• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes No love for US Optics?

Money Waster

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2017
I've been browsing the scopes forum and have noticed that there is very little mention of scopes from US Optics. As the satisfied owner of an LR-17 model myself, I wonder why it isn't more popular. The glass is good to my eye, and every test I've seen done on it showed perfect tracking. I've also noticed that it shows up in a lot of pictures of law enforcement rigs and firing line photos, but little mention here. Why no love?

MW

My new B17 showed up last week and I have yet to take it out and get it zeroed. If the weather holds up and nothing comes up I plan to get out Saturday, will probably write a review on it. So far playing with it I like it.

You should have been here 6-8 years ago. US Optics was the cat's ass here on the Hide back in the day. It was THE scope to have. Then Vortex and a few others happened.

Reactions: gunlove
I'm a novice at long range precision shooting, and when I did my research on what scope to buy my top criteria was accurate tracking and reliability. I didn't want to have to deal with figuring out if my miss was scope related. It was one variable that I wanted to eliminate from the learning curve. From everything that I read, US optics was one of the few scopes that tracked perfectly regardless of the tester. The same couldn't be said for most of the popular scopes touted as being at the top of the heap. Even Nightforce and S&B had tracking errors in some of the tests that I read. For some guys this isn't a big deal apparently, but for me it was something that I didn't want to deal with. I'm happy with my purchase. So far it has worked for me. I'm glad to hear there are no glaring issues.

Every manufacturer will have issues sooner or later. Whether or not its a usual thing or just because people are fallible and 1 gets out past QC important.

Every manufacturer will have issues sooner or later. Whether or not its a usual thing or just because people are fallible and 1 gets out past QC important.

I don't disagree with that. As someone who has worked in manufacturing for 20 years I do know that some are better at QC than others, and even good companies have system failures from time to time; new employees, manager changes, etc. It all has an impact.

I'm a novice at long range precision shooting, and when I did my research on what scope to buy my top criteria was accurate tracking and reliability. I didn't want to have to deal with figuring out if my miss was scope related. It was one variable that I wanted to eliminate from the learning curve. From everything that I read, US optics was one of the few scopes that tracked perfectly regardless of the tester. The same couldn't be said for most of the popular scopes touted as being at the top of the heap. Even Nightforce and S&B had tracking errors in some of the tests that I read. For some guys this isn't a big deal apparently, but for me it was something that I didn't want to deal with. I'm happy with my purchase. So far it has worked for me. I'm glad to hear there are no glaring issues.

Thats some bullshit right there. Maybe you should ask some of the people on here about the QC at USO....not exactly stellar......

Reactions: 718shooter
I know my NF 4-16F1 sure doesn't have any issues with tracking, guess I got lucky. Lol....

All right guys, I'm not saying that the other manufacturer's don't make scopes that don't track. All that I was saying that from what I could find the USO's performed consistently in the tests that are available for review on-line. I used that information to guide my decision. Nothing more, nothing less. As does everyone else, you do your research and make decisions based on the information that you can find. To be honest, that was one of the reasons why I made the original post in the first place. I was curious to know why others aren't fond of the USOs, because my research indicated that they are a top choice. Based on what I see here in the optics forum, others don't appear to share that opinion, and it raised the question.

And to be honest, on my next build I'll probably top it with a S&B or Nightforce just because I want to see for myself what all the hype is about. At that time I may well decide that my USO isn't so great. I'm not married to it after all. It was simply a choice based on research and budget at the time. As I said, I'm a novice and haven't had the opportunity to look through a ton of glass.

USO does fine. They're not the bees knees anymore because they for the love of God will not keep up with market trends. Hence the B-series just now being released and still lacking in some areas IMHO. They're just now getting to 34mm tubes, locking turrets, still limited room for ring mounts, form factor still remains relatively large, and the reticle selection outside of Horus and the Gen II XR is limited. They've certainly made some advancements but the form factor is absurd to me. I think most USO fans including myself have been calling for something to compete against the S&B short and ATACR 4-16. There was rumor of a 3-23x50mm short that was a prototype that never came to fruition. The B-25 I could play softball with..

Minus my gripes i'll probably have a B-17 if James O'Neal gets his T1H reticle approved by them. I think it's the perfect hunting/comp hybrid. The locking turrets are an improvement, the weight has been cut down some (albeit not much), and from what i hear the glass is top notch.

I've had my SN-3 for almost a decade now and it's the one scope i've never thought of selling. Granted i've not owned S&B, Kahles, NF, or TT. I'm almost 100% sold on a S&B PMII this summer if EuroOptic still has them on sale.

I just got my B25 in MOA. I haven't had the time to put it on a rifle yet as I sold my DT SRS A1. I will be ordering a new one in the coming weeks. It too will be in .308. I know old school. Soon hope to get a 6.5 creed to go with it. But the scope looks great and with the new reticle (IGR) I really like it. Glass as always is fantastic for my eyes. It comes down to what you like and don't let others force you into something you're not happy with. Like you said do your own research and get what you want. Merry Christmas

I just got my B25 in MOA. I haven't had the time to put it on a rifle yet as I sold my DT SRS A1. I will be ordering a new one in the coming weeks. It too will be in .308. I know old school. Soon hope to get a 6.5 creed to go with it. But the scope looks great and with the new reticle (IGR) I really like it. Glass as always is fantastic for my eyes. It comes down to what you like and don't let others force you into something you're not happy with. Like you said do your own research and get what you want. Merry Christmas

I've got mine on top of a .308 also. I know that I probably should have gone with a 6.5 to start, but I kind of feel like everyone should have at least one .308 in the cabinet. It is very accurate. The first time I took it out beyond 200 yards, which was the furthest I'd ever shot up until that day, I was able to hit the 700 yard steel (2 moa target) on my first attempt by dialing the USO. It was dead on. I hit it something like 10 out of 12 shots. For my first time I was exceptionally pleased. I came to find out later that this was a truly fortunate day as subsequent range sessions didn't turn out to have the same degree of success, but at least I knew that my misses weren't the scope!

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog
Some people like them and some don't. I for one have nothing but positive things to say about USO. I'm also a huge Leupold fan, which get no respect on this site too.

I tried one of the B25's. Overall I liked it. I sold it only because for me I felt the crosshair was a bit to thick for my purposes, otherwise nice features.

Ive thought about buying a USO, have Vortex Razor right now. I love how their turrets look but i just cant get over how long the optic is. Thats really the biggest thing holding me back.

When I rebuild my 22-250 to a 308 I'll likely look into putting an ST-10 on it, replacing the Leupold VX-III that's on it now.

I tried one of the B25's. Overall I liked it. I sold it only because for me I felt the crosshair was a bit to thick for my purposes, otherwise nice features.

Have you looked at the new IGR it is thin for USO? I thought it was going to be thick like the older ones but it is not.

I've got an SN3 on a .308 and this particular optic has seen over 28,000 rounds without one single problem - I own MANY of their optics and the very few issues I've had were dealt with within minutes of the package arriving into their hands.
Once they even called me as they were opening the box I had sent and corrected the issue while we were on the phone (maybe 10 minutes).

I have been fortunate to be able to buy all the latest and greatest optics and run each of them side by side with each other and I've done this for the past 15 or so years.
I have not one single complaint about USO and that goes for sending in several USMC Unertl 10X's as well.

Some people like them and some don't. I for one have nothing but positive things to say about USO. I'm also a huge Leupold fan, which get no respect on this site too.

I think leupold had a bad run of Mark 6s though i truthfully just don't like the scope. That and their prices are astronomical for what they're offering compared to the competition.

I just went through the scope. buying process. Had it narrowed down to a razor gen 2, uso b25, nf atacr and a few others. I really wanted to like the USOs but the b25 was like 17 feet long so I went with the more compact razor!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Recently bought a USO LR17 and have zeroed it and put about 60 rounds down range. Bought it off the sample list at SWFA for a pretty good price. Although scope was rated a "B" it looked almost new.

So far I'm very pleased. I really like the reticle and to my eyes the glass is excellent.

Having had about ten USO scopes with four currently in possession this is my perspective. A few years back, when there were fewer competitors in the precision tactical market, a USO scope was highly sought after. However with the entrance of Vortex, Kahles and others the consumer has many more options. IMO options were USO greatest asset and Achilles heal.

As a result of the job shop layout, one of the great features of USO is the ability to Build to Order. There were many options of reticle, tube dia, knob configuration, etc to allow you to order the scope as you wanted. That was unique in the scope world. But the job shop configuration was also the big Achilles heal that resulted in uneven quality from scope to scope and countless combinations.

When USO transitioned from the SN-3 to the LR17 & ER25 designation they reduced the options down to the most popular configurations, which was a move to standardization and improved quality. Around the same time the Vortex Gen2 hit the market which offered the same feature sets, consistent quality, excellent warranty and fast (in stock) delivery) at a very competitive price. Vortex did their market homework and dominated the upper end of the market. Now USO was caught between the proverbial "rock and a hard place" of limited options/stagnant product development against a tide of competitors. USO has always had an excellent warranty but due to the build to order process, repairs/replacements could be lengthy.

The B-series were anticipated to bring USO back to the forefront but instead brought them to parity in a limited market full of choices.

I anticipate the next generation of precision tactical scopes will have electro-optic technology integration.

I don't regret my purchase. So far the scope is doing everything that I've asked it to do. As I gain experience I may decide that I prefer other features, but for now it works for me.

I run a lot of the b25 and b17 scopes. They are awesome. Excellent features and just plain work. I’ve been for fortunate to win my fair share of national level prs and nrl matches with my uso b-25. Tracking machines, super reliable!

I miss the way the old USO's look. They looked like if you ran out of ammo you could beat someone to death with it and you would never loose zero. Honestly loved that looks. The form factor of the B series scopes just doesn't work for me estheticslly.

I miss the way the old USO's look. They looked like if you ran out of ammo you could beat someone to death with it and you would never loose zero. Honestly loved that looks. The form factor of the B series scopes just doesn't work for me estheticslly.

would love to hear what it is about the form factor that doesn't work for you.

would love to hear what it is about the form factor that doesn't work for you.

Its not that it doesn't work, it's simply aesthetics. I'm an Architect so I'm insane. I look at everything and judge the form and the function. The B series scopes work, I just loved the look of the older ones. I loved the knurling on the magnification ring, the deeply scalloped elevation and windage turrets. It looked beefy, rugged, dependable.

It is saying nothing about the usability or ability of the new USO scopes. I am sure they are just as good as the old ones. I really wanted the older 5-25 but by the time I saved up enough money, USO was no longer doing their custom options and the scopes already changed their SN designations to LR and ER.

As i said you can use the B25 for softball... the form factor is pretty huge considering the competition in the same magnification range.