• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Noob questions......just bought 700 VTR......

eganx

Private
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2009
Kingston WA
I just picked up a Remington 700 VTR chambered in 308. Got a great deal on it, $575 with a Burris fullfield 3x9(bought it from my father-in-law). I have never owned a bolt action rifle before. What are some mods I can do to improve accuracy? I was thinking a stock with full length aluminum bedding.....is any one stock better than the other as far as the bedding is concerned? any other mods I can do without spending a fortune??? thanks - Egan

Re: Noob questions......just bought 700 VTR......

use the search and fill out your profile, this question gets asked quite a bit around here

The triangular VTR barrel can be problematic.

Some of them have had probems holding a zero for more than a handful of shots before they need to be cooled down again. For the occasional woodchuck this is really not an issue. For sustained fire, it can be.

Shoot the rifle, wring it out, find out if there are any problems, then come back with them if they appear. There are simple, inexpensive fixes that can be applied to such problems, and they usually work just fine.

This is the place for such questions, but first, make sure it's broken before you try any fixes.

Meanwhile, welcome to The 'Hide, where marksmen meet and exchange info.

Greg

I have put about 100 rounds through it, like I said it was my father-in-laws so I had access to it before I bought it.

The best I could do with it was 5 shots grouping 1.5" at 100 yards. I found it could shoot well, but was somewhat inconsistent with grouping. Now I know the grouping inconsistencies could very likely be me, but to go from 1.5" to 3" was a but much. I can put a 5 shot 3-4" group @ 100 with my FAL.

So, I guess I'll do some searching, I did a bit before I posted, but only really came up with classified ads.