• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Noob to bolt guns just ordered a Stevens 200

mwroseberry

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2009
urbana, ohio
I'm by no means a noob to shooting however I am a noob to bolt guns. From all my research I've decided to build my own custom gun with the Stevens 200 as my base. I got the scoped package from buds which comes with a cheap bushnell. What is my best bank for the buck upgrades. I want to save up for a quality barrel and stock but what are some lower dollar items that will help with accuracy or comfort of shooting.

I was a 4th award rifle expert in my 4 years in the Marines so I know the fund. of shooting but getting my use of a scope down is going to be a whole other animal. My use of scopes was limited to my ACOG.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

Re: Noob to bolt guns just ordered a Stevens 200

Maybe a bi-pod and a trigger. My wifes model 11 Sav 223 has a slightly hefty pull but not bad. Barrel and stock would be the only thing. Stockade makes some nice stocks for Savages.

Start with a Rifle Basix adjustable trigger. From there I'd upgrade the stock next ( I went HS Precision) and optics next. The barrel is the last thing I'd upgrade. I can almost certainly get sub-MOA out of the factory barrel if you reload, by the time you burn cash getting the other upgrades you'll have plenty of trigger time and gotten your money out of the factory barrel. If your trigger, stock and optics are crap you'll never get use out of a high priced barrel....which likely won't fit in the channel of that tupperware stock anyways.

What calibre is your rifle in?

My son has one in .30-06 and it shoots just fine with the factory barrel. We had a trigger job done on it by a gunsmith, its now set at 2.5lb and quite good.
The stock sucks though. Got to be better about.

With regard to scopes.........Have a look at the Clearidge Ultra XP5 range. Good scopes for the price. Nice clear glass and accurate turret adjustments. Also have parallax adjustment.

Mine is in 308. Yeah I've been looking at the B&C stocks. They seam to be a very stable platform. And optics I was going to save up for and go for something middle of the road. Will a good base and rings make a difference with the stock bushnell or am I better of just waiting until I get the upgraded glass.

Thanks for the input so far,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

If it is the standard 308 stevens 200 rifle then I would upgrade the barrel and the trigger at the same time (right away). The barrel on the standard stevens 200 rifle is a noodle thin barrel definitely not a heavy barrel. The trigger has a pretty heavy pull and that is just by design (there is not much you can do to reliably reduce the trigger pull to 2lbs with no creep).

I am in the same boat as I just bought a stevens 200 .223 as a base for my 300 whisper build.

The stock I got was a choate tactical stock(similar to the mcmillan a-5 stock). The dimensions are similar to a mcmillan a-5 but not exactly the same (the palm swell is larger on the choate). I have a mcmillan a-5 on my 308 5-r 700 rifle.

Hope this helps,

Gene

I just purchased one as well. This thread has me interested. I'll follow it
Josh

I know the noodle barrel is bad, but I thought as long as I let the barrel cool between shots it should be ok for a bit. I know I want to go to a heavy barrel and probably one with a brake but I also know it's going to cast me $300 for a quality after market barrel. Should I just get a 10fp barrel off gunbroker to get me by until I can afford a much better barrel? And will the 10FP barrel do me any good if I'm just going to throw it back into the cheap stock for the time being?

Thanks,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

there are some barrels for sale here on the hide for savage rifles not priced to bad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know the noodle barrel is bad, but I thought as long as I let the barrel cool between shots it should be ok for a bit. I know I want to go to a heavy barrel and probably one with a brake but I also know it's going to cast me $300 for a quality after market barrel. Should I just get a 10fp barrel off gunbroker to get me by until I can afford a much better barrel? And will the 10FP barrel do me any good if I'm just going to throw it back into the cheap stock for the time being?

Thanks,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet. </div></div>

Getting a used 10fp barrel is a great idea as long as it is still in great condition and not shot out. Savage rifles are known to be shooters out of the box partly because of the floating bolt head but also their barrels are pretty good.

Just get the Choate tactical stock ( mcmillan a-5 clone) for $165.

Just get some match .308 ammo and try that barrel out before you scrap it. It might surprise you how well it shoots.
You have nothing to loose but the cost of a packet of ammo.

I could be wrong but I would think that when you change out the stock you should swap out the barrel. A varmint barrel is quite a bit thicker than what came with your gun. You can get a Mcgowen,Shilen,Brux,Douglas etc prefit for a decent price. Might as well get a comp reciol lug too. Depending on which stock you go with a bedding job wouldn't hurt. Seems like you would want to do this all at once. If not a trigger and some range time until you collect the parts. I think the Stevens actios are blued and your barrel will probably be stainless. A little duracoat would top it all off. It sounds like a lot but you would have sweet shootin rifle for 1/2 the cost of a custom rig.

The SharpShooter Supply competition trigger is a damn inexpensive upgrade that will make a world of difference.

there are three gently use 10fp, fcps on here now for 650-800 if thats not out of your price range? all 1.5 pound accutriggers, 24" varmint barrels, 1/10 308s

Thanks everyone for your help looks like I have a lot to think about. I will keep you all updated with any mods done to my rifle.

Thanks,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.