• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Noreen expands ELR rifle offerings with "ELR Bolt Action Rifle"

1. I have ZERO affiliation with Noreen. Just passing the word on a product announced by a company that has been around for quite a few years.
2. How about waiting on seeing how their new model actually works before scourging the company making it. Fair enough? Thanks.

I'm actually interested in their SA BN36X3 in 300WM. Kind of OT, but I'd like to hear more about how their models might have malfunctioned or failed in the past before laying down the money for one. I've core sampled a gun, never cratered one though. What happened exactly and how did Noreen handle the issue?

Bolt's a different ball game entirely, and tbh I doubt at 31 pounds their new ELR is underbuilt at all, the barrel is probably 15-17 pounds of that at least. Cool that it takes Rem 700 triggers and doesn't use strictly proprietary mags.

Hi,

Well the BN36 had/has a bad following due to the major issues but also on how Noreen handled those issues for a while.

It was always the customers fault for this and that. Even though using factory ammo and gun blew apart at the trigger area and burned the guys hand. Even though chambers were constantly out of specs when properly measured by go/no go gauges.

It was never the firearms fault, yada yada.

Blaming the issues on gunsmiths that were used as second opinions on what is going on with peoples firearms.

All up until they FINALLY issued the recall :). But sadly people had problems with brass being severely stretched out after 1 firing and firing pins being too short even on the serial numbers not affected by the recall.

So they quickly developed a reputation of hiding their failures!!

The ones I know of that ruptured where their ULRs so the issue of "semis take more tlc, etc etc" is out.
Just because something is heavy does not mean it is strong. That would be like saying just because a projectile weighs more it has a better BC.....

As previously asked: How many rounds and what cartridge did Oscar have through his "Beast" of a bolt action receiver from them?

Sincerely,
Theis

I have destroyed one during devlopmentand testing one of our wildcats lol

Ok thanks for sharing, Theis. I of course agree that mass of a part doesn't equal strength or toughness. Metallurgy is a science very relative to the intended application, and then you have to factor in proper manufacturing processes and specifications. Theoretically a gun made out of lead would be heavier, but obviously not as capable in the slightest. It's not a bad sign on paper given an assembly with comparatively fewer and more simple moving parts is all I really meant by it.

That sucks to hear they had to recall, sucks even more they tried the runaround through all the different "growing pains". I know the Nemo 300 will beat up the neck on brass like no tomorrow, not sure how similar the two are in design or if it's a comparable problem at all. Probably not, but it's something you don't hear said about it often.

Ok thanks for sharing, Theis. I of course agree that mass of a part doesn't equal strength or toughness. Metallurgy is a science very relative to the intended application, and then you have to factor in proper manufacturing processes and specifications. Theoretically a gun made out of lead would be heavier, but obviously not as capable in the slightest. It's not a bad sign on paper given an assembly with comparatively fewer and more simple moving parts is all I really meant by it.

That sucks to hear they had to recall, sucks even more they tried the runaround through all the different "growing pains". I know the Nemo 300 will beat up the neck on brass like no tomorrow, not sure how similar the two are in design or if it's a comparable problem at all. Probably not, but it's something you don't hear said about it often.
destroying the action was my fault I used it to test pressure on one of my wildcats it was a cheep way to do testing it died

Hi,

As previously asked: How many rounds and what cartridge did Oscar have through his "Beast" of a bolt action receiver from them?

Sincerely,
Theis

Zero rounds, action only purchased (and sold) - I'm a precision machining snob and their action was simply brutish in its features but looked too mil (e.g., "rough" and parkerized) for what I wanted as an end result.

Theis, It sounds like you have no real world experience of our rifles only internet third party but I digress. If anyone has an issue please feel free to let us know and we will take care of it as we always have. Yes we did have a recall on our first BN36 back in 2013 and took care of that as well. I think we are the first firearms company in history to have a recall?

85,000psi will likely make most actions die if badassgunworks is who im thinking of and we met at shot

the new action look great I think it will do great for you great price as well and yes 85,000 was not a problem with your old action it still worked. had to beat the bolt open but it still worked it was not till much higher pressures that it failed.

Last edited:
Theis, It sounds like you have no real world experience of our rifles only internet third party but I digress. If anyone has an issue please feel free to let us know and we will take care of it as we always have. Yes we did have a recall on our first BN36 back in 2013 and took care of that as well. I think we are the first firearms company in history to have a recall?

I asked for their opinion, I am satisfied with the level of transparency in it and I don't think anyone here is taking it as more than anecdotal. That said, Theis does not strike me as the type to embellish much even if being a bit indelicate. I think Noreen makes some very attractive products, I wouldn't kick one out of bed on a word. I just see anyone's relevant input as part of my due diligence being the consumer, and I understand that for every amazing product story people will bandwagon with the five other bad stories they have heard of. You make a good point to bring that aspect to light, but it's obvious that people are going to be critical when they are asked to. The truth is still that buying anything is a risk anymore, it has nothing especially to do with Noreen at all. Lotsa folks around here know more than I do about pretty much anything, and I don't want my questions to rub anyone the wrong way.

It's good to see Noreen on the forums, I think a lot of folks could stand to be informed and enlightened about who you guys are and what you're doing. I hope yall will stick around and aren't offended by me clearing the air.

Hi,

Notice in my threads I did not say "I" had the issues with Noreen but lets get direct to point then... Are you saying NONE of that happened?

What is funny is I go into details that coincide with LLs post but you reply back to me, :)
Changes his perception would definitely be more beneficial to your business than changing mine.

Edited To Add:
I agree with Bodie..It is great to see you all on the forums. I hope more manufacturers follow suit and go back to dedicated forums over social media such as FB, etc.

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
I figured if folks including snipers hide itself are going to trash talk maybe we should join to see what all the arm chair quarterbacks are talking about. We have most certainly had issues and will always have issues to some degree. There are so many aspects to building what others do not or have not its crazy. We are a small company and sometimes things get pushed out that maybe shouldnt. Some days thats the difference between turning the lights on or going home for good. We will do what we can as soon as possible when it comes to taking care of the customers.
We will continue to be here as a company as we have been doing long range rifles specifically since 1992 and longer on custom actions etc.
The ELR in this post will be an interesting rifle that is going to be at a price point others cannot do.
We like to shake up the firearms market, in doing that a lot will get pissed

So relaying factual information is trash talking now, I was standing there.

I was in the indoor range in Longmont, Brand New Noreen Semi Auto 338 shows up next to me. The guy, never met him, don't know him, asks if he can borrow my MagnetoSpeed, I say no problem, let him borrow it. 3 Rounds later I heard a thump, and the guys' gun detonates out of Battery, blows the bolt back into the PRS Stock, bends the upper receiver and the parts that come out the magwell cut up his arm. Again, I was right next to him, and he was using my MagnetoSpeed.

I understand you are acknowledging the "issues" of the past, but to date, I have not seen anything to describe what you did to fix it. And I can say, the incident at the time was sweep under the rug in order to minimize the bad press. I was doing Precision Rifle Classes for the range at the time and followed up on the incident. Being on the internet too you keep an ear out for updates, nothing, silence.

Are you are the only 338 Semi I have seen crater, nope. Last year at Shot, I was doing the World Record Event at Front Sight. Wilcox was there and my buddy was setting up the range for Range Day. He had a DRD 338LM there and asked me to shoot it. I said to him, not on a bet, and let it go at that. On Monday I was working the ATAC Range and he started blowing up my phone. He was Shooting the DRD, it cratered and blew back into his face sending him to the hospital. He jokingly blamed me for jinxing the rifle, we got together and compared notes on that one too.

Magnum Semis are not a joke, I spoke to Sword International this past week at SHOT. I only talked about the safety features of the rifle, didn't care about the claimed accuracy, the "who's" that use it, I wanted to know what they had in place to protect the shooter from an out of battery detonation. They have more than one layer of safety built into that system. I made him walk me through the safety before the conversation went any further.

I never set out to "Trash Talk" a company, there has to be a Reason, and not coming out and specifically talking about the steps taken to protect the shooter is an issue in my book. I want to know what safety features are in place, what happens when that bolt comes back at the shooter. What happens when a guy has a Magpul Gen 3 PRS and decides it's too long or he doesn't like it and switches it to something that won't catch the bolt the same way. That is a ton of force and not all of it goes down the magazine.

These are facts, call them trash all you want it happened. Spell out the safety features put in place and we can begin to have a conversation if its business as usual, I am not interested and pissing off one company is 100x better than someone getting hurt on a line because they think they need a 338 Semi Auto.

The firing pin cannot touch the primer without the bolt being locked up, does that clear up your comment. Fixed it. Customer taken care of maybe thats why you didnt see anything?
These posts is why I quit dealing with forums years ago, You chime in on a new product you have never heard about or seen, has not been realease yet even but everyone is a third party and saw something 8 years ago and obviously the company never fixes anything they are just really good at tricking people into buying exploding rifles. So good infact they never get sued or go out of business.

Last comment, if we see more third party folks talking I will hop on. Good luck on the forum ive got rifles to build

LOL

Third Party.... nice deflection

Good luck with all that, cause honestly, no it doesn't answer my question, I am sure that was the sales pitch the first time too.

So you know, I am not a Russian Roulette fan, hence the original comment.

I answered, nice deflection on the thread by the way. good luck ruling the forums and talking up the companies that line your pockets to do so and trashing the others

Name the companies lining my pockets...

Do you see me advocating any Magnum Based Semi's, do you see ads for your competitors ?

You have no idea what I charge, who pays me what or how, if at all

Saying the pin won't reach is not an answer. One of us is supporting the shooter, the other is trying to sell guns, guess who they are

Well, I just dug up this thread. My Noreen BN36X3 just arrived. Now waiting on glass so I can get out and shoot. Hopefully, I can post a real world review soon.

Yeah, I know but there was discussion about it above and out of battery issues. I will not post in this thread again.

Yeah, I know but there was discussion about it above and out of battery issues. I will not post in this thread again.
i wouldnt mind if you posted here again...lol

this thread seems to have morphed (before it dies) into a Noreen QC/customer service thread.

the rifle almost became irrelevant once the MFG started posting, and got into it with Frank.

if your not going to post here please start a new thread with some reviews and such.

im sure im not the only one who wants to hear more hands on experience with their rifles.

Reactions: JRodMT
Sounds good. I plan to post a review once I get glass on and find decent weather in Wisconsin. I will start a specific thread for that one and link it here. What I can say so far is that the fit and finish look great. I don't mind changing the stock or pistol grip because I would anyway. I actually just ordered the cheek riser kit from Luth. Cost of magazines is a bummer but, nature f the beast I guess. More importantly than anything else will be what happens when I shoot it.

Reactions: brianf
I would use a Magpul PRS Stock so when the bolt blows back into the rifle towards your head, the PRS Stock will catch it

The Noreen that blew up next to me needed it, bolt went back into the buffer pretty darn hard.

I recommend safety glasses and if it was me, I would wear my Ops-Core Helmet at least, however, I have found, for the best experience, don't shoot one. A vest wouldn't be a bad idea either if you are shooting off a bench. The shrapnel from the cratering is what causes most of the damage to the shooter, luckily. The beauty of the AR platform the boom goes out the magwell.

Lowlight I will keep that in mind.... fingers crossed that I keep my fingers.

tenor.gif

Sorta sums up my thoughts on Magnum ARs. Not sure we really need that? Maybe there's a use for it somewhere but look at the issues guys have with magnums and flinching, etc, in bolt actions...

Then look at issues guys have driving an AR10...

Now let's put them both together and that's a good thing, why?

Well, I just dug up this thread. My Noreen BN36X3 just arrived. Now waiting on glass so I can get out and shoot. Hopefully, I can post a real world review soon.

That model is NOT available in 338 LM (the cartridge in Frank's original comment - a different model, the Bad News), max for your model is .300 WinMag. What is your rifle chambered in?

Hopefully 22lr... lol

just screwing around, actually really interested in this thread....

keep it going

That model is NOT available in 338 LM (the cartridge in Frank's original comment - a different model, the Bad News), max for your model is .300 WinMag. What is your rifle chambered in?
Mine is .300 Win Mag. Glass should be here today then just waiting on the mount.... so much waiting.

tenor.gif

Sorta sums up my thoughts on Magnum ARs. Not sure we really need that? Maybe there's a use for it somewhere but look at the issues guys have with magnums and flinching, etc, in bolt actions...

Then look at issues guys have driving an AR10...

Now let's put them both together and that's a good thing, why?
I am on the opposite end, because we can. Similar to some of the wildcats. Do we NEED them? No, probably not but, I shoot for fun and this strikes me as something that might be fun. I acquire unique firearms and many would raise hackles in this forum such as my gold, tiger striped, Desert Eagle in .50AE.... I have it just because.

Reactions: ELR researcher
Threads like this more so much more useful than others. It’s never easy to ”buck the system” when things don’t go as they should so I appreciate that there’s still people out there willing to share their experiences despite the kickback.

My glass is in and mounted, just waiting for weather that isn’t 10 degrees and 30-50 mph woods with 5” of snow.... might end up just going to the 25 yard indoor range to adjust the gas block and check function when I am there to shoot my Tavor. Just seems crazy at a indoor range.