• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Norma, federal, or lake city 308 brass?

stello1001

Professional Newb
Minuteman
  • Feb 20, 2017
    Corpus Christi TX
    Hello all,

I'm trying to build up a stash of brass for me to reload later. I have factory offerings from those 3 different manufacturers. I don't want to keep a whole bunch of different brass brands.

Is there any one of these that is much preferred over the other?

I don't have a scale (yet) to get weights and measure their consistency, or case capacity. But I do have all components already so plan to slowly buy whatever tools i am still missing. I am in no rush.

Lake City LR 1x fired brass is fairly cheap, usually easy to get, well made and has a little less case capacity than Federal COTS brass so a little more efficient at getting the same muzzle velocities. Federal isnt bad but its a little soft compared to others.

No experience with Norma .308 brass but I like it for 300 Norma.

Reactions: Dogtown and simonp
    I have bags and bags of 1x LC brass that I dip into from time to time. Federal and Black Hills are comparable quality-wise, but you can really get good deals on processed LC brass.

If youre not going to hang onto all of it I would keep whichever you have the most in one lot of. I wouldnt want 10 different lots of brass even if it is the same headstamp. Thats how you run into little ticky tacky shit that drives you crazy later on.

If youre not going to hang onto all of it I would keep whichever you have the most in one lot of. I wouldnt want 10 different lots of brass even if it is the same headstamp. Thats how you run into little ticky tacky shit that drives you crazy later on.

This is exactly my thought process...

I have 200 of FGMM & 200 of the older prime which I understand is Norma brass. The LC stuff I don't have any on hand but want to buy some loaded ammo cuz it's cheap and I just can't resist the urge to want to try it. I'd be buying 250 or 500 rounds, haven't made up my mind yet haha...

But from all the posts, it seems like LC isn't so bad. I imagined everyone was going to say Norma would be higher quality.

Lake city has a pretty good rep. Is this loaded ammo remanufactured or is it factory new first firing? I’d be wary of reman being all different lots from the get go.

This is exactly my thought process...

I have 200 of FGMM & 200 of the older prime which I understand is Norma brass. The LC stuff I don't have any on hand but want to buy some loaded ammo cuz it's cheap and I just can't resist the urge to want to try it. I'd be buying 250 or 500 rounds, haven't made up my mind yet haha...

But from all the posts, it seems like LC isn't so bad. I imagined everyone was going to say Norma would be higher quality.
    To be clear, I and likely others are referring to Lake City LR fired out of pws not machine gun brass which IMO is nowhere near as good.

I have quite a bit of LC LR 08, and 10 or 15 brass. Once fired out of M24s or M110s. one of the batches has been cleaned and ready to be resized. The other batch needs cleaning.

To be clear, I and likely others are referring to Lake City LR fired out of pws not machine gun brass which IMO is nowhere near as good.

I know I know, I'm bringing back a somewhat inactive and old thread. I been super busy.

Anyhow, it sounds like lake city brass is sold in different forms. When you say "pws" are you referring to personal weapon system?

And the LC brass I am talking about in this thread would be from new factory ammo. At least I think so, there is no mention of this ammo being loaded with once fired brass.

If my assumption is true, that the brass is new and unfired, then this is probably the brass I want correct? Or are there different headstamps from LC that I need to watch out for or avoid?

I know I know, I'm bringing back a somewhat inactive and old thread. I been super busy.

Anyhow, it sounds like lake city brass is sold in different forms. When you say "pws" are you referring to personal weapon system?

And the LC brass I am talking about in this thread would be from new factory ammo. At least I think so, there is no mention of this ammo being loaded with once fired brass.

If my assumption is true, that the brass is new and unfired, then this is probably the brass I want correct? Or are there different headstamps from LC that I need to watch out for or avoid?
    My 3 0 hate friends seem to like LC brass
    As said avoid machine gun brass.

I have never found a LC 556 headstamp to avoid and I’d think 308?is the same.
    I do separate by date code.

Reactions: DIBBS
    My 3 0 hate friends seem to like LC brass
    As said avoid machine gun brass.

I have never found a LC 556 headstamp to avoid and I’d think 308?is the same.
    I do separate by date code.
    It’s really good brass. I loaded 350 rounds of 178gr eldms for a buddy in LCLR 08 brass.
    I have about 750 left if 08, 500 of 10 and I think 250 of 15 if anyone is interested.

PWS = precision weapon systems such as the M40A6 and M110 (as opposed to belt feds, etc).

I only use Lake City brass stamped with “LR” and the two digit year.

Hope that clears it up.

Reactions: stello1001
    For cheap(er) brass I've reloaded a couple thousand for 3 oh hate. I wouldn't say it was ever a limiting factor on my groups. All shot from bolt guns.

The LC LR marked brass is going to be better. It goes through a better quality control. That brass for sale in the link (I've got some of there 50BMG showing up soon) will be fine for a new reloader.

Sort by date on headstamp. Load, shoot, case prep and cull any offset primer flash holes. You should be good.

Hello all,

I'm trying to build up a stash of brass for me to reload later. I have factory offerings from those 3 different manufacturers. I don't want to keep a whole bunch of different brass brands.

Is there any one of these that is much preferred over the other?

I don't have a scale (yet) to get weights and measure their consistency, or case capacity. But I do have all components already so plan to slowly buy whatever tools i am still missing. I am in no rush.
    Norma is pretty good brass. Norma is usually new brass. However I’d lean LC because it’s cheaper and it’s good brass. Even once fired out of machine guns is decent brass for cheap. And if you can grab LC LR? Even better!

That machine gun brass.
    Never fired machine gun brass?

7.62x51 PRIMED CASES - 1000 CT​

Part Number: C-AM-762-PC-B-1000
    Review(s) (7) Write a Review
    Your Price: $350.00
    Retail Price:$385.00
    Your Savings:$35.00(9%)
    7.62x51 Primed Brass Cases - Brass has never been fired and is made from the same Lake City Brass that our Military uses (Pulled Brass).
    Price Per Case: $0.35
    Availability: In Stock
    Quantity +-

'Splain it to me, Lucy.

BTW, is this machine gun brass also? I just received 1k of them.

300 BLACKOUT PRIMED CASES - 1000 CT​

Part Number: C-AM-300-PC-B-1000
    Review(s) (2) Write a Review
    Your Price: $420.00
    Retail Price:$462.00
    Your Savings:$42.00(9%)
    300 Blackout Primed Brass Cases - Brass has never been fired and is made from the same Lake City Brass that our Military uses.
    Price Per Case: $0.42
    Availability: In Stock
    Quantity +-
    No, I AIN'T really askin'.

Last edited:
    This brass is most likely brass that failed quality control for some reason to be used for the military. Or it may just be an overrun of the lots. If the 308 is not marked LC LR than its a high probability of being machine gun ammo. But since this is never fired brass…….

The other brass is 5.56 as the US military does not use 300ACC. This is bought and manufactured to 300AAC by another company. I wont purchase brass from or rounds from that company due to poor poor manufacturing/quality control.

I do not recommend buying from American Marksman. These were made by bullet 1st I believe which American Marksman distributes. No quality control at all:

LC 18 & 19 rounds advertised as LC LR or M118LR:

lc 18 (1).jpg

lc 18 (2).jpg

lc 18 (1).jpg
    lc 18 (2).jpg
    lc 18 (3).jpg
    lc 18 (4).jpg
    LC 19 (1).jpg
    LC 19 (2).jpg
    LC 19 (3).jpg
    LC 19 (4).jpg

YMMV

This brass is most likely brass that failed quality control for some reason to be used for the military. Or it may just be an overrun of the lots. If the 308 is not marked LC LR than its a high probability of being machine gun ammo. But since this is never fired brass…….

The other brass is 5.56 as the US military does not use 300ACC. This is bought and manufactured to 300AAC by another company. I wont purchase brass from or rounds from that company due to poor poor manufacturing/quality control.

I do not recommend buying from American Marksman. These were made by bullet 1st I believe which American Marksman distributes. No quality control at all:

LC 18 & 19 rounds advertised as LC LR or M118LR:

View attachment 7729539
    View attachment 7729540
    View attachment 7729539View attachment 7729540View attachment 7729541View attachment 7729542View attachment 7729543View attachment 7729544View attachment 7729545View attachment 7729546

YMMV
    One of the best frakin' lessons that I never spent a dime on, towards the Instructor.
    What can I send you: bourbon or primers?

EDIT: I just found Winchester Brass, last 7 bags @ 100pcs each, at Red River Reloading through AMMO SEEK.
    Preparing to Ship
    Qty. 7 Winchester 300 AAC New Unprimed Brass /100
    Your Coupon Codes
    '53176 Snyd' $10 off of your next order over $200. Expires 04-27-2022

Best to you and all.

EDIT 2:
    Your Order Status Has Been Updated
    Your order # 53176 has been updated to Processing. Your payment was received and your order is being prepared for shipment. Thanks again for your business!

Last edited:
    One of the best frakin' lessons that I never spent a dime on, towards the Instructor.
    What can I send you: bourbon or primers?

EDIT: I just found Winchester Brass, last 7 bags @ 100pcs each, at Red River Reloading through AMMO SEEK.
    Preparing to Ship
    Qty. 7 Winchester 300 AAC New Unprimed Brass /100
    Your Coupon Codes
    '53176 Snyd' $10 off of your next order over $200. Expires 04-27-2022

Best to you and all.

EDIT 2:
    Your Order Status Has Been Updated
    Your order # 53176 has been updated to Processing. Your payment was received and your order is being prepared for shipment. Thanks again for your business!
    Hahah. I’ll take both😂

Hahah. I’ll take both😂
    One bottle of 4 Roses Single Barrel and 2 sleeves (100pcs each) CCI 450?
    My word is pretty much half-assed good for a Christian backslider.
    Will have a UPS tracking number sent in under 12 hours, company account.

Best to all.

Taking them to work in the morning. IM me and let me know Shipping Info.
    I'm outa here and will be quiet for the rest of the thread.
    I need a KARMA boost, send me the info, sir.

Last edited:
    One bottle of 4 Roses Single Barrel and 2 sleeves (100pcs each) CCI 450?
    My word is pretty much half-assed good for a Christian backslider.
    Will have a UPS tracking number sent in under 12 hours, company account.

Best to all.

Taking them to work in the morning. IM me and let me know Shipping Info.
    I'm outa here and will be quiet for the rest of the thread.
    I need a KARMA boost, send me the info, sir.
    pm sent