• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s None of us can drive stick

LeviBerg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I can make a 5+2 or a 10/13/15/18 speed go from Point A to Point B, but this old guy is something else. 5 transmission gears plus 4 ranges is something else.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2mf6AUbjT-s&feature=fvwrel"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2mf6AUbjT-s&feature=fvwrel" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>
I honestly think "feeling" a vehicle while you drive is a dying art.

Re: None of us can drive stick

My truck is a manual, and I have no idea what I just saw...

That's an old 3 X 4 (12 speed). The stick with the green knob is the range and the black is each gear within the range. When changing range and gear at the same time, both sticks have to pass through neutral simultaneously.

Notice he uses the clutch just once to double into a higher gear. All the previous gears are floated, using engine speed to match the synchronizers in the transmission.

There are also 4 X 4 and 5 X 4 transmissions for the larger trucks.

They also made a 3-stick Mack

3rd stick was aux. box with low, high and reverse. Changing gears in reverse is a blast and there are plenty of options for forward gears.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is the approx year make of that truck?

</div></div>

It's a Mack and I am guessing late sixty's

Its honestly not all that hard. A dying art yes, but learn-able. Where I work (site construction) we have quite a few older Macks that are double stick like this that we use for strictly on site trucks (they are a far cry from DOT- passable/road worthy). My car is stick and the first time I got into a double stick dump truck it took me a good half hour before I had it down "good enough". (and yes, all their syncros are shot- who needs them anyways?)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIG700</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> (and yes, all their syncros are shot- who needs them anyways?)</div></div>

Sliding those properly timed gears into one another is on the verge of being akin to meshing with a finely tuned woman
laugh.gif

Yeah but can he talk and text on his cell phone at the same time?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5Redman8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah but can he talk and text on his cell phone at the same time? </div></div>

HA!

I worked pipeline for a few summers. We had an older guy who could stir his coffee w/a backhoe who drove these things like second nature.

my dad used to drive one, when i was younger i would sit in the passenger seat and watch in amazement . it was a show to say the least.
he keeps saying he would like to put those damn ricer kids in a three on the
and just sit back and laugh

That would be around a 58 B model Mack. My Dad taught me how to drive a truck in one of those in 1992....longest day of my life. Havent drove a truck since.....

TW
Bowling Green, KY

We had an old firetruck when I worked at the sawmill up in Northern B.C. It just had a "Ruxell" (or whatever the hell the damn thing was called) which was just a simple pinion reducer on the differential. That was fun to drive, after we turned it into a welding truck.
1L-1H-2L-2H-3L-3H-4L-5L-4H-5H. Weird shift pattern, but it sure hauled.

Secondly, driving my Dad's '77 F-250 in Vancouver was interesting. Especially when loaded with a camper as well as pulling a trailer. Stopping on a hill, then turning right at the crest (stop sign) was more than interesting when there are 4 pedals on the floor, and you're driving stick. Fancy footwork (because no handbrake) to get going, without rolling back and jack-knifing OR taking out the line of vehicles that have stacked up behind you.

But all of this is NOTHING compared to the "Poetry" that this gentlemen creates, driving that Twin-Stick, above.

I can appreciate harmony with machinery. Totally different though, than the "matrimony with machinery" that others around here make. I don't even wanna go there....
smile.gif

That's a fun video to watch, I have driven an old International that had a 4spd with a dual range box behind it but nothing like that.

I currently drive a Duramax with a 6spd manual trans., last year my daughter, who was 10 at the time, asked me why I had to move the grear shifter on my truck so much when all the normal people just step on the gas and go.

If you like a stick shift you could always try a Mercedes Unimog like used overhere in Europe. 24 forward gears and 24 reverse!

It can go almost anywhere including inclines of over 110 percent!

This little truck is used for all kinds of jobs from "standard" jobs in agriculture to army or railroadconstruction (including a double set of regular wheels and train wheels.

U8.jpg

When I first got in the fire service we had an old surplus tender that had a 5+4. There was only a couple guys on the department that could drive that beast.

Pretty cool to say the least, though what really blows my mind is the lack of range on that engine... seriously sounds like he's only running 1-200 rpm's before shifting again!

Mike

that was cool, maybe someday, they'll put the paddle shifters on the steering wheel in those big trucks.

Back in the day it was said that any driver who waved at you while driving a B model Mack with a married transmission had just missed a gear.

You were certainly too busy to text and drive with those old tranny combinations.

I started out on an old cabover KW with a 318 detroit and a 4x4. Definitely kept you busy in Colorado where 318's had problems with even the small hills.

The last driving job I had was behind a 550 Cat with an 18 speed. It was like driving the wife's Lincoln Town Car compared to the old 4x4 318 combination.

Driving a truck with two transmissions is one of those skills that's by and large gone the way of the dinosaurs - kinda like machine tools that aren't CNC. They both require operator input -thought and an understanding of your equipment is required.

Today's generation of CDL driver schooled steering wheel holders with their high torque rise engines and automated shifting transmissions are just another sign of the times. Technology is replacing education. The computor does the thinking.

The synchros weren't worn out in those old transmissions - they never had any to start with. The driver matched engine speed and output shaft speed with his right foot - you hear it and you feel it. You are the synchronizer. And you do it a lot with those old engines, especially a two stroke Detroit Diesel, they have to be up against the governer or they don't pull anything.

I would just as soon have a 5 and 4 as anything else. You just have to pay attention, which is what you ought to be doing all along.

I agree a 100%. I haven't heard anyone say much good about those autoshift 10 speeds yet.

Awesome video, thanks for posting it. I've chased a few Bulldog's tails, but this one I think I'd actually pay to have that experience. Beautiful old truck, thanks again for posting!

i drove an old 68 Mack with the same trans.....totally sucked goin through the Cross Bronx Epsswy, w/9000 gallons of gas. Not the funnest truck to drive, top speed was 68 mph.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: athhud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pssh try it when the synchronizers are shot.... </div></div>

yep, and gettin out yer toll $$ AND gettin directions on the box all at the same time.

A fella that could drive one of them probably even knew how to adjust his own brakes...and maybe even back up! Kind of miss the days when OTR guys were professionals.

You know the difference between a Swift driver and a toilet??

A toilet can back up.

We had a old tandem grain truck that was a 5+4. If you missed a shift you would get to start all over, yes the synchronizers were out of it. I mainly used 1-5 and 3-4 to get around. If you were really good you could put one arm through the steering wheel and shift both at the same time.

Btw- if you can back a two wagons at once you can back anything

I would get a headache trying to figure that thing out. I'll stick with the Eaton Fuller 18 speed, no double clutching needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 671RTO9513</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Driving a truck with two transmissions is one of those skills that's by and large gone the way of the dinosaurs - kinda like machine tools that aren't CNC. They both require operator input -thought and an understanding of your equipment is required.

Today's generation of CDL driver schooled steering wheel holders with their high torque rise engines and automated shifting transmissions are just another sign of the times. Technology is replacing education.

</div></div>
I didn't go to truck driving school. My boss put me in a worn out Volvo with a 13 speed and said, you'll figure it out. Lol!!! 1 day of driving all over a place I call hell(Big Sky) made me get get a hang of it real fast. My life depended on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that was cool, maybe someday, they'll put the paddle shifters on the steering wheel in those big trucks. </div></div>
They already do that. I've never driven a truck with one and hopefully never will.

I might be wrong, but i saw 3 distinct shifting patterns while shifting both the range and gear at the same time. I saw no clutch shift, clutch on one and no clutch on other while shifting, and clutch on range and clutch on gear shift.

I'l see if I can explain it. What you have is a front transmission called the main box, and a transmission seperately mounted behind it, called the auxiliary. On a Mack, and some old Spicers and Fullers, the two boxes are one unit, called married, but operate in the same fashion.

Let's say we are loaded and we'll probably need to use all the gears to get wound up. We'll start out putting the main box in 2nd, and the auxiliary in underdrive. We ease up on the clutch to get her rolling, and squeeze down on the fuel. When the engine has reached enough rpm to go for another gear, we will apply a little forward pressure to the auxiliary stick and come off the throttle. The stick will pop into neutral and we'll move it over to the right and as the engine rpm drops to match output shaft speed (road speed), a little pressure and she'll drop right back into direct. This all happens in a very short space of time. Then the next shift is to move the Aux to over drive.
Now we compound shift by first shifting the main to 3rd, then right after that, shifting the auxiliary back into underdrive.
Go through that all again till we're up to speed.
Usually, we only use the low speed in the aux for around sites and off road, but not for splitting.
Coming down is the opposite, except when going for a lower gear, we have to give the engine a shot of throttle to speed it up to match the output shaft speed, or there'll be grinding noises. I like to give the clutch a tap coming out of gear when using the gears to slow up under load to break the torque load on the gear teeth and wear the transmission less. Very important when you're footing the repair bills.
Always remember, the transmission that's being shifted up goes first, whether going up or down. You may not use all the gears like this, sometimes you can skip some, depends on the load and conditions.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Holy Shit! I caught a head ache trying to figure out what you wrote. I'm gonna stick with my 10 speed, and call it a day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HellsCanyonArmory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pretty cool to say the least, though what really blows my mind is the lack of range on that engine... seriously sounds like he's only running 1-200 rpm's before shifting again!

Mike </div></div>

Yep, that's how big diesels are. Even the Cummins in my pickup truck doesn't have squat for range compared to a gasser; it's kinda funny when you're not used to driving a diesel and you switch from gas.

So, when you compound shift you can, use no clutch, use clutch on one and no clutch on other, or clutch on both main and aux trannys when changing ranges and gear.

The clutch is being used to start off, and like I said, to unload the transmission momentarily while shifting down to slow up. The rest of the shifting is done with the throttle, "floating" em in is what it's called.
What you basically have is a five speed, the auxiliary is to gear it a little faster, or a little slower, in that particular gear.
You don't really look at it as having ranges, like a single stick with air range shift.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 671RTO9513</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SWIFT

See What I Flattened Today </div></div>

Sure Wish I'd Finished Training

Wife's father was a truck driver. I rode with him locally a few times. He could "split" shift with the best of them. I had to fill in for him a few weeks when he had a heart attack. But that isn't something I would care to try again.

I've got an old blue Mack with the same trans in it. I let a guy do a partial trade on a dozier and got this beast. I have used it on the farms for about 8 year and man I tell you. It's just a stout old truck. No telling what year model it is and how may miles it has seen. Not much left of the dump bed, trackhoe and boulders have taken it toll. But I tell you what, that old Mack motor will fire right up when nothing else will.

One of our heavy haul trucks has a 6+4 in it
shocked.gif
. From what I'm told my grandma used to drive a dump truck when grandpa needed the extra help back in the 70s-80s. They were twin stick too.
shocked.gif

A few of our cranes still run 5x4's behind Detroit 6-71's.

5 speed main with a 4 speed brownie. The easiest was to explain it would be

From a stop, using every gear (which you would likely never do)

(main, brownie)
1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, clutch in and let rpms drop to 1000, 2-4, clutch it again, rev to 1800 and put the brownie into 1, 2-2, 2-3, 2-4, clutch in and let rpms drop to 1000, 3-4, clutch it again, rev to 1800 and put the brownie into 1, 3-2, 3-3, 3-4, clutch in and let rpms drop to 1000, 4-4, clutch it again, rev to 1800 and put the brownie into 1, 4-2, 4-3, 4-4, 5-4.

How you generally do it on level terrain:
2-2, 3-2, 3-3, 3-4, clutch in and let rpms drop to 1000, 4-4, clutch it again, rev to 1800 and put the brownie into 2, 4-3, 4-4, 5-4.

Definitely a handfull in Los Angeles traffic.