• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Noob basic equipment thread sticky

sarcasmn

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2008
Georgia
What do you guys think about a sticky with basic information for noobs. I admit I am new to precision 22lr myself. It would be nice to have the basic equipment needs laid out. Like a scope where the parallax goes down to at least 25 yards. Or how much adjustment the scope should have. Why you might want a 30 MOA base. General guidelines not rifle specific. Do you want a front bag? A barricade rest? What does it take to be competitive.

since I am still new it would be great for the more experienced people who know more than me to jump in.

Add some info about BDC on scopes and I think it would be a great resource for all, not just noobs.

you should not need a lot of stuff just to compete , win maybe that's a different story hard to compete with a sling shot when others are using top end gear to me and this is my opinion all you need you a gun and ammo and a drive to try . Fancy gear ain't going to make you a better shooter with out you putting in the time to get better . Anything else is nice , but then again I have never competed , I shoot cause I love collecting guns and then shooting them . My modest collection was and is pretty small compared to others , The difference is that what I have is mine it's mine all mine . Good luck to you and may you do well if you want to . you should be able to go see a match and get an idea on the items you lack or how they do what they do at a match .

Some budget friendly opinions...

Rifle that can shoot ~1 MOA. I won't worry too much about the rifle to begin with, because the shooter will be the limiting factor. Most matches have 2+ MOA targets. You can always upgrade your rifle when you progress.

Solid Rail/Rings - At least 20 MOA to shoot out to 350 yards. Don't go cheap on rings, or you will be replacing them very shortly when your scope loss zero.

Scope - Most people prefer FFP. Look for something with 30mm tube. Need parallax adjustment. Don't get BDC reticle. If you have $1000 budget, don't spend $900 on rifle and $100 on scope. Plan to pay for price at least close to the rifle.

Bipod - I used a Harris Knockoff $20 from Amazon. Now I have a real Harris and I haven't noticed the difference yet.

Sling - something that can be used as a loop sling.

Bag - Can start with an amazon bag and fill it with BBs.

Ballistic app - Find one on your smart phone that is free. I spent ~$20 for BallisticsARC.

Bino - you may want a pair of Bino so that you can make sure you can see the target before your turn.

Krestrel - Just don't. Not until you get an idea of the game.

This is an extremely subjective question that you will get a huge variety of answers on. What it comes down to is deciding what kind of competitions you are going to do and what works for you. But here is a rundown of what I have finally come up with as a good kit that has helped me consistently place well.

Rifle - That is up to you. What you like and your style (BA vs auto, Stock vs Chassis, Ect.).

Scope - For the money I really like the Viper PST Gen II's. For NRL22 I like the 3-15 (only shoot out to 100 and normally some offhand makes 3x nice), since I am mainly shooting PRS/NRL22X now I will likely go to my 5-25 soon. Both of mine easily parallax down to 25

Base/Rings - I have a 25 MOA base on mine and I am using Burris XTR rings with the changeable inserts to get an extra 15moa I believe. That gets me to about 400 yards w/o hold over.

Bipod - Any solid bipod that can cant and pan.

Bag - I use a Wiebad Mini Fortune Cookie but there are other options out there like the Gamchangers that work extremely well. Some guys keep multiple bags around, but I like one.

Sling - I like the Armageddon gear that has bungee over the shoulder because I do not like to cuff it to my arm.

Ballistic App - The cheapest investment with the biggest payoff. I like Strelok Pro myself. It is easy to use and you can true both velocity and BC at different ranges. If the COF is available before the match which most are, I will have all of my yardages setup under the correct stage the night before. During the match all I have to do is update the weather and I know what im dialing.

Although I haven’t been to a NRL22 Match yet,I have done a fair bit of shooting at kill zone targets with air guns out to 100 yards, and the Hawk Sidewinder scope I use the most (3-12) has plenty of magnification and clarity to spot my shots. If I find that I need more scope I will probably move to a Vortex, but I like the hawks parallax range (mine says 10-infinity but it’s really 8 yards to infinity).