• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes noob question on power

norva

Private
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2009
Norfolk, Va
how can i find out what power is good to what distance. Also, i'm trying to find some info on all the functions of scopes. Thanks from a noob to long distance

Re: noob question on power

Really depends on the Optics, the better the Optics the lower the power needs to be. But as a general rule 1 x 100 is a good start. If your trying to benchrest you might want to look for more power, 22-25+ power for 1000 isn't uncommon.

Once you really get to shooting you'll start to develop preferences. Things like max power on scopes can be a subjective thing. 12X on a high end is enough to see targets way out there where as 20X on a POS you may not see well very far. Everybody is different and sees things differently, get behind as many as you can and see for yourself.

thanks guys....Will be getting the rifle next month. Not sure when I will get the glass. It will be a mid grade scope at first.