lot to lot variations, as do bullets and primers.

You will need to chrono the ammo.

Find someone in your 'hood that will let you fly them over the chrono. If you were here we could meet but we about 2000 miles apart.

I've noticed that around here (the 'hide), experience is greatly valued. Got some guy with 65 posts coming in and yapping at another guy with over 10,000 - well, I guess theoretically those 10,000 posts could have been insignificant BS posts. But in Victor's case, they're not BS posts - they have a lot of value. In Tinhorn's defense, he doesn't know Victor from Joe Schmoe out on the street and none of us would tolerate getting bitched at by somebody who hasn't earned the right. And for all we know, Tinhorn could be some shit hot shooter who just didn't take time to read the rules.

Still, when you come asking for help, you don't get bitchy with the people who you're asking for help.

And since I believe Victor is a moderator, it's kind of like f'n with the po-lice. +1 to Victor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedRyder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've noticed that around here (the 'hide), experience is greatly valued. Got some guy with 65 posts coming in and yapping at another guy with over 10,000 - well, I guess theoretically those 10,000 posts could have been insignificant BS posts. But in Victor's case, they're not BS posts - they have a lot of value. In Tinhorn's defense, he doesn't know Victor from Joe Schmoe out on the street and none of us would tolerate getting bitched at by somebody who hasn't earned the right. And for all we know, Tinhorn could be some shit hot shooter who just didn't take time to read the rules.

Still, when you come asking for help, you don't get bitchy with the people who you're asking for help.

And since I believe Victor is a moderator, it's kind of like f'n with the po-lice. +1 to Victor. </div></div>

I disagree.

Victor's first post - no problem.

Second post - unnecessary.

Third post, first paragraph - unnecessary and the remainder OK.

Mod or no mod, not acceptable. I'm a mod on 2 forums and the admin would jump on me for that.

Tinhorns response to the second post was just a smart ass reaction and IMO understandable.

Hey guys,

Lets get this back on track about working without a chronograph. This thread is about to become useless if something isn't done.

BHP9, Everyone has their own opinion and way of doing things. Feel free to contact LowLight if you want to complain. He and my own conscience are my only bosses. Like I've stated before. I don't do insults. I don't care to get vulgar or argue. And I don't talk trash.

To tinhorn. Watch for pressure signs. If you can find the loading components in handloading manuals, you may be able to find several listings. If you look on the powder makers home page and the bullet makers home page you can get a lot of information that way. You can do some math and get somewhere in the ballpark.

Victor:

I've given MY opinion and that's it. If I wanted to complain higher, I would have and at the same time, sent you a copy in a PM.

AFAIC it's over.

Yes I agree, back to regular programing.