• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

North American Rescue Maritime Assault Kit

Lochem158

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2010
NJ, USA
Hey Guys just got the NA Rescue Maritime Assault first aid kit and I am so impressed with it I had to post it and see what others are using. I have been and EMT for years and as a firearms instructor I think any one who shoots, works in LE, or serves in the Military should have at least the basic IPOK kit on their person. I think this is the best kit I have found for the rapid treatment of penetrating trauma. Below is a list of the contents. What else do I need or what else do you cary?

vdzx4.jpg

Special Features:
NAR's most compact IFAK design
500D CORDURA® Solution-Dyed Nylon with Near Infrared Signature Reduction
Ghillie-Tex IR signature reduction hardware
Sand & water resistant, self-repairing zipper with silent 550 cord pulls
MOLLE-style Attachment System Compatible
Removable Belt and Leg Straps
Leg Strap with Quick-Grip™
Kit Contents:
1 x Bag (CCRK®–Maritime)
4 x Black Talon® Nitrile Trauma Gloves (2 pr.)
1 x Nasopharyngeal Airway 28F with Lubricant
1 x HyFin® Chest Seal
1 x ARS® Needle Decompression Kit (14 G x 3.25 in.)
1 x C-A-T® (Combat Application Tourniquet®)
1 x ETD™ 6 in. Emergency Trauma Dressing
1 x Z-Fold Vacuum Packed QuikClot Combat Gauze
1 x S-Rolled Gauze™ (4.5 in. x 4.1 yd)
1 x Combat Casualty Reference Card
1 x Triage Card (NAR T2 Tag®)
Dimensions:
Case Closed: H 7.4 in. x W 6.9 in. x D 5 in.
Weight: 1 lb 13 oz

http://www.narescue.com/theme/nar/img/Products/80-0015_a.jpg

Re: North American Rescue Maritime Assault Kit

Nice kit, and I also recommend one to shooters or others working in a risky environment. It's pretty close to what I carry for my personal kit with a few differences. Trauma sheers is always a must for me. We started carrying the chitosan based products instead of the Quikclot at the behest of our medics for safety purposes. Luckily I haven't had to test it out yet. I also carry 2 tourniquets, but I have a threat of blast trauma that can take multiple limbs. Finally some tape and a large ziplock bag in case a gunshot is a through and through, and you have a 2 sided chest wound you need to make air tight on one side.

Same one I have used for the last 4 years. May want to add some flat wrapped 100mph tape (riggers tape, green duct tape whatever you call it), tampons as well as a tube of superglue.

Also I have a ziploc baggie with assorted bandaids and alcohol prep wipes for the predictable cuts you get along the way. Its a good blow out kit but IMO getting out one baind aid and a dissnfectant quickly is a PITA so I keep them in my shirt pocket.

You know...in all the years I have carried a "kit" I never thought to include a nasopharyngeal airway. Good call. I Always focused on OPAs.
Gonna update my kit tonight.

I have a similar kit from NA Rescue, and added a few things to it just like Redmanss and Anchor Zero Six. Another thing to throw in is a SAM splint. If you fold it right it does fit, though its a bit tight. Good to have one, since they're a very versatile splint and can be used to make a hasty cervical collar if necessary.

Nasopharyngeal Airways are a must have in a kit. Most older kits came with J-tubes, which will work... if the poor guy is unconscious. As soon as he wakes up gag reflex takes over. The Nasal can be used in conscious and unconscious patients. Not to mention the are faster and easier to use, and take up less space in a kit.

Yeah I added the trama shears... Nice call on the zip lock bag, tampons,and supper glue ! I think I am going to take the tourniquet out of the kit and attach it to middle of the front of my vest so I can get at it with both hands..a As for the kit I am still looking for the best place to attach it.

General rule of thumb...you do NOT want to put <span style="font-weight: bold">boo-boo</span> kit in with your <span style="font-weight: bold">blow-out</span> kit. Boo-boo is meant for trivial stuff that you are most likely to encounter, and blow-out is your catastrophic "I'm fucked up gear" that you want to leave sealed for that crappy day you need it.

I was all ready to hate this setup and then I realized it is actually fairly simple..

I will say that this appears to be geared to a military setting... a hunter operating without support would want to make a number of adjustment.

Sealing wounds with super glue or sutures in the austere is not a plan I would encourage.

I agree in most cases there would be no need to use the supper glue. On the other hand it is a very small and light addition the may help if advanced care is days away....I do understand the risk of infection when you close a dirty wound. What adjustment would you recommend ?

blast injuries are somewhat rare in the woods....perhaps more focus on sprains, strains, breaks, sudden onset disease.

The premise that definitive care (read 'surgery') is one dust off away and a medic plus multiple trained 'combat lifesavers' will be on you in seconds drives much of the trauma treatment model for the military. A hunter in the woods will likely wait hours for medic level treatment and dust off could be very long off.

Ok so The premis of this thread was not the sprain or strain it was the rapid treatment of penetrating trauma...hunter military police makes no difrence...

<span style="font-style: italic">Edit: Lochem beat me to it, but I'm leaving it as stated.</span>

The entire premise of this type of kit is to have the tools on you to provide immediate treatment to trauma wounds that would cause death in a matter of minutes. Yes, it is geared towards a military, law enforcement, or dynamic live fire range environment just like the OP stated, but is also quite practical for hunters or other dangerous type outdoor activities too.

Anytime firearms are involved, you must be prepared for someone to get shot. Get hit in an artery and not have the ability to stop the bleeding in a minute or less, and you run the serious risk of dying from a wound that could have been survivable.

Something like this is not an end all-be all though, and that is not what is being said here either. Having a kit like this is similar to having a handgun for protection. Is it better to have it on your hip, or in the cabinet?

I use a kit like this but also have a comprehensive kit in the vehicle that includes the splints, c-collar, wraps, basic "boo-boo" kits (DK, you crack me up) and much more. Backpacking I carry both with the trauma kit on my gear and the other in the ruck in a trimmed down form.

Most of all though, proper training is key. Having all the cool kit in the world does not mean you can use it properly. Spend the money on the classes to save a life, as it may be your own or someone you really care about.

As for the super glue, I prefer to just bandage an open wound and if it is bad enough to necessitate sutures, it's bad enough to go get them done right. Stop the bleeding, clean, bandage, and seek care.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lochem158</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok so The premis of this thread was not the sprain or strain it was the rapid treatment of penetrating trauma...hunter military police makes no difrence... </div></div>

Makes sense...sorry for the threadjack

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sjb269</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know...in all the years I have carried a "kit" I never thought to include a nasopharyngeal airway. Good call. I Always focused on OPAs.
Gonna update my kit tonight. </div></div>

If you are going to carry and possible use those, better get a small container/squeeze tube of lube, those things can stir up bleeding and that is not good for the airway you are TRYING to protect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric Long</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you are going to carry and possible use those, better get a small container/squeeze tube of lube, those things can stir up bleeding and that is not good for the airway you are TRYING to protect. </div></div>

It says it includes lube, it is 28fr (small) and if inserted correctly, the chance of significant bleeding is minimal.
I would prefer to have some minor nasal mucosal bleeding and an airway than not have an airway.

madd0c

I just got that same kit, well actually the bag, and filled it up with what they listed. I included the NA Rescue Nasopharyngeal Airways and it came with lube.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madd0c</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric Long</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you are going to carry and possible use those, better get a small container/squeeze tube of lube, those things can stir up bleeding and that is not good for the airway you are TRYING to protect. </div></div>

It says it includes lube, it is 28fr (small) and if inserted correctly, the chance of significant bleeding is minimal.
I would prefer to have some minor nasal mucosal bleeding and an airway than not have an airway.

madd0c </div></div>

Contraindication for naso's is possible head trauma. Which in turn the unconscious pt usually has head trauma unless he's just shnockered. Its to avoid sending that piece of flexible rubber to the brain ala basilar skull fracture. It should really have a pocket mask. If you are gonna use a naso dont worry about lube, just use the poor guys spit. Stick it in his mouth into either cheek area and pull out. Wolla now its lubed and u dont have to carry those packets anymore in your bag unless its actually for those lonely range times.

Never thought of the airway, will def add to my kit. But do keep nylon & gut suture, hemo's, trauma scissors, needle driver, and Derma-Bond. Hey, never know.

I just thought of one more thing I might add. A 10' Leght 1" tubular webbing that can be user as an extraction device, extra tourniquet, or what ever else it would be good for...?

Nice kit & some great ideas - some things could be improvised but having items to seal major wounds and prevent bleed out big plus -
to put it in prespective -

I have been on hunts with no cell coverage and 45 miles to nearest band-aid and about 90miles to the closest med center - so while you dont expect to use the major nasty items state side - there is a reason they call them accidents

and with that said where do I pick up one of these?

Thanx for the link - will put it on the as soon as I get the bucks list- great looking Item

I just came back from an elk trip and realized how weak my kit was in regards to first aid. This kit looks like it's the cure.