• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Non marking scope rings/mounts

M-54

Minuteman
Jul 31, 2012
OREGON
I have a nice 30 mm scope to mount on a D.T. SRS and I would like to find some non marking rings/mounts. I am aware of Burris Signature rings but don'know the reputation for marking of many others. I would appreciate ideas from some of you who have been through a lot of scopes.

Re: Non marking scope rings/mounts

Here's the two I'd try if you just want rings: Seekins, and American Rifle Company. I have Seekins on one rifle now, and am going to change another rifle's rings to the ARC. That said, I have a DTA and use the DTA mount on it instead of separate rings.

Not sure why people get too worked up on marks on a scope though. It's a tool, not a museum piece.

There's no such thing as 'non-marking rings'. Quality rings, mounted properly, don't leave 'marks'.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's no such thing as 'non-marking rings'. Quality rings, mounted properly, don't leave 'marks'. </div></div>

^^ Graham for the WIN!! ^^

And another big +1 for high quality, precision rings and bases like those from Seekins, Badger Ordnance, etc., etc.

Burris Signature rings are "non-marring". Have had no problems with Badger rings. I put Badger rails on everything so when I switch a scope from rifle to rifle it's just two 1/2 inch bolts and I'm done. Scope is level, eye relief is correct, etc.

Night force uni-mount is a 1 piece that I have had great luck with. Very nice quality.... 1 piece mounts are super easy and difficult to screw up.

I have a set of Burris XTR low in 30mm. The SWFA SS 3-9 I had mounted on the rifle came out of the rings after 9 months and maybe 200 rounds of .308, with nary a mark. They seem like pretty good rings for the $.

Thanks all, I have been leaning toward Aadland, but hadn't considered a couple others that were mentioned. Seems nearly every scope for sale has mention of ring marking or lack of. Oh well that will probably be the last pristine spot left when everything else is worn off. Have never sold a gun or scope yet.

Actually there non-marking rings. Ours. Only two screws per ring, with complete recoil proof grip and repeatable, reliable return to zero.

If I can help in any way please let me know.

Thanks

If you want rings, go with Seekins. If you want a mount, go with Spuhr. I have a DTA SRS and went with Spuhr for the cant.

If the Spuhr is out of your price range and you want to save some money, look at the DTA mounts as well.

Any way you go, as long as you buy from a quality manufacturer (Seekins, Badger, Spuhr, etc.) and follow their mounting instructions (Torque spec, rosin, loctite, etc.) you won't have any troubles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quality rings, mounted properly, don't leave 'marks'. </div></div>
could you specify what characteristics dictate a "Quality ring" (excluding high tag price & or name), maybe like a specific type alloy, i.e- 6061 or 7075 aluminum.... maybe high or low carbon steel. or a chromoly steel etc.
thx

In my experiance if you run a lapping bar through a cheap set of rings you should be fine. I have a set of burris XTR's Ive run on alot of guns, they are lapped and never left a mark. I run Aadmount rings on my main bolt gun and love em. My decision was between aadlands stuff and ARC. Aadland won because they fit the look of my rifle better. I love the aadlands, but would have no problem buying ARC which i might on my next build.

What I consider "high end" would be something fully machined. Most rings under the 70$ mark are extrusions. That being said not all extrusions are bad, and not all billet rings are good. Go by reviews and get what fits your budget and your style. If your still concerned then lap them. Its a fairly easy straight forward process, and atleast Jon Aadland say specifically in his warrenty statement. That lapping will not void your warrenty.

My $0.02

Quality is descibed as 905590 unobtanium secret composite aluminum alloy, these are the only type of rings i use.

Seekins, badger and NF, just to name a few are all gtg

I also agree on optics being a tool. Regardless ring marks or not, the scope will still function and serve its purpose. And if the optic is in demand or from a reputable manufacture (Bushnell, SWFA, NF, S&B, Premier, etc) you will be able to sell the optic for the same price as ones without ring marks. Just my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jerseymike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quality is descibed as 905590 unobtanium secret composite aluminum alloy</div></div>
HA....I had a coffee pot made out of that once..lol
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhenerie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I consider "high end" would be something fully machined. Most rings under the 70$ mark are extrusions</div></div>
even with the extrusions, it could be cleaned up and given a equally even contact patches by lapping them first. People lap the "Quality Rings"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnny-bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People lap the "Quality Rings" </div></div>But I have no idea why. Because they often do more damage that way then by leaving them alone.

If you'd stop taking the scope out of the rings to admire it and go out and shoot instead, whatever marks might be there won't bother you. While I use Badger, Spuhr and Seekins rings, I don't know if they leave marks or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually there non-marking rings. Ours. Only two screws per ring, with complete recoil proof grip and repeatable, reliable return to zero.

Thanks</div></div>

+1 for ARC, i have them, and what he says is entirely true

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chris m</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually there non-marking rings. Ours. Only two screws per ring, with complete recoil proof grip and repeatable, reliable return to zero.

Thanks</div></div>

+1 for ARC, i have them, and what he says is entirely true </div></div>

Thanks mate. Working on a video demo of the rings and the return to zero... stay tuned!

I had ARC M10's on a Vortex Razor and they left marks. Faint marks but marks are marks. Just sayin'. Rings marks don't bother me unless they scratch. Seekins are still the best rings on the planet, IMO. They might not be able to lift up a truck like the new APA's but they never move and return to zero better then any others I have tried. And I never get marks with Seekins. YMMV.