• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nobody ever talks about levels, why?

nnnn16

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
May 14, 2010
Texas
I'm extremely new to the LR thing and I am setting up an R25 to hopefully hit targets at 1000 to 1200yds. I'm trying to decide on a level for the rail. There is very little talk about these. Is that because I don't need one? If you guys aren't using one then how do you know you are level, and you're able to trust your adjustments? If this is a stupid question please be nice. Like I said, "I'm new here".

Re: Nobody ever talks about levels, why?

Sorry if it is not as glamorus as some may make it seem.
The more you shoot, the better you will know how to plop your gun down.
Why would you want to have to look look at something else, when your head has it right already?

Many use different bases.
Most do not just shoot paper.
We would rather work together, to see what works, than pass judgment on others.
Others may get pissed off, for lack of oportunity to learn more.
This is meant to be fun, not a pissing match!

It has been talked about. You have a couple of very high quality options. US Optics is very ruged and works great.
Also try the Horus.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1686289
pr_4_asli.jpg

Levels are very much needed in the LR game. I use USO rail mounted levels on all my rigs and leave them on.

Attach the level to your rail and then put another level on the elevation turret. Tighten the ring screw down when they match. You are trying to "plumb to your scopes vertical adjustmet". The cross hair may not appear (or actually be) level when you do this.

The idea is when you make a 35minute vertical adjustment, you don't also skew the crosshairs right or left a couple minutes. You should be shooting with both eyes open and glancing at the level bf you take the shot will come easily.

A level is a SIMPLE piece of effective equipment. Why complicate it?

Anyone know if the Horus' pic mount will clear a 35mm tube mounted low to the rail?

I use the B-square level that mounts to the rail. When I first got it, I would set up my shot like normal, then check the bubble. I was amazed at how far off I was.

The odd thing about this is, I'm a finish carpenter by trade and normally can tell if something is less than 1 degree out of plumb or level. But for some reason, when I lay behind my rifle, it all goes to hell. Perhaps it's because of the way I tilt my head to achieve a cheek weld, but I do find the bubble valuable.

I sneak a peek as I'm stetting up and then make a quick adjustment (I leave my podlock snug so I can tilt the rifle with a little effort).

John

I use them on my long range rigs, my scopes are approx 2.75 inches above my bore so any cant is amplified. I think they are a great help for me at least but as others have said some people seem to have a better knack for being able to keep their crosshairs perfectly level. They aren't that expensive and are a great aid for double checking right before sending one downrange.

Topstrap

I use a B-square style of level and SniperTools ACI for both of my edges. Im building a chey tac and I think Im going to switch to the Horus style. The snipertools ACI works, but its a bit small and sometimes I struggle to find the correct cosign. The Horus ACI only changes by twos and it's easy to split the twos in half (if that makes sense)

zman

I really like that Horus, I have never seen that. Pretty inexpensive also. I did read where one of the reviews said that unless it was a sunny day, the cosign numbers were hard to read? I dont know personally, but I will let you know when it comes in.

whats nice about this Vortex you can see the bubble without moveing your head away from scope view
scopelevel2.jpg

scopelevel1.jpg

Go-Faster, I've got a similar level that I got from Sinclair but I have it mounted in front of my turrets. I really like the design because, like you say, I can see it at anytime and that comes in pretty handy when I'm hunting and trying to shoot in an awkward position.

levels are for retards.....

just wet your thumb, jab it into the wind, put the beer down and figure the moon drift and torch it off.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">levels are for retards.....

just wet your thumb, jab it into the wind, put the beer down and figure the moon drift and torch it off..... </div></div>

Now that me me chuckle a bit!!

I don't use a level, my natural cant eleminates spin drift....it's really quite handy.

GO-FASTER, you scope clashes with your......ah hell, it clashes with everything!

Im running a U.S. OPTICS level. works great

i am much more worried about the affect of the moon's gravitational poll on the bullet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carlinb625</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what did you makr it out of (or how )?
</div></div>

The ring top is an accessory available for the Burris XTR rings.
I cut a slot across the top with a ball-end mill.
CIMG0156.JPG

I took a vial out of a cheap level.
I purchased a steel sleeve from Home Depot, cut a scallop out of the top for viewing, and a double angled cut on the bottom so it could slide onto the pic rail on the ring.
Slide the sleeve onto the rail, slide the vial into the sleeve to lock it in, and seal the ends with black RTV.

I have found the only one I can effectively see without breaking my cheek weld / sight picture is the USO Flip Out. The ones that are mounted to the top or on the scope ... I have to break cheek weld to check it. I set the bubble on the line closest to the rifle then crank the pod lock ... then the cheek weld pressure pretty much levels it out. There are a lot of options but thats the one that works for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't use a level, my natural cant eleminates spin drift....it's really quite handy.

GO-FASTER, you scope clashes with your......ah hell, it clashes with everything! </div></div>

that scope was on a all black gun and it looked nicer then on this edge ,only spare scope I had

Thanks for the pics. Ordering a 35mm Vortex cant device right nwo for my new IOR optic. Just tried a USO folder and it will NOT clear the magnification ring... that thing is huge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GO-FASTER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
scopelevel1.jpg
</div></div>

Something in this picture isn't level. If you draw a line across the top of your bubble level and one across the top of your elevation turret you will see that they are not parallel. Either the optic is clocked CW or the bubble indicator is CCW a few degrees.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GO-FASTER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whats nice about this Vortex you can see the bubble without moveing your head away from scope view
scopelevel2.jpg

scopelevel1.jpg
</div></div>

What the hell happened to your scope?!?

After getting a level set up on my rifle I won't roll without one! In the areas I shoot I found my self setting up and thinking I was good but the level was saying a different story, tuns out my wind calls are better than I thought. Just another tool to take a variable out, I like the Hollands, I mount it between the front ring and parallax knob so it's far enough away to clearly focus on, I can see it perfectly over the knob with my left eye without breaking position in the slightest way.

I use the US Optics flip out level on the rail. I can easily see it without breaking cheek weld. I have shot in some uneven terrain where I thought I had the gun level but the bubble showed that not to be. I think it's a great tool to use.

I was unable to run a USO rail mount swivel like I had planned due to clearance issues so I opted for the 35mm tube-mounted Vortex ACD. It was about half the price and seems like a very well built unit that should suit the needs just fine.

IMG_2443.JPG

does this look better?
with a 5 shot group today
edge1.jpg

edge2.jpg

Yep, looks better. Looks like either way it's shooting good for ya so who cares what we say!