• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos No Mans Land

Re: No Mans Land

That would be a German using a steel cylinder disguised as a tree. They were slowly moved out into no mans land against the British. Worked very well, made the British deathly afraid of poking their heads out above the trenches...Until the British got weapons that penetrated the steel. They didn't in the beginning.

Did they have drop out mag rifles in WW1? It looks like the rifle he's holding has a mag in it.

JRose, sorry, I should have been more specific, but the others nailed it.

As to the magazine rifle. SInce all fine sniper rifles used in the field were not military issue but rather "loaned" rifles from all the fine armament houses and public hands, we see a grand spectrum of weapons. Specifically, the first military box magazine rifle was developed by the French, a better model appeared with some regularity in the Franco-Prussian war, get ready, in 1872. By 1873, the French routinely armed their navy with the .433 rifles and we were off to the races.

Enjoy the attached, from New York Times in 1891. Cut and paste into your browser and travel back in time. That would be 3,000,000 rifles under contract in France alone, the year? 1890.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9904E2DC1339E033A25750C1A96F9C94609ED7CF

At time when the NYT proudly, accurately and routinely reported on weapons without mentioning Brady, I'll be good now.

Below, the full Greener 1910 "Guns and their Developement". You want to start near page 709. A good question deserves a good answer! Copy the hole link and learn as much as you would wish.

http://books.google.com/books?id=3H...X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPA715,M1

You guys let me know when your done looking at those that came before. Photo gallery is thread number count blind so I cant tell if any of this is apealling.

Nice pic of old school hide

These old pictures are great. Thanks for posting them and the info for them.. Very interesting stuff. It makes you wonder why the colonial days they would "line up and shoot". Why not have a couple guys in the back hiding under stuff picking the enemy off?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JRose, sorry, I should have been more specific, but the others nailed it.

As to the magazine rifle. SInce all fine sniper rifles used in the field were not military issue but rather "loaned" rifles from all the fine armament houses and public hands, we see a grand spectrum of weapons. Specifically, the first military box magazine rifle was developed by the French, a better model appeared with some regularity in the Franco-Prussian war, get ready, in 1872. By 1873, the French routinely armed their navy with the .433 rifles and we were off to the races.

Enjoy the attached, from New York Times in 1891. Cut and paste into your browser and travel back in time. That would be 3,000,000 rifles under contract in France alone, the year? 1890.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9904E2DC1339E033A25750C1A96F9C94609ED7CF

At time when the NYT proudly, accurately and routinely reported on weapons without mentioning Brady, I'll be good now.

Below, the full Greener 1910 "Guns and their Developement". You want to start near page 709. A good question deserves a good answer! Copy the hole link and learn as much as you would wish.

http://books.google.com/books?id=3H...X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPA715,M1

You guys let me know when your done looking at those that came before. Photo gallery is thread number count blind so I cant tell if any of this is apealling.

</div></div>

Being a history major in college, that was right up my alley.... Thanks a lot!

RollingThunder, Good pics and even better reading. What this made me do is dig out my Adrian Gilbert books, another "Rifleman went to War" and even pulled a few select months of the (now defunct by a few years) "Tactical Rifle" magazine to read certain articles !

Maybe next match (Yes, all goes well I will be shooting) I can remember to wear my "Special Delivery" t-shirt with the CSA shooter & his Wentworth !!!

Have you read Spicer's book and looked at what he has done with "blocky" urban camo ? Interesting idea for MOUT

Damn,... Gamer and I are old but not that old.
grin.gif

Will, yes I have, both (The T&E of D M as well) well written and both have alot to look at.