• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

No sniper rifle but my Swiss K31 shoots .5 moa

fmsniper

1st Sergeant
Minuteman
I received my K31 back barreled receiver from Ken at Rock Solid industries, he put one of his fantastic mounts on it for me.
P1360551.jpg

drilled out the holes so screws do not take the recoil
P1360557.jpg

covered open parts of the trigger with tape then putty and release agent

P1360554.jpg

Devcon steel bed now the wait for hardening
P1360570.jpg

I always like bedding the trigger guard as well

P1360635.jpg

finished the stock
P1360638.jpg

P1360640.jpg

Piece of Sh&t scope but works fro testing
P1360646.jpg

shot 100 yards 5 shot group of GP100 .5 MOA
75.jpg

Re: No sniper rifle but my Swiss K31 shoots .5 moa

I can do that with a 30/30, good shooting

Well, it may not be the most up to date high-tech rifle, but I guess at .5 MOA it does the same thing as all the high-tech ones. Puts a bullet where it counts. Besides, I'm a big fan of older rifles anyway. Thats one hell of a nice rifle buddy!

How is ejection? I have a K31 as well and really enjoy that rifle. I hate the original stock though...that laminated one looks much better.

that Swiss round is basically a .30-284 and I have hand loaded some accurate loads for it but I always felt that original stock was holding it back.

As for mounting a scope...well I'm not big on offset mounts so I never pursued it but that mount looks very nice and will look into getting one installed. Thanks for posting.

Respectfully,

--KJ

With the design of the stock and action I'd be tempted to install a rail in the rear sight hardware and roll with a scout scope.
Looking at that scope makes my neck hurt.

The RSI over-the-center mount has a tunable blade that aids in fixing ejection issues: http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=54450

Unfortunately, the Swiss Products right-side mount tightens down onto the receiver in such a way that it does nothing permament to the rifle, but sits in a great spot to make free, consistent ejection dicey. The left-side SP mount requires a permanent mount onto the side of the receiver, and is pretty difficult to do for most smiths without serious carbide because of the K31's massive hardening, but it does pull the scope to the other side and keeps turrets, etc. away from the ejection path.

Beautiful work, I would be loathe to drill and tap the receiver though. I feel like it would take away any resale value from the gun.

About the stock though, all you did was refinish the exterior and steel bed the interior? Where did you get the laminate stock?

Nice job on the furniture and the bedding. I have installed two of the Rocksoild mounts and you are correct about the need of carbide tooling. That is some hard steel.

I use the SP clamp on mount on my personal K31. You have a great group from that rifle, I'm happy to get moa.
K2501.jpg

I do have another option for shooting Swiss 7.5, this one has been a good grouper and very comfortable to shoot.

sniper37.jpg

sniper39.jpg

sniper01.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madcratebuilder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice job on the furniture and the bedding. I have installed two of the Rocksoild mounts and you are correct about the need of carbide tooling. That is some hard steel.

I use the SP clamp on mount on my personal K31. You have a great group from that rifle, I'm happy to get moa.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/Swiss%20K-31/K2501.jpg

I do have another option for shooting Swiss 7.5, this one has been a good grouper and very comfortable to shoot.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/Swiss%20K-31/sniper37.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/Swiss%20K-31/sniper39.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/Swiss%20K-31/sniper01.jpg
</div></div>

Here I sit with a grin on my face. Somebody, with a Czechmauseritis cheek pad on a K31 and a Zfk55 to boot is a helluva lot more of a Swiss rifle type than they're letting on. I've only had the opportunity to <span style="font-style: italic">touch</span> a Zfk55 <span style="font-style: italic">once.</span> Nice, nice rifle!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fmsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">stock is from Boyds

ejection works fin with Rock Solid mount </div></div>

I checked their website, and didn't see a K31 stock. Also didn't find it in the Boyd's cross reference.

Was it the uninletted Boyd's classic?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: limitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fmsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">stock is from Boyds

ejection works fin with Rock Solid mount </div></div>

I checked their website, and didn't see a K31 stock. Also didn't find it in the Boyd's cross reference.

Was it the uninletted Boyd's classic? </div></div>

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Ria-Schmidt-Rubin-K-31-s/154.htm

Thanks GRuff. Don't know how I didn't find that, but I searched their site multiple times for "K31".

I'm really tempted to order the stock tonight, and seeing if I can do what the OP did. However, I don't have much experience, or any experience.

Once I got the semi-inletted stock, what steps will I have to do in order to get that kind of result? The website mentioned that the stock might have to be "significantly modified" in order to achieve a proper fit between wood and metal. I'd appreciate any helpful guides or links.

Curious, who make that type of stock and why the difficulty of getting it imported to states?

nice looking rig, looks like alot of work went in to it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garrett4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Curious, who make that type of stock and why the difficulty of getting it imported to states? </div></div>

I think some of the difficulty lies in the fact the stock is priced at over $1100! That's without shipping, import fees, taxes, etc..

Not only that, it's a laminate stock rather than composite. I'm really seeing an issue with a stock for a $200 surplus rifle that would run me more than an off the shelf complete rifle complete with about 500 rounds of ammo. Great for the Swiss dude who has to have everything to do with the K31 but really? You're almost a fourth of the way to a ZFK with the stock. Jeez, add the funky scope mount and you are a third of the way to a ZFK! Add his brake and you're almost half way to a rifle that will hold it's value and appreciate in a way that a sporterized K31 will NEVER do.

Solution in search of a problem at that kind of money....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.richnerwaffen.ch/ </div></div>

From their "used rifle" pages:

PSG_31_Winter.JPG

And another K-31 bites the dust.
frown.gif

Buy a modern rifle and leave the historic ones to those of us that can appreciate them without making permanent modifications.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Volucris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And another K-31 bites the dust.
frown.gif

Buy a modern rifle and leave the historic ones to those of us that can appreciate them without making permanent modifications. </div></div>

Do you know for a fact that he began with an all-matching numbers example that had an original stock? Or is it possible that he had a stockless barreled action and decided to do something with it? Even so, it's his stuff to play with as he sees fit.

I believe those who keep historic firearms should keep them as historic firearms by not altering them permanently. If it's missing the stock, find a replacement. They are not supposed to be modern rifles as the majority of their value resides in their historical status.

Just because something is partially damaged it doesn't logically conclude that it's correct to completely turn it FUBAR.
5rE1I.jpg

That's how a K-31 should look and always stay looking. They're not made anymore, never will be made again, and are dwindling in numbers. It's an endangered species of Swiss precision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Volucris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe those who keep historic firearms should keep them as historic firearms by not altering them permanently. If it's missing the stock, find a replacement. They are not supposed to be modern rifles as the majority of their value resides in their historical status.

Just because something is partially damaged it doesn't logically conclude that it's correct to completely turn it FUBAR.
5rE1I.jpg

That's how a K-31 should look and always stay looking. They're not made anymore, never will be made again, and are dwindling in numbers. It's an endangered species of Swiss precision. </div></div>

Balls. There is no shortage of K31 rifles in original condition to satisfy every possible collector of them twice over. The damn things are so hard to modify due to lack of interest, incredibly tough receivers and odd ball caliber that there is no risk of them not surviving the odd US or Swiss civilian market bubba.

Value? So many of them were imported here that value is through the floor unless, like me, you own one of the very rare ZFK 55 sniper variants. I own a couple of the regular K31 and like them very much. If there was a simple way to mount a scope on one, I might consider it. As it is, it's gonna be somewhat of a pain in the ass to mess with.

The K31 isn't like a small ring '96 Mauser made in Oberndorf that I saw buggered up the other day; that one really made me upset. I see your point but there were over 500,000 K31 rifles manufactured which hardly makes them rare or even endangered.

Grow up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fmsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sent you my phone number if you need help call me </div></div>

I hope you call this guy. He's got more experience at this than most people.
Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the gman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Volucris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe those who keep historic firearms should keep them as historic firearms by not altering them permanently. If it's missing the stock, find a replacement. They are not supposed to be modern rifles as the majority of their value resides in their historical status.

5rE1I.jpg

That's how a K-31 should look and always stay looking. They're not made anymore, never will be made again, and are dwindling in numbers. It's an endangered species of Swiss precision. </div></div>

Balls. There is no shortage of K31 rifles in original condition to satisfy every possible collector of them twice over. The damn things are so hard to modify due to lack of interest, incredibly tough receivers and odd ball caliber that there is no risk of them not surviving the odd US or Swiss civilian market bubba.

Value? So many of them were imported here that value is through the floor unless, like me, you own one of the very rare ZFK 55 sniper variants. I own a couple of the regular K31 and like them very much. If there was a simple way to mount a scope on one, I might consider it. As it is, it's gonna be somewhat of a pain in the ass to mess with.

The K31 isn't like a small ring '96 Mauser made in Oberndorf that I saw buggered up the other day; that one really made me upset. I see your point but there were over 500,000 K31 rifles manufactured which hardly makes them rare or even endangered.

Grow up. </div></div>

+1

volucris, coming from a country that may arguably be responsible for the "conversion"/recycling or just good old hacking of more Mausers post-1945 than any other, your concern for the preservation of historic artefacts, though well intentioned, is probably a little late.

Although I agree 100% with the importance of saving rare/historic/collector grade rifles, saving a run-of-the-mill, "nothing special" or shot out surplus rifle by well-executed modification or restoration is not a crime!

IMHO there are three distinct needs for these types of rifle:

1) Replica sniper variants. The classic rifle enthusiast who can either not afford to but a get an original due to cost/rarity or the enthusiast who wants to shoot the sniper variant regularly but does not want to risk buggering a rare/valuable original with regular use

2) Older shooters who can no longer get the results they want with iron sights due to deteriorating eyesight but who wish to retain a favourite rifle and continue to use it so investigate ways of adding a scope

and

3) Shooters/gunsmiths who want to use a specific action for project or new rifle builds. I know a local dealer who, as recently as a couple of years ago, was still sourcing Mauser actions across Europe for resale to smiths like Holland and Holland for their rifles. This market has existed for a very long time both in the US and Europe and probably always will as long as shooting exists as a recreational sport.

The first two demographics are growing in the UK and, I suspect in the US - especially with Vintage Sniper Rifle competitions growing in popularity.

These old rifles are tools designed to do a job and they should be used for that purpose, not left to rot in cupboards, safes and museums.

And let's be honest - how many true old battle rifles still exist in the condition in which they left the factory? Years of field use, arsenal or unit level repairs and modifications will have had their effect.

With the K31 figures above there should be more than enough stock available for all purposes. Just try looking at Simpsons web site....695 Swiss rifles of which a high proportion are K31...

They are good, accurate and affordable rifles....

However as for the true "historic" value of the K31, whilst it may have a place in the evolution of firearms, I'm not sure that it ever contributed to, or participated in world changing events in the way that the Enfield, Springfield, Garand, Mauser, Moisin did.....other than perhaps keeping kids out of the chocolate mines and Nazi gold safe in the vaults under the Cantons!
wink.gif

Guys, I like vintage rifles and collect them as well. Also I'm a shooter.

If a guy collects parts or parts of a rifle that don't match and or has been taken apart and altered, or the barrels bore is pitted and rusted or shot out beyond any way of saving it etc....and he is willing to dump a ton of money into it to rebuild it etc...the way he wants to and does a nice job in doing it I've got nothing to say. He spent his hard earned money etc....and it's his choice.

That's like people who own vintage World war 2 fighter planes, bombers etc....some people say they should only be in museums but for the people and organizations who spend millions restoring/rebuilding them and want to fly them I applaud it. If it wasn't for these people we wouldn't be able to see them fly and hear the roar of they're engines and be reminded of what other generations fought for and had to do etc....Yes there is a chance the plane could crash and get destroyed etc....but I would be willing to take that chance to enjoy it one way or another!

Again as long as it's not a hack job and the guy is happy with it I tip my hat to him.

Later, Frank

A shortage of K-31's??!!!! I better pick up the classifieds and buy all of them in there since those dumbies are selling them for $225/ea.!!!!

My local dealer has just brought in 10 or so from Italy, all in excellent condition. The prices suggest they are not a rarity! I've got one put aside for the collection, look like a lot of fun to shoot and use for the military comps along side the Enfields and 6.5x55's

Good looking Job fms.
I remember a friend showing up with one about 10 years ago with those little white 10 round boxes of ammo with the red wax ring around the bullet.
K31's are good shooting rigs and the quality of the machining is impressive. Even the bulk swiss ammo spoke of quality and at the time, the cost of the ammo was cheap by comparison to our mil 30 cal stuff. Last show I was at, I was shocked to see how much that ammo went up in price, but no ammo has skated that issue..

fmsniper, you have a beautiful rifle there and quite a shooter, however it looks like you have a 1 MOA gun rather than .5 MOA. 1 MOA is nothing to scoff at from a K31.

They're definitely shooters.

Not exactly the best rest.
k31-100y3.jpg

3 @ 100 yards, Prvi ammo.
k31-100y2.jpg

my K31 at 616 yards with 178 a-max