• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Noob question on IPHY

Jericho941

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2009
Springfield, MO.
What is IPHY? What does it stand for? I have't been able to find anything here on what it is. I googled it and could not come up with anything to tell me exactly what it is. I have an Idea, but I'm probably not right.

Re: Noob question on IPHY

IPHY is an angular measurement that subtends 1.0" at 100 yards. It was previously known as Shooters Minute of Angle (SMOA). Since it has NOTHING to do with MOA Either Rafel or myself (we can't remember who said it first) renamed it to "IPHY" or Inch Per Hundred Yards.

So
1 IPHY = 1" @ 100yds
1 IPHY = 2" @ 200yds
1 IPHY = 10" @ 1000yds

You get the picture.

The math for ranging in IPHY is

(Size of the target in inches * 100) / # of Stadia = Range in Yards.

Cheers,

Doc

Thanks for the quick answers.

At first I thought for that it was a cute way to say that tracking on that particular scope was inconsistent or "iffy".

I knew I wasn't right so I had to ask, I guess I got alot of learning still to do
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J3RICHO941</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the quick answers.

At first I thought for that it was a cute way to say that tracking on that particular scope was inconsistent or "iffy".

<span style="font-weight: bold">I knew I wasn't right so I had to ask, I guess I got alot of learning still to do
grin.gif
</span> </div></div>

Well you are in the right place. alot of these guys know their stuff. you will learn a ton!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J3RICHO941</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

LOL, that's a good one.

How common is the IPHY? It is starting to sound really like a really good idea for me lol.

Just bought a FFP Mil/Mil and not having a fun time with it. Brand new shooter if that helps.

It's very useful to have an adjustment system which matches the reticle.

Your problems may simply stem from the learning curve associated with the unfamiliar system.

It's not supposed to be fun - it's supposed to be effective. There's a reason why military snipers are turning increasingly to mil/mil systems - they work.

As long as the reticle is useful - you didn't say what the scope was - it doesn't matter whether it's MOA, IPHY, or mil. The learning curve is all the same.

While it's easier to do range math with an IPHY system, you're realistically not going to want to do that math in your head. That's what a Mildot Master is for.

If you need instruction on mil reticle scopes, see:

http://www.shootingvoodoo.com/index.php/articles/maximizing_the_mil_based_reticle/

and

http://www.excaliburenterprises.com/scopes/mil-dot.html

And ask questions. There is lots of expertise on this site.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HD1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How common is the IPHY? It is starting to sound really like a really good idea for me lol.</div></div>

Lots of folks use IPHY, some improperly as their glass or knobs or both are really in MOA. Those that use IPHY with a quality retical, an knobs, more than a few times, normally, will not go to something else there after. Most every one I shoot with, including matchs, are either truely IPHY or calling their corrections in MOA but are really useing S-MOA AKA IPHY. I know of no one that uses true MOA, or can shoot the difference to 1K yds, which is a 0.47 inch difference. Now the knob difference to 1K is much bigger.
On my .308win I need 37 IPHY to get to 1K from a 100 yd zero but 37 IPHY is only 35.34 true moa, which most can shoot the difference.

Ok, here is what I'm struggling with: Brand New Super Sniper 3-9 FFP Mil/Mil. Just bought it instead of the Mark 4 FFP M5 cause it was on backorder and I needed to jump behind my first bolt gun I just bought to start learning asap. plus with the extra cash I saved, I bought a Leica CRF1200.

The problem I'm having at the moment is somewhat simple but I can't figure it out. If I'm by myself out at the range like I usually am, with no spotting scope or spotter...how do I know how many Mils I need to adjust when I'm trying to make my dope card? I mean, what I'm saying is: If I go down and look at the target at 325 yards, and I'm 6 inches low and 1 inch to the left, how do i know how many Mils that is that I need to adjust or hold for? Since i can't see my hits at distances much past 100 yards with my 9 power max, what am I supposed to do?

I know atleast in MOA I can relate it somewhat easily in inches.

Now, with that being said, when I zeroed at 100 yds yesterday, I could spot my rounds on paper and use the MilDot reticle to make changes and it was super cool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I know of no one that uses true MOA,</div></div>
I find that hard to believe, as I thought MOA-adjusted scopes were everywhere. Those MOA Nightforces seem to be pretty popular in most places I have shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I know of no one that uses true MOA,</div></div>
I find that hard to believe, as I thought MOA-adjusted scopes were everywhere. Those MOA Nightforces seem to be pretty popular in most places I have shot. </div></div>
Yes MOA scopes are everywhere, but I was speaking about shooter lingo, sorry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I go down and look at the target at 325 yards, and I'm 6 inches low and 1 inch to the left, how do i know how many Mils that is that I need to adjust or hold for?</div></div>

Ahh, that's easy.

1 mil is 3.6 inches at 100 yards. At 200 yards, it's 7.2 inches, and so forth. If you want to know why, see:

http://www.mil-dot.com/Content%20Images/The_Derivation_of_the_Range_Estimation_Equations.pdf

If you just want to fix the problem, divide the correction needed in inches by the amount which a mil is at that range. In your case, at 325 yards, 1 mil is:

3.25 * 3.6 = 11.7

So, to correct by 6 inches,

6 / 11.7 = 0.51.

So you just dial up or down by 0.5 mils. If your scope adjusts in 0.1 mil clicks that's 5 clicks.

Perhaps if you read the links about using mil scopes I posted above, it will become more clear to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I go down and look at the target at 325 yards, and I'm 6 inches low and 1 inch to the left, how do i know how many Mils that is that I need to adjust or hold for?</div></div>

Ahh, that's easy.

1 mil is 3.6 inches at 100 yards. At 200 yards, it's 7.2 inches, and so forth. If you want to know why, see:

http://www.mil-dot.com/Content%20Images/The_Derivation_of_the_Range_Estimation_Equations.pdf

If you just want to fix the problem, divide the correction needed in inches by the amount which a mil is at that range. In your case, at 325 yards, 1 mil is:

3.25 * 3.6 = 11.7

So, to correct by 6 inches,

6 / 11.7 = 0.51.

So you just dial up or down by 0.5 mils. If your scope adjusts in 0.1 mil clicks that's 5 clicks.

Perhaps if you read the links about using mil scopes I posted above, it will become more clear to you.

</div></div>

thanks for the link...I will begin reading it right now.

So the 3.25 * 3.6 = 11.7 is the Correction factor? So 325 Yards is expressed as 3.25? so if it's at 80 yards, it's .8? 800 yards 8.0? If 11.7 is the correction factor, all I do is divide how many inches i need to adjust (say 6") divided by the 11.7 Correction Factor?

11.7 inches is the distance of 1 mil <span style="font-style: italic">only</span> at 325 yards.

At any distance, 1 mil in inches is:

inches per mil = (distance in yards / 100) * 3.6

So, at 800 yards,

inches per mil = (800 / 100) * 3.6 = 8 * 3.6 = 28.8

A lot of the "easy math" people talk about is when things are fairly arbitrary. A 12" plate is 2 IPHY? Sure, that's easy to figure out as 600 yds, but then in that case it was probably sitting on the 600 yd line of a nice square range so big surprise there. But when it's a 13.5" plate and 1.65 IPHY then you're probably going to break out the calculator so it's no easier or more difficult than if you were using a Mil/Mil system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">11.7 inches is the distance of 1 mil <span style="font-style: italic">only</span> at 325 yards.

At any distance, 1 mil in inches is:

inches per mil = (distance in yards / 100) * 3.6

So, at 800 yards,

inches per mil = (800 / 100) * 3.6 = 8 * 3.6 = 28.8

</div></div>

right that's what I meant.

So is it safe to say then that I take the Range (in yards), move two decimal points to the left, multiplied by the constant of 3.6 ? Then I could call that my Correction Factor right?

Then, it's however many inches up, down, left, or right divided by my Correction Factor?

my example to state my case:

Range: 1,137 Yards. 11.37 X 3.6 = 40.93 <=== "aka CF"

Shooting 14 inches low: 14 (inches) / 40.93 = .34

So I would need to come up roughly 3 - 4 clicks right? (.1 Mil clicks)

Does that make sense at all?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A lot of the "easy math" people talk about is when things are fairly arbitrary. A 12" plate is 2 IPHY? Sure, that's easy to figure out as 600 yds, but then in that case it was probably sitting on the 600 yd line of a nice square range so big surprise there. But when it's a 13.5" plate and 1.65 IPHY then you're probably going to break out the calculator so it's no easier or more difficult than if you were using a Mil/Mil system. </div></div>

Good point. I guess I don't know what I don't know, yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, that works. Just think in mils, not in clicks. Clicks will just confuse you.
</div></div>

Could you expand on that and give some do's & dont's or examples. I mean I say 1 or 4 Mil or whatever...but If I had to come up 3/10's of a Mil...would I not just say 3 clicks?

or what do you mean?

If your dope for a 1000 yard shot is 11.4 mils, think of it as 11.4 mils, not 114 clicks. You're not going to count the first 110 clicks. You're going to dial to 11 mils, then up 4 clicks.

That's all.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HD1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, that works. Just think in mils, not in clicks. Clicks will just confuse you.
</div></div>

Could you expand on that and give some do's & dont's or examples. I mean I say 1 or 4 Mil or whatever...but If I had to come up 3/10's of a Mil...would I not just say 3 clicks?

or what do you mean?</div></div>

Because when you think in clicks everything changes if you sit down behind a scope with 0.2Mrad clicks. But 1.2Mrad is 1.2Mrad even if it's 12 clicks or 6 clicks. And it's 1.2Mrad when you look through your scope, where there are no 'clicks.' The point is, get in the habit of thinking in terms of a single consistent angular measurement, and clicks on a turret are not a consistent angular measurement.

It will also help you and other shooters when they or you are calling corrections. All the people I shoot with call in MILS, so we are all on the same page. Some of the shooters still use scopes with MOA knobs and MIL reticle. Like Rathbert said pick your poison and stick with it.

If your calling out clicks, you probably wont be helping anyone when firing becuase they may have a different "click" value then you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HD1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem I'm having at the moment is somewhat simple but I can't figure it out. If I'm by myself out at the range like I usually am, with no spotting scope or spotter...how do I know how many Mils I need to adjust when I'm trying to make my dope card? </div></div>
A simple Mildot Master would help you greatly. Also, if you carry a smartphone there are apps that do the same thing.

When avoiding calculations, I also find it easier to think in yards. A Mil is 1 yard at 1000 yds. So if you are shooting at 325 you know a mil is roughly 1/3 yard--which you know is 1 foot even without a calculator. So if you're 6" low, go 5 clicks up.

You guys have helped me see the light.
grin.gif

It really sucks when your starting out on your own and you have no one to shoot with and teach you this stuff. Thanks for all the info guys. I really appreciate it.