• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Non AR semi auto

VandelayIndustries

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2022
Ask
Looking for options on a non AR semi for hunting. Prefer something factory or something that won’t need much modification. Primary use is mid range hunting and mid to long range steel. $1500 or less.

Mini14 comes to mind first if you're trying to stay 223/556

M1 Garand et al if you want bigger rounds

M

M1A will get it done

cSEuCMm.jpg

Honestly its really hard to beat the original big 3 battle rifles if you are ruling out a 308 AR. You can find FAL's G3's and M1A's in that price range. Personally I would lean towards a 16 inch Para FAL, or maybe a standard 18 inch M1A, While their day has come and gone, I can appreciate the engineering that went into these guns in the 1950's. Very cool guns

Depends on what you're hunting.
Or, if the answer is "everything" Move that decimal 1 position and go M107A1.

Benelli R1. in 30-06 or 300 WM . I Found that the 300 wm was real accurate with box ammo, also recoil was 'real tame' . plus it lightweight easy packing .

Reactions: Noobilicious
Looking for options on a non AR semi for hunting. Prefer something factory or something that won’t need much modification. Primary use is mid range hunting and mid to long range steel. $1500 or less.

Remington 7400

I’m not a fan of 7400/742’s. Wondering if you’d get a good cheek weld with the M1A if you put a pic rail and optic on top? I did run across the SCR lower but they seem to be discontinued unfortunately

I’m not a fan of 7400/742’s. Wondering if you’d get a good cheek weld with the M1A if you put a pic rail and optic on top? I did run across the SCR lower but they seem to be discontinued unfortunately
You will need to raise the check weld as the optic will sit up higher, to solve this I moved my M1A from original stock to a ProMag Archangel.. Or see the solution used in post #7.