• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes noob question about rings and mounts

jlaz90

Private
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2013
ok so I have a savage 111 in .300 win mag with some no name scope on it that came with the gun when I bought it. The gun is several years old and I use it for hunting and target shooting. Two weeks ago I broke the scope while deer hunting in PA, the gun hopped out of my rack on my quad and landed on a rock and now the scope is broke. So long story short a friend gave me a nikon pro staff 3x9 that he had bought and never used. Its pretty clear and has finger turrets and that fancy stuff and its good because i really dont have alot of money to buy a new fancy expensive scope. question is i need to get new mounts and rings for this scope since the tube diameter is different then my old scope and i dont know what to get and where to start. at our property im generally shooting deer within 300 yards but we target shoot out to 600 yards. so question is what type of mounts and rings should i get. i dont know advantage or disadvantage to any different kinds. I will eventually get a better scope that I can reach out and touch a deer with since we do have a 1100 yard range setup. so do i get high or med mounts and what style and any suggestion on rings. I know the .300 kicks so they have to be able to hold it tight. any suggestions would be appreciated.

I know vortex make good rings. But i think the best option is to go down to your local gun dealer and get his opinion on the matter. And don't be afraid to spend a little more on rings

Pro staff should be 1 inch diameter tube with 40mm objective. You'll be fine getting low rings, otherwise go to a shop and test different heights. The lower to the barrel the better.

If you are looking for a decent setup that wont break the bank, try going with weaver base and burris xtr rings. Eventually when you upgrade to some highend optics, you should start looking into better rings (leupold, nightforce etc.) and consider lapping them. Also, youll find that most scopes are built with 30mm tubes so consider that before buy that $100+ set of 1 inch diameter rings for a scope you dont care about.