• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Noobie needs help with Tikka TAC A1 stock

TommyTwoGuns

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2018
Just got a brand new Tikka TAC A1 and discovered there is wobble in the stock. The manual describes how to take off the stock by breaking the castle nut but I can't figure out how to do that with a Magpul Armorer's Tool without getting the stock off the tube. One possibility is getting another castle nut tool with an open side but if possible I would like to avoid that. In any case I am looking for more detailed intel about how the stock on the TAC A1 works. Here is a pix with a pink line drawn around where the wobble is, just a little behind the castle nut. On my ARs I am able to remove the stock from the tube by pressing a button or lever. Hard for me to understand how some type of option like this is not available on the Tikka.

If it turns out I have to break the castle nut with an open face tool I will do that. But I hope there are other options.
tikka stockw.jpg

Quick update and there will probably be more. I contacted Beretta which handles Tikka warranty issues in the US. Tec was very responsive and seemed to know what he was talking about. He said I should return the weapon and one of their gun smiths would fix the problem. He strongly suggested I do nothing to the weapon myself or have a local gunsmith fix it. Seems like if you have an issue with the stock on the TAC A1 it has to be repaired in Maryland if you live in the US. I tried to contact the shop who sold it to me but got voice mail. Hope this all turns out well.

Partial update. On some other Tikka TAC A1 internet forums I have found that I am not the only one with this issue. At least three other guys have the exact same problem with wobble in the stock. I am still trying to get things together to ship it back. Talked to CS today about parts of the email. UPS will pick it up at my house but will not accept it if I take it to the store. It has to be shipped in a "new box" that meets UPS standards and CS suggested UHaul might have one since USPS or UPS did not have one that big. I went to my local FFL dealer who also sells fishing stuff and he gave me a shipping box for fishing rods that I can make work. The CS guy indicated this is a somewhat known issue for the TAC A1 stocks and I was not the only customer with this issue. I suspect they will fix it at no charge as the warranty is very good. Only glitch is if I had done something like beat it with a sledge hammer. In any case it seems like Tikka does fix problems. Just wish I could spend this time at the range instead of packing up my new toy and shipping it back.

After 2000 plus rounds mine came loosejust enough to bug me. There is a Tikka authorized repair smith near me that repaired it in a few days no charge. Sounds like they put it in a vice broke loose the castle nut and accessed the bolt inside.

No way would I go through the trouble of sending a rifle back for such an easy fix. Go buy a cheap open type AR armors tool loosen the castle nut then the stock will unscrew just like a AR buffer tube then you can access the nut or bolt that needs to be tightened. Good lord men do y’all call someone to change your lightbulbs also this ain’t rocket science!

Reactions: Billiam1211
No way would I go through the trouble of sending a rifle back for such an easy fix. Go buy a cheap open type AR armors tool loosen the castle nut then the stock will unscrew just like a AR buffer tube then you can access the nut or bolt that needs to be tightened. Good lord men do y’all call someone to change your lightbulbs also this ain’t rocket science!

Not sure how much you know about Tikkas but the manual says to use a torque wrench for several things; but no torque setting for this. While I did not post it earlier the CS guy said if I did anything like you suggest it would void the warranty on the weapon. I also suggested the gunsmith at the local FFL where I got the weapon could look at it and the CS guy said no; even if the store gunsmith did the work the warranty would be voided. This was an out of the box issue. I have posted this on some other Tikka forums and one guy who had taken his stock off said he did not see an "nut or bolt that needs to be tightened". From what I have learned on other forums this is not the only time something like this has happened. Several other Tikka owners have noted that while Tikka sorta markets this as a component fire arm they really don't want owners to do much of anything to it; and if they do the warranty is voided.

I get it that you think it is a simple task. But I also get that Tikka does not seem to think that. They are willing to pay shipping both ways and provide a gunsmith to fix it. Even when I suggested I do it myself or have a qualified gunsmith at the local FFL do it they still wanted me to send it in; so it may not be quite as simple as you suggest.

Here is a vid I made of the problem; just before I put it in a box to ship it off tomorrow; as soon as UPS comes to pick it up.

I own three Tikka CTRs yes its not a Tac A1 I understand, but unless the stock is some how press-fitted into that threaded buffer tube (highly unlikely) it has to have a some sort of screw or bolt attaching it to that tube. I could be wrong (I don't think I am) I wish I knew someone that had because now I am curious has hell.....oh well good luck hope you get it back ASAP.

Well the UPS site says it was delivered to Beretta yesterday. The Beretta site said I would get an email on delivery; but so far I have not received an email. I also looked at the fine print at the Beretta site which said it is normal to expect a 4-5 week turnaround time. Not really something I wanted to hear. If I had to do over again I would have simply returned the weapon to the seller.

Well the UPS site says it was delivered to Beretta yesterday. The Beretta site said I would get an email on delivery; but so far I have not received an email. I also looked at the fine print at the Beretta site which said it is normal to expect a 4-5 week turnaround time. Not really something I wanted to hear. If I had to do over again I would have simply returned the weapon to the seller.

wow, that's not cool. I wonder if the tube that the butt stock is mounted on be removed via the castlenut and a regular buffer tube (receiver extension) and adjustable or fixed buttstock be put on there?..

the
wow, that's not cool. I wonder if the tube that the butt stock is mounted on be removed via the castlenut and a regular buffer tube (receiver extension) and adjustable or fixed buttstock be put on there?..
When I called they told me the warranty would be voided if I removed the castle nut and tried to fix it myself, or had a gunsmith do it. While the weapon does look modular it seems Tikka/Beretta voids the warranty if you treat it as modular. I have a couple of ARs that make it simple to switch out stocks. On a side note I got a Tikka CTR with a 24" ss barrel in Creedmoor. Shoots like a dream. Kinda windy and shooting off hand with el cheapo SB rounds and a low end Nikon 233 for a first trip to the range.
Range01.jpg

Latest update. Beretta says normal turnaround for repairs is 4-5 weeks. A poster in another forum says it took them six weeks for his repair of mag falling out from recoil and Beretta kept the mag. It took five months for him to get the mag back from Beretta.

Reactions: BlackLabKatie
Latest update. Beretta says normal turnaround for repairs is 4-5 weeks. A poster in another forum says it took them six weeks for his repair of mag falling out from recoil and Beretta kept the mag. It took five months for him to get the mag back from Beretta.

wow. I don't have the words...

Good news. Last night I got an email from UPS that my TAC A1 would be delivered/picked up one day early. Went to UPS and picked it up earlier today. Stock is fixed. It is rock solid. Now I can mount optics and start having fun. Given how well my CTR performed with a low end Nikon 233 I have confidence the TAC A1 will do better with better optics. No charge for the repair and shipping was covered under warranty. Did have to wait longer than I wanted but in a couple of days I should have a range report.

I think you'll be happy with it. Was starting barrel break-in on mine last weekend and shot a 0.44" 4-shot group (Ran out of time to do 5 with cleaning between each shot) with Hornady American Gunner.