• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Normal wear on Rem 700 bolt cam surface?

derek1ee

Private
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2017
Admittedly I started my bolt action journey with custom actions, but I've recently acquired an accurized (blueprinted, bolt handle timed by LRI) Rem 700 barreled action. One thing I noticed is the "dent" on the bolt's cam surface, there are corresponding wear but less pronounced on the action side.

Is this a normal wear pattern on the Remington 700 actions?

1709530221296.png

1709530227816.png

1709530245531.png

If you look closely you will see a small crack also. you need to have a good gun smith look at it.

If you look closely you will see a small crack also. you need to have a good gun smith look at it.

On the action side? I think that's just weird reflection from the Cerakoted surface when taking the photo.

That's not wear, that's getting smashed by something.

Whether that means the bolt got dropped outside of the rifle and hit a rock, or the previous owner was beating it to get a case out. Nothing I would worry about or even ever look at again.

Reactions: thehjot
Looks pretty normal. You should be putting a little grease on that spot when you regrease the bolt.

Thanks all, also heard back from Chat@LRI, pasting here for reference.

"The cam surface of the receiver is different than the one on the bolt handle. The portion where the handle peens on the cam surface is where it’s making contact."

Reactions: moosemeat