• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s No more duck hunting for me

Layton

Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2011
Texas Coast
I would quit if this ever happened.

duck.jpg

Re: No more duck hunting for me

I never started. I hunt everything except waterfowl and turkeys. On purpose.

Don`t like the taste of duck or geese. Tried different ways cooking but still dont like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don`t like the taste of duck or geese. Tried different ways cooking but still dont like. </div></div>

EAT MORE POSSUM!

Bob

Freakin ass hitch hiker !!!!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don`t like the taste of duck or geese. Tried different ways cooking but still dont like. </div></div>

You aren't cooking it right. There is no reason to not like duck.

It literally tastes like tender new york strip when cooked correctly. If you over cook it, it tastes like liver...

Put duck or goose in a slow cooker for 8 hours and it tastes just like roast beef. I used to fool my little sister all the time.

The key with waterfowl is to keep soaking in salt water to remove the blood/liver taste.

There is a saying about duck.............

No way that's real. If it is then the look on that ducks face is really intimidating.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XspZmRz8RMk"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XspZmRz8RMk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trob</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don`t like the taste of duck or geese. Tried different ways cooking but still dont like. </div></div>

It literally tastes like tender new york strip when cooked correctly. If you over cook it, it tastes like liver...</div></div>

Why is it that all you hunters talk about how good the meat is but have to talk about the techniques to get the wild taste out of the meat or how to disguise it. If it was that good it would be sold in all the super markets along with the beef, chicken and pork.

You are right bobcat,if you can't eat it straight then you shouldn't kill it.(vermin are an exception) I find sqirrels are on the border of being edible to me. Teal will not pass my lips if woodchips are nearby.

I shoot a dear every year because I enjoy the summer sausage that our local butcher makes but thats it. I work with several hunters and it's funny, they always say the same thing "You've never had my chili or (whatever they make)" and "yeah I just add some bacon grease and you can't tell the difference."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobcatT870</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Why is it that all you hunters talk about how good the meat is but have to talk about the techniques to get the wild taste out of the meat or how to disguise it. If it was that good it would be sold in all the super markets along with the beef, chicken and pork. </div></div>

I've never heard of the slow cooker method nor has any game meat ever tasted gamey to me. All I know is this was my introduction to mallards, pop skin on chest and peel back, filet out the breasts. Fry it in a skillet or wrap in bacon and cook over charcoal. Either way, it's the best steak you'll ever eat.

They do sell venison, just can't afford it in a store. I guess the store gets rid of the GAMEY taste wrapping it in plastic and setting it on a styrofoam tray...

I enjoy most wild game, except bear. I have done my share of covering up game to sneak it by family and friends. I like duck rare with a sweet sauce, but venison is best served, IMO, grilled with garlic salt and pepper.

Ducks from the Great Salt Lake taste like homeless people's armpits.

I like the picture. Mallard's taste good.

Back in the old days ducks and geese were in high demand to feed people. Restaurants paid the Market hunters to kill them by the thousands. Why would they do this if they tasted bad. They didn't and don't taste bad. If you know what your doing. When I was young I had the same opinion as some.......duck tastes bad.

First things first. A duck isn't a fricken chicken. You can't just throw the s.o.b.'n duck in the oven, and expect it to taste like your local grocery stores rotisserie special.

I learned many years ago to take a fork to the ducks skin....poking holes all over. Not sticking the fork in to deep that the meet in pierced. This gives a place for the fat to run out of while cooking. Don't over cook!!!!!!!!!remember it's not a fricken chicken. If you over cook your duck it will taste like gamey liver.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobcatT870</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trob</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don`t like the taste of duck or geese. Tried different ways cooking but still dont like. </div></div>

It literally tastes like tender new york strip when cooked correctly. If you over cook it, it tastes like liver...</div></div>

Why is it that all you hunters talk about how good the meat is but have to talk about the techniques to get the wild taste out of the meat or how to disguise it. If it was that good it would be sold in all the super markets along with the beef, chicken and pork. </div></div>

Educate yourself my friend. Ducks are sold in grocery stores. If you can't find them now then wait until Thanksgiving or Christmas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiteCliffsOfDover</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobcatT870</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trob</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don`t like the taste of duck or geese. Tried different ways cooking but still dont like. </div></div>

Educate yourself my friend. Ducks are sold in grocery stores. If you can't find them now then wait until Thanksgiving or Christmas. </div></div>

Again I say, if it was that good, Arkansas would have duck farms along with all the chicken farms and it would be sold year round. McDonald's would add the duck sandwich to the menu. It's just what it is. I have had duck before that tasted ok but it's hit and miss. Chicken and beef are always tasty. Duck is not. Sorry my duck loving friend. I will give you that duck is better than goose and deer. Deer was really what my above comment was geared towards mostly.

Ok, look through this window. Chickens are easier to care for. Ducks are messier. Chickens cost less MONEY to raise.

I've killed more ducks than you can imagine, the limits were awesome up in AK in the 80s, we didn't eat the ducks.

We traded the ducks with the natives for red salmon, they loved duck, I also gave my bear to a native family, they loved it.

But I have tried duck, about 142361346 different ways, it was always slightly worse than dirt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gildoom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've killed more ducks than you can imagine, the limits were awesome up in AK in the 80s, we didn't eat the ducks.

We traded the ducks with the natives for red salmon, they loved duck, I also gave my bear to a native family, they loved it.

But I have tried duck, about 142361346 different ways, it was always slightly worse than dirt.</div></div>

Lol, fresh Alaskan salmon, now we are talking!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alreadygone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don`t like the taste of duck or geese. Tried different ways cooking but still dont like. </div></div>

EAT MORE POSSUM!

Bob </div></div>

My grandfather shot a possum and had granny cook it up. He ate a couple of bites and allowed as how it "wont so tasty." and threw it out in the yard for the cats. Next day it was still there. And the next day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiteCliffsOfDover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, look through this window. Chickens are easier to care for. Ducks are messier. Chickens cost less MONEY to raise.
</div></div>

+1 However, I fattened up a few Muscovy ducks on corn and then breasted them and then grilled them Teriyaki style and they were pretty darn good. Especially the Drake - he was a fat pig.

There is a difference in how duck tastes based on where you are geographically. Growing up in the Pacific Northwest I did a lot of duck hunting and ate a bunch of them too. After moving to Arizona and doing some duck hunting I found that ducks hitting numerous sewer ponds between the PNW and AZ made a huge difference in their taste. By the time ducks migrate down here they taste just like the garbage they have been eating.

The two best ways to cook duck that I have found:

Brine the duck for 24 hours.

Place duck in crock pot with a large jar of apricot preserves.

The other way is to simply throw it in the smoker.

acorn fed wood duck breasts wrapped in bacon...

bacon makes everything better..

depending on where they are in from the taste does change,.. had one goose I shot once cut open went straight to the bin, not sure if it was sick or what but smelled really bad

Get to hunt Reelfoot lake this year hoping for a Canvasback duck,..they eat mostly grass so should be tasty !

John

Well as a farm boy I can tell you the biggest problem is how any animal is cared for after the kill.The second problem is what it was fed or ate its whole life. The third is its age. The fourth is its sex. The shit at the store is full of chemicals and injected with more after death(chicken is the worst pork 2nd)You eat females or castrated males and most are less than 1 yr old. Beef is Aged (properly) If your wild game or self raised stock tastes like crap you are doing something wrong. Or you need a new cook

Take your duck cut in strips a dab of cream cheese with a slice of pepper and wrap all that in bacon and throw on the pit we call it hoopties talk about good!

I always thought it tasted fine enough, it is just a lot of work for the size of meat you end up with.

Where did i say it took special techniques or something to disguise it?? All I said was "don't overcook it..."
If you overcook beef, chicken, or pork they taste shitty too.

Also, wild duck tastes much different than farm raised (I think). Every time I try duck in a restaurant, it's the crappy Peking duck or something similar which is oily and tastes completely different than wild ducks I eat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobcatT870</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trob</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don`t like the taste of duck or geese. Tried different ways cooking but still dont like. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiteCliffsOfDover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, look through this window. Chickens are easier to care for. Ducks are messier. Chickens cost less MONEY to raise.
</div></div>

In addition, duck meat is more difficult to cook!! It has nothing to do with the taste. Being a little more difficult to cook correctly keeps people from buying it.

Some bad, some good. First deer I shoot for my wife was excellent. Lived near a spring that had wheat and barley fields around it. Next was a deer I shoot that lived up in the sage brush. She loved deer at first, now never wants to eat another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: montana</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some bad, some good. First deer I shoot for my wife was excellent. Lived near a spring that had wheat and barley fields around it. Next was a deer I shoot that lived up in the sage brush. She loved deer at first, now never wants to eat another. </div></div>

Venison sausage
venison jerky

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trob</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don`t like the taste of duck or geese. Tried different ways cooking but still dont like. </div></div>

It literally tastes like tender new york strip when cooked correctly. If you over cook it, it tastes like liver... </div></div>

^^^ This ^^^

Marinade it over night, cook it over fire HOT and FAST.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DustyJacket</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: montana</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some bad, some good. First deer I shoot for my wife was excellent. Lived near a spring that had wheat and barley fields around it. Next was a deer I shoot that lived up in the sage brush. She loved deer at first, now never wants to eat another. </div></div>

Venison sausage
venison jerky </div></div>

Cant beat a corn fed Iowa whitetail

i'd rather shoot decoys and chew on glass than going duck hunting ever again. Most miserable trip ever.

Nail ur duck to a piece of 2x6. cover in mustard. don't worry bout plucking the feathers. bake for five hours at 500 degrees. Remove very well done duck from 2x6. Eat 2x6. Works well with gar as well.

I shoot a dear every year

better be careful whose dear you shoot. I' pretty attached to mine......

Anyone from south of the US Canada border that eats duck must not look at what sits on every lagoon between Canada and where they were shot. Ducks and geese love shit ponds, esp the divers! Yummy!

Oh, you like duck meat? Well duck down and get some. Used that one on my wife many years ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Layton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would quit if this ever happened.

duck.jpg
</div></div>

makes me think of this

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G1PllrfeiVw#t=17s"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G1PllrfeiVw#t=17s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Immediately reminded me of the Twighlight Zone episode with William Shatner in the planne and the monkey on the wing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobcatT870</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gildoom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've killed more ducks than you can imagine, the limits were awesome up in AK in the 80s, we didn't eat the ducks.

But I have tried duck, about 142361346 different ways, it was always slightly worse than dirt.</div></div>

Lol, fresh Alaskan salmon, now we are talking! </div></div>

You don't like deer meat?!

I quit hunting ducks and/or geese. No matter how I tried to clean, cure, cook, or prepare the meat, it always tasted sort of muddy. I enjoyed going out and doing the hunting, and really liked being out with my buddies, but I figured if I wouldn't eat it, I shouldn't kill it.

I am amazed that that picture and comment got over a page, so I'll bump it to the top for more

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I quit hunting ducks and/or geese. No matter how I tried to clean, cure, cook, or prepare the meat, it always tasted sort of muddy.</div></div>

Which end of the birds were you eating:)

Ducks are bad tasting too me but on the other hand geese cooked in a roo with rice is one of the best meals I have ever had. Went back 5 times and almost made myself sick.

Throw cream of mushroom soup, vegetables, wild rice, and duck breasts in a crock pot. Let cook for 4-5 hours. Enjoy.