• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

No crimp- right? Check my load

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I am just starting to load for my Savage .308. Right now I am just doing quick and dirty load development.
I am using RL-15. After reading a lot of different load data here it seems as if 43.5gr of RL-15 is a good accurate load. I loaded 10 each of 42.5gr, 43.0gr, 43.5gr, 44.0gr and 44.5gr.
I am loading a 175gr SMK, using CCI LR primers and once fired Federal brass.
My book called for a trim length of max 2.015" and trim to 2.005". I had several pieces of brass that measured 2.010", so I trimmed all of them to 2.010" to be consistant.
I load to an OAL of 2.800". I will measure later on to see what the max length to my lands is. I will then try different cartridge OALs and try jamming slightly into the lands as instructed in the load data on this forum.

The one thing I want to make sure of is that I didn't crimp my rounds. I don't need to- right?

I plan on seeing what powder charge it likes now, then play around with length.

Does it sound like I missed anything?

edited to add: I used RCBS dies on my old 'Chucker. All powder charges were weighed using a hand trickler and a Dillon D-Terminator electronic scale. When I find a load I will set up my powder measure to throw a close charge and trickle the rest.

Jim

Re: No crimp- right? Check my load

nope crimping is not needed. Everything else sounds good, the SMK (if thats what you are using) like a little bit of a jump....load em up to mag length and rock on...if you are hitting a accuracy node then its all good.

Re: No crimp- right? Check my load

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nope crimping is not needed. Everything else sounds good, the SMK (if thats what you are using) like a little bit of a jump....load em up to mag length and rock on...if you are hitting a accuracy node then its all good. </div></div>

I'd go with deadly0311 here as far as crimping goes, no need in a Savage 308 bolt gun (or any bolt gun), which I shoot as well. You can probably seat out to 2.835" and still be off of your lands, but save up some cash and get the Hornady/Stoney point OAL gage and modified cases for any calibers that you shoot, so you'll know for sure.

As far as charge weights go, your rifle will tell you upon experimentation, what works and what doesn't.

As to your trim length, I can go to 2.020" and not be pinching the case mouth, so experiment with neck length, as longer necks will create a better gas seal and send more gas down the bore for better/more efficient use of powder.

Chris