• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

No more J. Allen

Hi,

I cannot even imagine what a CNC programmer cost in that area of California.....

Bet you could find one about an hour outside of Huntsville Alabama that contracts to the Agencies/Entities in that area for half the cost.

Sincerely,
Theis

IDK, Huntsville is getting pretty pricey these days (largest population density of PhD's in the US actually).

Apologies if someone has already said this, but is there anyone else out there who paid a deposit on their JAE chassis and were waiting on the build to finish?

On May 6th, I paid a $999.50 deposit towards my $1,995 overall balance to get production started. At the time, Lisa quoted me 6-8 weeks for production. On June 6th, I emailed her just to make sure we were on track for the end of June. Here was her response:

"We're still tracking for later this month. The chassis are being machined right now."

Since July 1st I have sent a few emails, left a voicemail, and sent a message on Instagram. No responses - they went completely dark. I even called Altus Shooting Solutions, one of their suppliers, to see if they knew what was going on. They called Lisa and got her voicemail as well. They just assumed she was on vacation.

I woke up this morning to the message posted on their website and sent an email to Lisa in hopes of reaching some kind of agreement with my deposit. I'll gladly pay the remainder of my balance if the chassis is in fact complete. I'd also be fine with applying my deposit to any similar chassis they may have laying around.

Is there anyone that knows Lisa or Jeff personally that can help with this? I'm sure they are very busy and my little peon self is not a priority. I know $1,000 isn't a TON of money in the grand scheme of things, but it is a lot of money to me and my wife right now. I'm new to this community so don't have many contacts. Any help is greatly appreciated.

View attachment 7112757

View attachment 7112764

Yes. I’m in the same boat. I called Altus yesterday afternoon to ask about them and was told “they just take a long 4th of July holiday”

I’ve been trying to get ahold of them for 2 weeks with no responses.

Thank you to those who advised on contacting my credit card company. I have now done that and they have opened an investigation - we'll see what happens with that.

Losing the money will suck, if it comes to that. But honestly I think I'm more irked that I was just left out to dry. No communication at all - other than being told my chassis is in production and still on track.

Yes. I’m in the same boat. I called Altus yesterday afternoon to ask about them and was told “they just take a long 4th of July holiday”

I’ve been trying to get ahold of them for 2 weeks with no responses.

Jmcmath,

Sorry to hear that. If you paid with a CC I would do like the others have advised and file a charge back.

Reactions: m1match
As difficult as selling used items has gotten I am not surprised that MFG’s are shutting down. It’s just a tough market.

Reactions: stompbox
File the dispute, you'll get it back immediately. The business gets two weeks or something to respond, they won't because they're gone, and you'll keep the refund.

Your card company makes its money off your interest, not the business processing fees, they want you happy. They'll charge the company for the refund and after so many chargebacks they'll terminate the business' ability to use visa/mastercard/amex whatever.

It sucks to see a small company close up shop. But didn’t they only have 1 chassis style but in 300 colors and charge almost twice as much as anything on the market.

I feel their limited items was their biggest downfall.

They were expensive, but not overpriced for what they were. They are functional art. I have worked in machining and manufacturing for 30 years and the JAE product are second to none in terms of quality and attention to detail. I too, thought they were overpriced until I got to handle them at SHOT, I ordered three the next week, no regrets.

It sucks to see a small company close up shop. But didn’t they only have 1 chassis style but in 300 colors and charge almost twice as much as anything on the market.

I feel their limited items was their biggest downfall.
If you ever get the chance to disassemble one. Youd understand why they coat what they do. Especially compared to an MPA or MDT etc etc

One chassis. 2 different action lengths on same platform. Almost unlimited color options. Tons of mounting options...way more than anyone else

They were expensive, but not overpriced for what they were. They are functional art. I have worked in machining and manufacturing for 30 years and the JAE product are second to none in terms of quality and attention to detail. I too, thought they were overpriced until I got to handle them at SHOT, I ordered three the next week, no regrets.

100%.

Those that think MPA and JAE are on the same level are smoking something good. No comparison in quality.

Reactions: Precisiondada
If you ever get the chance to disassemble one. Youd understand why they coat what they do. Especially compared to an MPA or MDT etc etc

One chassis. 2 different action lengths on same platform. Almost unlimited color options. Tons of mounting options...way more than anyone else
I’ve held 2 in my life, I didn’t think they were all that comfortable but they did look well made. Just not my cup of tea

And unfortunately I’ve seen a few Archangels on the range that to me look almost the same and only $189

Attachments

• 36F940C6-7F5A-42E7-9748-1DD24131654F.jpeg
    36F940C6-7F5A-42E7-9748-1DD24131654F.jpeg
    10.1 KB · Views: 65
  • C90C68C7-5DC1-4A8F-9FFD-B4069DE9CE45.png
    C90C68C7-5DC1-4A8F-9FFD-B4069DE9CE45.png
    543.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Haha
Reactions: Basher
I’ve held 2 in my life, I didn’t think they were all that comfortable but they did look well made. Just not my cup of tea

And unfortunately I’ve seen a few Archangels on the range that to me look almost the same and only $189

No comparison between the two, besides a slight resemblance due to the copy cat nature of the Archangel. Quality and features incomparable.

I had the chance to hold the JAllen next to an MPA BA.. the fit and feel was so much nicer than the MPA.

Maybe one day i will get a second hand JAllen.. basically would just buy one that came up, and buy a rifle for it

Well that sure is strange to shut the doors so quickly like that. I hope that everyone in their family is okay.
Who knows maybe Lisa was squirreling away money in the Cayman Islands and now the have enough to jump ship and retire. I'd love to know more about what happened and why, but they would have shared if they wanted us to know.

I sure hope someone picks up the pieces and carries the design forward.

Reactions: kindabitey
Its a shame that a good family run company with an outstanding product has fell by the wayside, hopefully the company will be picked up in the future and support for us that own their stocks will have some support if one goes down ...... which i don't believe will happen often . and if not maybe there will be aftermarket support for them in the future , time will tell ..........

I was actually planning on purchasing one for a 6.5 PRC build instead of a Manners.
Glad I drug my feet.

100%.

Those that think MPA and JAE are on the same level are smoking something good. No comparison in quality.

I own an MPA, never owned a JAE, but have shot a couple of rifles that have them. You're absolutely correct that the JAE is a much nicer chassis, but you know where MPA got them? IMO, it is the fact that they, and other, continuously innovate. Look at how much the XLR's, MDT's and MPA's have evolved from their first production pieces.

And although the JAE is a "nicer" product, the MPA's offer a lot of options/accessories for half the price. I liked the JAE, but when it came down to purchase time, I didn't feel that what their chassis offered justified their price. I am quite certain I was not the only one thinking that.

I own an MPA, never owned a JAE, but have shot a couple of rifles that have them. You're absolutely correct that the JAE is a much nicer chassis, but you know where MPA got them? IMO, it is the fact that they, and other, continuously innovate. Look at how much the XLR's, MDT's and MPA's have evolved from their first production pieces.

And although the JAE is a "nicer" product, the MPA's offer a lot of options/accessories for half the price. I liked the JAE, but when it came down to purchase time, I didn't feel that what their chassis offered justified their price. I am quite certain I was not the only one thinking that.
Take one apart. That's where you understand why they cost what they do. Intricate as shit.

To each their own - beauty of this market.

I've been behind plenty of MPA's and really don't care for them. JAE is a much more refined product, and while they were around, the CS was much better.

I can understand why some people would like MPA, it's a nice product. But the JAE is on a different tier.

So this may have pushed me to Cerakote my JAE M14 chassis in Vietnam Tiger Stripe. I figure, what the hell.

I emailed Lisa last month about curing temperatures and her recommendations were to not to Cerakote. I asked why given 150F can’t be an issue, she told me they had one guy soak a chassis in acetone and another bake at 300F. Well, I’m not that stupid so I figure I’ll give it a go.:D

Reactions: kindabitey
So this may have pushed me to Cerakote my JAE M14 chassis in Vietnam Tiger Stripe. I figure, what the hell.

I emailed Lisa last month about curing temperatures and her recommendations were to not to Cerakote. I asked why given 150F can’t be an issue, she told me they had one guy soak a chassis in acetone and another bake at 300F. Well, I’m not that stupid so I figure I’ll give it a go.:D

Send it to Branden at Custom Gun Coatings. He doesn't cerakote, but paints with KG Kote and does great work. He's done two chassis' for me, one being a JAE. He is also the one that does all the custom paint work for JAE and Altus.

Send it to Branden at Custom Gun Coatings. He doesn't cerakote, but paints with KG Kote and does great work. He's done two chassis' for me, one being a JAE. He is also the one that does all the custom paint work for JAE and Altus.

Thanks but that’s okay, I’m a certified applicator so I’ve got it covered.

had to admit i am saddened by the news of the closing so sort of close to being able to get one , I did love there pages ability to pick and choose and see parts , whether or not it would have been the best choices of parts I will never have the chance to know ... ?

Personally, I think the most innovative part of the chassis, that no one else ever did, was their adjustable magazine well. As one poster put it; "intricate as hell". Don't see any other stocks with adjust magazine catches and the ability to adjust forward and back. And since the magazine is the hardest part of a rifle design....

As to MPA's, yeah I have one of those too. It's an apples to oranges comparison. In my mind, the MPA was built for PRS. The JAE was built around LR hunting/shooting...four legged and two legged, with a more traditional feel. A completely different ball of wax. Comparing the two isn't really an easily done thing, and puts it's value more on the intent of use, not really the quality and design aspects of it.

Where the MPA gets a nod for portability and maneuverability on props, the JAE gets a nod for just out and out comfort. Again, it comes down to intent and priority of characteristics.

JMTCW...

Last edited:

JAE built all that in as a fore thought, and their chassis did go through revision numbers as certain things improved, but I was seamlessly able to mount a bag rider that was only released last year, to ten year old chassis. Same with my Arca rail. They're new, but integrate seamlessly into the interface of the chassis.

Not to mention that the Savage "Accu-stock" design was a copy of the JAE lug tightening concept (I remember calling her up and asking if she knew they had copied the concept from the prototype pictures on their website, when Savage had their product release). Yeah, JAE was that far ahead in thought and design. Pretty amazing when you think about it.

I’ve gotten behind a fair amount of stocks and chassis designs.
All of them were yeah or meh.
Getting behind (and looking about) a JAE is an experience.

Reactions: Basher
I don't disagree what anyone has said regarding any of these chassis (I have trouble figuring "chassis" out in the plural, is it chassi?) Anyhow, as I said, they are extremely nice. In fact, what I didn't type in my post above was that my rifle was a purpose-built comp rifle. Spending the 750.00 on the MPA meant that I don't give as much of a shit when I slam it up against a barrier or bang it against the rungs of a ladder, but then again, I'm kind of a cheap fucker too. I know when I was running my Sentinel, I was always conscientious about not banging it into things, such as barriers and other crap encountered at matches.

It sucks to lose any company in our sport, especially ones that have been as supportive as JAE has been.

Yes they are, Previously they had almost 3 full pages of JAE stocks and accessories, and they now barely go onto a second page.

Even the ones still visible on their site might not be in stock. When you click the individual image it will tell you whether they have it or not.

That's right! 308asspirate will tell you all about it.

Don't pay no never mind to 308Pirate, he just comes off as a dick sometimes. It's just kind of his nature, even if it is unwarranted when he does it. Shrug...some people are just wired that way. Doesn't mean they're necessarily bad people or anything, just inarticulate.

Reactions: Tokay444