• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Noob seeking opinions on these LH rifles.

JSinTN

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2020
This may ramble a bit. Sorry in advance. Looking for a LH rifle for a noob that wants something that that he will be happy with for a while has been an adventure.

If Beretta imported the Tikka T3x CTR to the US I would probably already have a rifle and not be posting this. I had hoped to get in at a reasonable price point and have something I could upgrade later. I still might possibly buy the Bergara HMR LH in 6.5.

I seem to have encountered a scenario where I can buy an entry level rifle / action (Savage / Ruger / Tikka Lite) and a chassis which turns my entry level purchase into $1500 in a hurry.

I have read many times, no matter what you do to a Savage its still a Savage. I have heeded those stories of folks who said to avoid buying something I would soon become less enchanted with really quickly. (thanks for that advice)

I already have the optic (Vortex PST 6-24x50)

This brings us to the 3 rifles that "cost more than I wanted to spend to dip toes in the water".

MPA PMR in 6.5 $2000

Badrock Southfork $2000

APO Snipers Hide Edition $2000

I have seen these all discussed individually but have not seen them compared and contrasted.

In the esteemed opinion of those who have experience in Precision rifles I would like to know what you think of these and if there is something else you would recommend instead that I haven't considered.

Thanks in advance for your input and taking it easy on the new guy who did at least do a little research before asking his question.

Of the choices you listed the MPA PMR or the Badrock Southfork are great. Those are hard to beat for $2,000.

A couple other options:

My first recommendation would be to watch the left hand classifieds for a couple weeks for a turn key build that suits you. You can get into a custom action with top quality barrel and a low tier stock for $2,000.

My next recommendation would be to buy the left hand bravo chassis in the classifieds and then have someone put together a Zermatt Origin barreled action to drop into it. You should come at $2,000 with this plan.

I also noticed Midway USA has a left hand Tikka Tac A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor for $2,000. That is a great option for the same money as the options you listed.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcmullis2
You can build a nice custom rig for that amount of money. Buy you a entry level custom action like a defiance tenacity $900 add a prefit criterion barrel $350 with threads for muzzle brake, tt diamond trigger $270 and Hellfire muzzle brake $160 and your choice of stocks. You’ll come out with a better rifle for less money and have more pride in it because you made it yourself. Just my humble opinion

One other thing. If you are really just dipping your toes in the water. The Ruger American Predator comes in 6 Creedmoor or 6.5 Creedmoor left hand configuration. They cost about $500 and they shoot great. They have detachable AICS mags as well. You could sell it later after you got your toes wet and you would probably be able to recoup 80% of your investment.

The money saved could buy a lot of ammo or reloading components. You get good at this game by shooting a lot. If you blow your whole budget on the gun you'll do yourself a disservice.

I believe you can now get a LH CTR in the states, but only in .223 I have a T3 Lite I dropped in a Grayboe Terrain stock using factory dbm(err plastic) and will eventually re-barrel to a heavier profile, but it's the perfect hunting set-up for me. Picked up one of the LH LA M700 actions from LRI for the start of my first custom build, but would have likely went with an Bighorn/Zermatt Origin action if those hadn't popped up. Many options available depending on what your end goal is. Different strokes for different folks.

Badrock would be my choice if I wanted a turn key rifle. They are a division of Defiance, and they make damn good actions.

If $2000 is more than you want to spend why not just get the Bergara HMR like you said?

Especially if you're just looking to start or "dip your toes in the water"

Reactions: JSinTN