• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

No shooting for 6 months, how to keep/add skills

thertel2

Private
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2010
Texas
Had a 2.5" tumor removed from my intra-dural space in my spine, and today the surgeon mentions that because he didn't put in plates or a bone graft due to concerns over needing radiation therapy down the road I cannot risk the recoil. Top it off with no weight training, no running, and no swimming due to damage in my thoracic region.

So what can I do to improve my distance shooting over the next 6 months, or at the very least maintain my skills. I've only into the actual precision bolt gun and AR-10 aspect of shooting in the last 8 months and while my progress has been slow, I do not want any setbacks.

Thanks for any advice.

Thomas

Re: No shooting for 6 months, how to keep/add skills

Rimfire trainer. Set one up just like your center fire and shoot until you can't. I have a shooting buddy of mine who has issues with his retinas, used to shoot reduced loads for awhile but due to ongoing problems has switched exclusively to 22LR.

Whoa... Sorry to hear that man. I hope everything works out for you.
The only recomendation I have is to buy some snap caps for dry fire practice. Other than that, I know they make practice lasers in pistol calibers but I really haven't seen any rifle calibers yet... Doesn't mean that they aren't out there though.

Rimfire trainer or a lead sled.
Hope you have a full and speedy recovery.

I dont have a rifle in rimfire, though I have been wanting a Anschutz 1903/1913 and I guess this would be a good time to pick one up, and I bought a laser trainer for my pistol. I would really like to find a book with all the math for slope shooting, mil ranging, and other techniques, but haven't seen reviews for any.

Why don't you set up a bench in your house and dry fire, or use a mil-dot computer game.

I read the Carlos Hathcock book and according to it he spent lots of time in the barracks in shooting positions dry firing.

I personally wanted to improve my handgunning in the military and on a 2009 deployment I drew and dry fired my M9 30-45 minutes a day. It helped.

If I could have shot a mountain of rounds I would have, but 2500 was all I had, so I dry fired.

You could also use a .22lr like the other poster mentioned. A .22lr with a suppressor or brake would have even less recoil.

yeah go for a 22... There are some heavier ones out there that basically have no recoil.

And its the most fun caliber to shoot... it really helps you learn on the cheap.

Thanks for the great suggestions. I ordered up a copy of Shooter Ready to work on mil-ranging with and I am going on Monday to check out .22 rifles.