• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Noob Primer Question

James P

PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2012
West allis, wi
Ok folks, Im new to reloading. Ive read up on, and watched alot of videos on said hobby.

However, Im having issues with Priming. It seems as if no matter if I use a RCBS hand Primer or the RCBS Rock Chucker i seem to have issues getting it in. (the primer you sickos) I cleaned out the pockets there nice and purdy, but it seems i seem to get a primer stuck halfway in the cartridge. On the Hand primer tool its a pain in the ass, because you have to dissasemble the damn thing. And then times in the press, it doesnt seem to seet completely. Is this normal?

Im using Federal Large rifle match primers and Hornady Match brass...Thanks in advance.

Re: Noob Primer Question

put some glasses on and ears in and prime away. i believe the federal primers run a little on the large side and i suspect the hornady brass has slightly tighter primer pockets. i would prime on the press since you will get more leverage, saving your hand muscles. at worst you pop a few primers. just make sure there isnt any brass shearing or warping/crushing/twisting of the primers.

Today I loaded up some using the press, but damn, some go in easy and others are tight as hell. So tight a couple got set only half way so I justrammed away since my cartidge was stuck in the shell holder..Bent my damn primer rod. Seems weird there would be so much difference in size..but i guess i wont worry to much about it, just use these up and buy some cci nxt!

what kind of cases are you using ? you might need a primer pocket correction tool

Check for a crimp, Hornady and others crimp some primers, remove if present.

JamesP- I feel your pain! First: don't buy a primer arm. Call RCBS and tell them you bent it and you need a new large primer cup/stem/spring assembly too. Everything will be at your mail box in no time. FREE!

I've never loaded Hornady brass, and I noticed your response to the other post regarding the same issue. I like to use a Lyman Primer Pocket Uniformer tool especially for previously shot brass. If anything it can be used as a go-no go tool; if it fits, generally so will your primer. I also keep a champher tool nearby as well. Just don't take off a whole lot of brass. Other guys have mentioned that Hornady uses a crimp; I have Dillon swaging tool that I use for my military 5.56 reloads, but that might be over kill for your situation.

Priming on a press for me is the epitome of touchy-feely handloading procedures. A little light pressure to see if it starts; if not back off and spin your brass 90 degrees or so and try it again. Spin it again to find that sweet spot if you need to.

Hope this helps-

Thanks for the responses. Ill try the uniform primer tool. Hopefully that works.
grin.gif

ill go shoot in a day or two and let ya know if it fixes the problem when im reloading for the weeknd

Just a thought, read a loading manual. By any of the major players. That will give you more knowledge than you could get from ANY video. And watch your problems go away

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stockdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a thought, read a loading manual. By any of the major players. That will give you more knowledge than you could get from ANY video. And watch your problems go away </div></div>

I am a firm believer in reading manuals. You know, when you read a book and they make a movie based on the book? You leave dissatisfied. They cannot get all the information you need in a video.

Here's some free advice: don't force primers.
More free advice: get a primer pocket uniformer tool.
BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BuzzBoss915</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stockdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a thought, read a loading manual. By any of the major players. That will give you more knowledge than you could get from ANY video. And watch your problems go away </div></div>

I am a firm believer in reading manuals. You know, when you read a book and they make a movie based on the book? You leave dissatisfied. They cannot get all the information you need in a video.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Here's some free advice: don't force primers.
More free advice: get a primer pocket uniformer tool.</span>
BB </div></div>

Ive Read the abcs of reloading, and the nosler reloading manual. I thought it was strange how some primers fit and others didnt. im more of a hands on learning type tho. But reading did help out considerabley
Ill definately use your free advice. Im going to pick up a uniformer tool today.And no more forcing. Last thing i want to do is pop a primer lol