• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Member Link Up North AL (Huntsville and surrounding areas)

sentry1

Crayon Eater
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2012
Madison, Alabama
I know there have got to be more shooters up north of Birmingham! Just about every other car I see driving around Huntsville has retired/disability/service license plates.

Re: North AL (Huntsville and surrounding areas)

I'm pretty close to gadsden do you know of any long distance ranges in the area or shooters clubs?

Jesus Christ, I'm from there. Hate to admit it, but born and bred. Not sure about now, but Larry's Pistol and Pawn used to have SCREAMING deals. The cops there buy their weapons from him and trade all their old stuff in. Huntsville spends a disgusting amount on cop shit despite the fact there is no crime there, but the upside is you get their trade ins constantly. For cheap, and some were never used it seems. JC's had some deals, but was always primed to rip you off if you weren't just on top of him every second. He used to be the biggest store in town, far larger than Larry's when I was a kid, so if you don't think business ethics matter, go compare those two.

I know of a lot of good shooting spots there, or did. Almost all of the hunting refuges there will have shooting ranges, some are better than others of course. Swan Creek was where I LEARNED to shoot --they cleaned it up and installed shooting benches and stuff 15 years ago though, not sure what it looks like now. But that place used to be THE place to go on Saturdays. I think Redstone used to let people on to use their ranges. Prior to 9/11, they'd let civilians in lots of areas. They still might make the ranges available. I know the military is required by law to make available at least one range to the public. Here at Ft. Lewis, it is a decent 300m open range.

Black Warrior, in the Talledega, has a few other good places. Hike into the Sipsey Wilderness (my favorite spot in all of AL) and you are golden. Like Eden. Good hunting there too.

Hell, I used to go out to the country and just pull over to the side of the road and scout out a clearing and just shoot. Lots of those cotton farmers will let you shoot their land if you ask and talk to them and explain you aren't a shit heel. Offer to do a menial chore for them, like inspect the far gate or some shit. Southerners usually like to be left the fuck alone, in private, but if you are neighborly and genuinely nice, they have a soft spot for that and will adopt you if given a chance.

Hell, wandering out in the sticks there, you can ALWAYS find somewhere to shoot.

I live in WA state now, and you'd THINK there would be a ton of places to shoot here, but there isn't. I guess there are, but none that are good common 1000m+ places, not West of the Cascades. Hard to find good rifle shooting spots like I like them; now and again you can get in on a good clear cut, but those only last a year or two before they grow back over.

The Midwest was the best place to live to shoot, but God, everything else sucked. The beer was urine and I couldn't get laid because I didn't own a pair of cowboy boots or an Achey Breakey Heart CD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lawofsavage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm pretty close to gadsden do you know of any long distance ranges in the area or shooters clubs? </div></div>

Blue & Gray is a good range, but they top out at 200 yards.

I have private 1000 yard steel range, It's for testing ammo for summit ammo and weapons system testing, Some hi speed kit gets fielded here first some times .

I take a few fellas to shoot every so often ,But Use that time for paying customers.

If you want Long range class in AL. Contact Wayofthegun.us mr frank proctor. Take his class it's worth every penny .

Thanks for the info on Frank. I will definitely be giving him a call!

Jody at JP Precision recommended that I take his class as well. I don't have many free weekends until after October 6. I am definitely going to contact him after that.

Gunsmiths seem to be hard to find here in the Huntsville/Madison area. Anyone got recommendations? Places that can do things from mounting/boresighting scopes to accurizing an action.

Checking in. I'm just east of B'ham.

Scheduled to go take Frank's precision rifle class next week. Who is this Jody you speak of?