• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Noob looking into reloading

DeepEastKilla

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2009
S/E Minnesota
www.youtube.com
Okay im looking into reloading and have some noob questions. i hope im not asking to many questions that have been asked a bunch but i cant say that that wont happen. anyways, im looking at getting a lee challenger single stage press(anniversary edition)

i have a question about dies.i would be reloading for a .223 bolt action( a rifle i dont have yet but im trying to get my facts strait before i buy anything) the dies i think i need to complete the press are the neck sizer(w/ decapping unit), the bullet seating die, and the case length gauge die( i honestly dont know what the case length gauge die does so if someone could explain it that would be great)

my main question is what would be the best way to fill the cases with powder. the kit comes with the perfect powder measure and i believe thats meant to be used separately but im wondering if it would be more efficient or if its possible to get a die to put the powder dispenser on the press itself.

i see videos of guys with a funnel measuring out the powder one by one and then putting it in the case, but i think that would take a lot of time so if i could just dispense the powder directly into the cases and maybe measure every 10th round or so i could save some time.

as you can probably tell im a complete noob and have never reloaded before so im just trying to clarify things for myself so i can do thingas the right way.

thanks again for the help

Re: Noob looking into reloading

Try reading this and then ask questions. Not being snooty just trying to help, but your questions are the topics of huge debates between the learned and not so learned
laugh.gif

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...96660#Post96660

Cheers,

Doc

ive looked that over before but im still fuzzy on some stuff.

for dumping powder how does the lee perfect powder measure actually work? can i just go from the "perfect powder measure to the case.i just found a video that clears the powder measurer up a little. so i guess thats fine but what do i use the length gauge die for?

If you've never reloaded before, do not worry about speed and learn how to make an accurate loaded round first. The LEE kit is OK but once you learn what you are doing you'll want to pick up some seperate pieces that make things easier. Before getting anything, buy you a good reloading manual and read their chapters on Reloading. They all show you step by step the process of producing a loaded round. Turn to the section on .223 and look at the information on the components used to make a loaded round. Until you learn what you are doing, go exactly by their recipe. Do not get creative or inventive.

Unfortunately, this is one of those things that you actually get what you pay for. The Lee kit may be tolerable for the 223 case. But barely.

If I could make a suggestion, the first thing to buy is a Lyman's Centerfire Handloading Manual. Leave all the caliber specific data alone. Just read the setup and safety chapters. Then read it again.

The main thing is safety. If you stick with it the good groups will come later.

If I was you I would save to buy A good quality scale, a digital would be the easiest. As suggested get a reloading manual, Lyman's is great an my go too, and follow it.

thanks man. unfortunately i dont think i will buying any time soon. im going to get my rifle set up and shooting before i invest in reloading equipment. but thanks anyway.

Get the Lyman Manual any way and start reading. Read everything but the caliber specific data tables. There will be time for that later. You'll be miles ahead of the game when you do start.

Get the Lyman manual, as mentioned above..thats your first step. Step two is to read the Lyman manual. After those 2 steps you will be good to go for a while.

Powder Measure
I like this measure as a stand alone. When ever you start reloading everyone usually starts with cheap stuff and as has been said above, you get what you pay for. If you look at this measure, or others like it, it can be used for years as you learn more about reloading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Powder Measure
I like this measure as a stand alone. When ever you start reloading everyone usually starts with cheap stuff and as has been said above, you get what you pay for. If you look at this measure, or others like it, it can be used for years as you learn more about reloading. </div></div>

+1 on the Redding powder measures. I have the BR30 and it is sweet.
Justin

I bought the same kit you are looking at. It seems to be good to learn on. I don't have anything to compare it too though. The scale seems consistent. I am doing exactly what you are asking about. I use the perfect powder measure to drop into a funnel right into the brass. I measure every 5th round to ensure that the perfect powder measure is staying consistent. I have never had a problem with it not. Like i said I am new myself and am just learning as i go. I had my father in law shoot off some of my .223 rounds and he said they were doing just as well as his factory ammo. I have shot about 100 of my .223 reloads so far and they have all seemed to do fine.

I have contributed to "How to start reloading" threads on dozens of forums for many years.

Aside from the question of "buy the good stuff first or get started cheap" question, we are always haunted by the internet problem of benchrest accuracy level advice being an irrelevant distraction to those at a lower accuracy level.

There are several posters on this forum who discuss things irrelevant to getting 1" groups, like:
de burr the flash hole
crown the barrel
glass bed the action
true the action
carry a computer that calculates the coriolis effect of earth rotation
etc

This is not unique to SH.
This is human nature.
People will post their system.