• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IFAK's - Kit List and Information

1584665789715.png

Are these available to civis ?
If so where ?

View attachment 7277031

If so where ?

I know Chinook Medical sells medicine packs but that mix looks a bit "stronger" than the aspirin, ibuprofen and stomach complication meds they generally pack.

Assuming if you have the right credentials though they will have something for you.

So where does one go to get some training ? I'm just regular Joe and last training I had was 256 years ago in Slovakian army and it wasn't much .:)

So where does one go to get some training ? I'm just regular Joe and last training I had was 256 years ago in Slovakian army and it wasn't much .:)

When I was in High School, I took the EMT course through my community college. It was all day on Saturdays for a semester and then went to take the state exam at the end. It was really good training. It actually ended up landing me a job as an EMT with an ambulance company straight out of school but, where it really paid off was when I joined the military.

Anyway, check your local community college.

Bob

Reactions: brianf
I'm looking for a book on TCCC. I've found the rangers handbook. It has protocols and stuff. I'm looking for something with pictures. Any ideas?

There is a Pre-hospital TCCC version that is used to supplement training for civilian para-medics and combat corpsman . As a former Navy combat surgeon and civilian trauma surgeon I can recommend it highly; it is edited by both Emergency College of Physicians and American College of Surgeons on Trauma Care. Much of the TCCC literature is available free on line as PDF downloads.

This other text Tactical Medicine....not so much to recommend it.

IMG_5726.jpg
IMG_5727.jpg

I dedicate a compartment of my range bag to IFAK supplies. Been in EMS for 12 years, have taken TCCC and PHTLS, seen and treated GSWs etc. It's a relatively simple / practical / standard kit. You're not going to find me doing anything invasive (decompression/wound packing/probably NPA) on anybody except close friends or family for liability reasons outside of work. Wound packing is not a common practice in EMS atm even though it probably should be.

I'm a firm believer in "no good deed goes unpunished." Most of this will keep me in that happy Good Samaritan friend /legal immunity zone. I keep a small better equipped jump kit in my car/house but I don't keep an IFAK on me for EDC. I try not to interject myself into a scene (such as a wreck). It's a good way to get hit by a car or something equally stupid. This is just what I carry to the public range or the woods when I go shooting. If the shooting was accidental, I'll stay and play. But if it's not, I'm gonna duck out of the shit show and go home with the family while I still can.

My kit:

2 x Rolled Kerlix​
6 x 4x4s​
1 x roll of coban (I prefer this over tape to keep pressure dressings clamped down; works great)​
1 x 28 Fr NPA​
1 x Shears​
1 x CAT (awesome tool)​
2 x Vaseline gauze / Chest Seal (I personally hate Vaseline gauze but it's what I have)​
1 x small roll of duct tape (practical item imo. you can fix anything with this stuff; great for rugged field expedient splints where paper tape might fail)​
1 x small roll of 3" tape​
1 x pen light​
1 x baggie of various band-aids & travel tube of ibuprofen, caffeine pills, and bacitracin ointment for boo boos and pick me ups.​
2 x triangle bandages (compact option for extra tourniquets).​
6 pairs of gloves (you'll want more than 1, trust me)​
2 x face mask (I'll use my shooting glasses for eye protection from splatter)​
1 x 12ga needle for chest decompression (for family only)​
We use the SPEAR device at work these days.​
110860362_1913610138775512_6495820422198169652_n.jpg
This should be more than enough to plug and play (if it's a plug & playable wound) for the 10 minutes it'll take for EMS to arrive and get setup assuming law enforcement doesn't keep them away from the scene too long. It weighs about a lb and is all I can fit into the bag compartment. Hopefully I'll never have to use anything other than the boo-boo baggie.

Last edited:
View attachment 7277031

If so where ?

Instead you should probably go with 2000mg tylenol (4grams WAS the limit, now considered poison) and I'd swap the Vioxx with 800mg Motrin. THe last one is an antibiotic, just ask your doc for a strong multi spectrum antibiotic (and BE SURE to tell him how you'll take it, it'll affect which one he prescribes).

OR you can just copy what's there but I'd still reduce the tylenol. Fuck, it'd be safer to include 15mg. morphine than 4g tylenol!

There is a Pre-hospital TCCC version that is used to supplement training for civilian para-medics and combat corpsman . As a former Navy combat surgeon and civilian trauma surgeon I can recommend it highly; it is edited by both Emergency College of Physicians and American College of Surgeons on Trauma Care. Much of the TCCC literature is available free on line as PDF downloads.

This other text Tactical Medicine....not so much to recommend it.

View attachment 7370574View attachment 7370581

Another goodie is the SF field surgical manual or some such. Forget the title but it goes more indepth than you'll want to. Good to know though, if it's appendix out or die may as well give it the 'ole college try!

Also you all should beware that in some places, and some procedures, you can get screwed if you do it wrong. Or even if you do it right. You assist a stranger and you may not get the "thanks" you figured on. For instance, I can administer an IV having taken the CLS classes but I can also be sued for doing that to a car wreck victim despite where it was necessary or not. And that nasal tube? It's probably fucked up more people than it's helped, be very careful with that. A misapplied tourniquet is grounds for a civil suit too, damage or not.

Finally, please don't go straight to the tourniquet for rubber bullet wounds. Try the looney toons bandaid first.

And it's called an "I" FAK for a reason --it's YOUR shit. For you.

I dedicate a compartment of my range bag to IFAK supplies. Been in EMS for 12 years, have taken TCCC and PHTLS, seen and treated GSWs etc. It's a relatively simple / practical / standard kit. You're not going to find me doing anything invasive (decompression/wound packing/probably NPA) on anybody except close friends or family for liability reasons outside of work. Wound packing is not a common practice in EMS atm even though it probably should be.

I'm a firm believer in "no good deed goes unpunished." Most of this will keep me in that happy Good Samaritan friend /legal immunity zone. I keep a small better equipped jump kit in my car/house but I don't keep an IFAK on me for EDC. I try not to interject myself into a scene (such as a wreck). It's a good way to get hit by a car or something equally stupid. This is just what I carry to the public range or the woods when I go shooting. If the shooting was accidental, I'll stay and play. But if it's not, I'm gonna duck out of the shit show and go home with the family while I still can.

My kit:

2 x Rolled Kerlix​
6 x 4x4s​
1 x roll of coban (I prefer this over tape to keep pressure dressings clamped down; works great)​
1 x 28 Fr NPA​
1 x Shears​
1 x CAT (awesome tool)​
2 x Vaseline gauze / Chest Seal (I personally hate Vaseline gauze but it's what I have)​
1 x small roll of duct tape (practical item imo. you can fix anything with this stuff; great for rugged field expedient splints where paper tape might fail)​
1 x small roll of 3" tape​
1 x pen light​
1 x baggie of various band-aids & travel tube of ibuprofen, caffeine pills, and bacitracin ointment for boo boos and pick me ups.​
2 x triangle bandages (compact option for extra tourniquets).​
6 pairs of gloves (you'll want more than 1, trust me)​
2 x face mask (I'll use my shooting glasses for eye protection from splatter)​
1 x 12ga needle for chest decompression (for family only)​
We use the SPEAR device at work these days.​
This should be more than enough to plug and play (if it's a plug & playable wound) for the 10 minutes it'll take for EMS to arrive and get setup assuming law enforcement doesn't keep them away from the scene too long. It weighs about a lb and is all I can fit into the bag compartment. Hopefully I'll never have to use anything other than the boo-boo baggie.

You can get Hyfin compact chest seals on Amazon now. $15.
I hate vaseline too.

Used to be a cardiac nerd. Pulling 2 lg bore cheat tubes, one after the other, on CABG and valve patients, sometimes 2-3 patients a day.
Lots of that crap ended up on my scrubs.

You can get Hyfin compact chest seals on Amazon now. $15.
I hate vaseline too.

Used to be a cardiac nerd. Pulling 2 lg bore cheat tubes, one after the other, on CABG and valve patients, sometimes 2-3 patients a day.
Lots of that crap ended up on my scrubs.
Yup. NA Rescue chest seals are the answer. I have them in my camelback, med pack, trail pack.... all the packs LOL

Pack of 2 for $16.
Screenshot_20200909-182040_Amazon Shopping~2.jpg

Reactions: powdahound76
They now have a “compact” packaging on that 2 pack.
a couple of my IFAKs arent much bigger than a 2x M4 mag pouch, so small is good.

@Karabast - I hear you about being careful who you treat.
i carry a substantial kit in my truck.
i only get involved if its serious.
I will do Darn near anything I can if its life or death.

my IFAKs include a needle kit, cause all But one of my boys are medics, nurses, or docs.
and the one who isnt, isnt gonna sue me.

Reactions: clcustom1911
10% off Chinook Medical Gear "MyPaks"

Build your own kits.

They also offer MIL/LEO discount,,,,,I doubt they stack the discounts though......but maybe?

Chinook has a good sale going for Veterans Day...

Reactions: wth
Instead you should probably go with 2000mg tylenol (4grams WAS the limit, now considered poison) and I'd swap the Vioxx with 800mg Motrin. THe last one is an antibiotic, just ask your doc for a strong multi spectrum antibiotic (and BE SURE to tell him how you'll take it, it'll affect which one he prescribes).

OR you can just copy what's there but I'd still reduce the tylenol. Fuck, it'd be safer to include 15mg. morphine than 4g tylenol!

Another goodie is the SF field surgical manual or some such. Forget the title but it goes more indepth than you'll want to. Good to know though, if it's appendix out or die may as well give it the 'ole college try!

Also you all should beware that in some places, and some procedures, you can get screwed if you do it wrong. Or even if you do it right. You assist a stranger and you may not get the "thanks" you figured on. For instance, I can administer an IV having taken the CLS classes but I can also be sued for doing that to a car wreck victim despite where it was necessary or not. And that nasal tube? It's probably fucked up more people than it's helped, be very careful with that. A misapplied tourniquet is grounds for a civil suit too, damage or not.

Finally, please don't go straight to the tourniquet for rubber bullet wounds. Try the looney toons bandaid first.

And it's called an "I" FAK for a reason --it's YOUR shit. For you.
THAT'S what scares me. I am not trained (but need to be), so I fear any basic stuff I might do could and would be used against me. What's the saying, "No good deed goes unpunished"? I do need the training, though, just for my family's sake, if anything. This is a great thread.

Great information here, thanks to everyone who has contributed. Does anyone carry multiple tourniquets or different types in their kit? SWAT-t vs CAT

CAT or SOF-T wide.

Despite what they say, the SWAT doesnt cut the mustard.
Dont buy into BS or reviews. Just use proven stuff.

The SWAT can be used as an effective TQ on small children and K9s, but not on adults. It can also be used as a compression bandage, and in combination with Kerlix or similar as an improvised Israeli bandage. Carry one if you have the room.

As @powdahound76 said, CAT or SOFTT-W. Both have been proven in the field by military and EMS.

Why?

it “can be” but isnt always and isnt 100%.
space and weight are an issue.

dont waste space and time (confusion under duress, its real) with stuff thats a maybe.

Consult the American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma and their tourniquet recommendations.

Why? Why not? Not every situation calls for a TQ. Would you rather have a TQ or a SWAT for a torso bleed?

• Haha
Reactions: powdahound76
CAT or SOF-T wide.

Despite what they say, the SWAT doesnt cut the mustard.
Dont buy into BS or reviews. Just use proven stuff.

We are issued SWAT-T at work.

A coworker had a maniac cut the shit out of him.

His hands were so blood covered he couldnt open the package and im wondering if he would have been able to avoid slippage enough to tighten the device. The nerve damage likely limited the fine motor control to tuck too. Luckily another good guy came along and filled up the bad guy with leaded.

Of course they fucked up the story.....it was a second cop that shot the bad guy...

Useful as a standard Ace bandage or second line pressure dressing but not timely for shutting off the spigot.

Just my thought.

Get a real windlass type TQ.

If economics lead to different types just make sure whoever may be using them is familiar with them.

I bought a blue training Sof-T wide and let all coworkers know its in my mailbox to play with.

Surprisingly it hasnt been stolen but sadly it hasnt been practiced with either.

Last edited:
But its pushed as a tourniquet. “Other” uses follow.

And I dont need more crap to make a pressure dressing.
Carry a pressure dressing if you need one. Trying to concoct one under pressure doesnt work.
Outside of a few situations, inside the US, direct pressure and packing of a thorax injury are going to be more beneficial than a pressure dressing anyways.

@pmclaine - that sucks they dont train. When the blood is flowing they will look like a baby who just dirtied his nappy.
Good on you fogetting after it.
Even though you may work with good people, you live in the land of stupid and it can even infect good dedicated folks and lead them to believe they will be ok without practice.
im sure some only shoot for quals too.

powdahound80XGunny Sergeant
Rating: 3.3/5 this site
598 posts this site
IFAKs- kit list and information
08/28/2015 Last edited 08/29/2015 by tucker301
(6 votes)

Due to recent events with an injury from a ND, there was a conversation of creating a thread with information on a good IFAK. The contents vary a bit based on training. The list I am including is for those with limited or no training. You must read about the equipment and have working knowledge of it prior to an emergency arising. Reading a simple guide to first aid is good, taking a class, be it TCCC or something less involved is better than just a book. These classes can be expensive. We justify a metric shit ton of expenditures for all sorts of things. Many of us own firearms specifically aimed at keeping us safe. This knowledge and kit can be and often is life saving if the moment arises, it is up to you to decide what you or your shooting buddies life could be worth, or even that of a complete stranger.

KIT LIST:

Tourniquet - CAT, SOF-T - the other brands I know of do not easily allow for it to be tightened well enough to be effective. Both of these are one handed operation - key element.

Quickclot Combat Guaze -There was a study of all available hemostatic dressings. They used pigs and did real time tests on clotting. This one came out way above in all categories. No messing around. You want the Z-folded guaze, not a sponge, not the powder. All other guazes are not the same.

Pressure dressing. I like 2 sizes, I use a 4" and a 6". I like the rolled variety. These are prepackaged a easy to use.

Halo Chest Seal - I do not know of another brand. They make vented and unvented. Proper use and knowledge of what to use come from the class.

Nasopharyngeal Airway 28F - this will fit most. This provides a way to keep an open airway in an unconscious patient with a gag relfex. You will learn about this in class. DO NOT FUCK around with this if you dont know. If there is further facial trauma with fractures going into the basilar skull, you could stick this into the brain. This will certainly kill them.

Trauma Shears - basic and cheap. Allow rapid access to wounds. Can cut tape, bandages, or whatever else. Nice Titanium ones can be found on Ebay or Amazon. They are nicer and stay sharper much longer.

If you shoot at a busy range, maybe throw some gloves in - keep yourself safe at all times!

Except for the shears, all items can be found at rescue-essentials.com There are other places, but they have a good selection, good prices, and flat rate shipping.

Unless you are actually an operator [(no, you are not)if you are, your employer usually furnishes this gear?], I recommend bright ass colors for your tourniquet, dressing packaging, and shears. Easier to find once you dump your IFAK, easy to see tourniquets are awesome on the receiving end, hard to miss.

There are many ways to store an IFAK. Most of the well known brands of gear aimed at the tactical crowd makes a kit especially for this. HSGI, blue force, 5.11, many others.

I use a cheap 5.11 6x6 MOLLE pouch or the next size up. Its all I need and my list is a bit bigger than what is listed above based on my knowledge.

Once you take a class, build a kit. Build a second one. Make your shooting buddies have one in their packs. If you feel the need for overkill, make a bigger one to keep in the truck.

I have no financial involvement with any of the companies listed. I have used a lot of this gear, in training or in life and appreciate it for its effectiveness and simplicity. If someone has information better than mine, please share. I do this for a living, I teach this for a living. That does not mean I know everything and I always love to learn.

I have the lists and links to view/purchase each of these, plus some of the fancier IFAK kits, but cannot cut and paste the google doc due to lockouts on my work laptop. If an admin (Tucker) would be willing to help with that, PM me and I can mail you the google docs.

Please be safe!

IFAK Contents

US Army ISR Hemostatic Study

Practical Use of Tourniquet

Rate now:
pmclaineXFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.5/5 this site
4218 posts this site
Re: IFAKs- kit list and information
08/28/2015
(1 vote)

Awesome thank you.

The kits I posted elsewhere were a one step shopping excercise but I agree they contain gear beyond the basic goals of stop the bleeding, check for breathing, treat for shock, that almost anyone can employ with minimal training.

Thank you for taking time to post. Now I need to do some shopping. I think a modest expenditure of +/- $100 is not an exorbitant amount for responsibility and prep. Actually a lot cheaper than most of the stuff I buy in this sport.
Rate now:
598 posts this site
08/28/2015

Pmclaine

If you look at the website, other than a bag to store it in on your person, the website listed is a one-stop shopping. Any smallish bag will work. A small fanny pack from Walmart will work. Just make it small and easy to find the gear is my best advice, the KISS principle applies for sure.

I might add, if you dont have to go all "tactical", make it a bright bag and mark it well.

Rate now:
herofish
herofish.gif

X56 MONTHS
Premium Member
First Sergeant
2434 posts this site
08/28/2015

I have been having problems getting the quick clot combat gauze z-fold - where can I get this ideally in bulk?

Rate now:
anb618XCorporal
Rating: 3.0/5 this site
79 posts this site
08/28/2015 Last edited 08/28/2015 by anb618

For anyone interested in buying a well thought out prepackaged kit, AR500 Armor sells their "Emergency Personal Injury Kits" or EPIKs that I think are very well thought out and priced very reasonably, especially the Pocket EPIKs and Pack EPIKs.

I purchased a Pocket EPIK ($29.99) and a Pack Light EPIK ($39.99) for range and work use.

The Pack Light EPIK contains;
(1) Celox 15g Hemostatic Granule Packet
(1) Swat-Tourniquet (Swat-T, Tourniquet, Pressure Dressing, or Elastic Bandage)
(1) H&H Thin-H Emergency Bandage (Compression Bandage, Hasty Tourniquet, or Emergency Sling)
(1) H&H PriMed Compressed Gauze Roll - 4.5" x 4.1 yards
(1) Waterproof Medical Tape - .5" x 2.5 yards (I replaced with 1" 3M Transpore waterproof tape)
(1) Pair Heavy Duty Black Nitrile Medical Gloves (Large)
(1) Re-sealable heavy duty aLOKSAK

The Pocket EPIK contains;
(1) Celox 15g Hemostatic Granule Packet
(1) Swat-Tourniquet (Swat-T, Tourniquet, Pressure Dressing, or Elastic Bandage)
(1) H&H PriMed Compressed Gauze - 4.5" x 4.1 yards
(1) 4" Compressed Bandage
(1) Pair Heavy Duty Black Nitrile Medical Gloves (Large)
(1) Re-sealable heavy duty aLOKSAK
(I added the 0.5" waterproof medical tape from the Pack Light EPIK in a void within the aLOKSAK without adding any bulk)

*This kit actually fits in my cargo shorts pocket when off-duty, and in my uniform pants cargo pocket without being unreasonably bulky. I realize I have no chest seal in either EPIK, but I have received basic SelfAid/BuddyAid training and know I can MacGyver a chest seal out of materials I already have on hand at the range and at work.

The two kits I bought are two of the more conservative kits since I have to weigh mobility and preparedness. Check them out if you're interested.
http://www.ar500armor.com/medical-kits-epiks.html

Rate now:
598 posts this site
08/28/2015

@bisontactical - I dont know where to buy bulk, especially at a discounted rate. I would try contacting rescue essentials or even better, Quickclot.

The cheaper kits do add some benefits over nothing, but are not the best in my opinion. In the world of life and death, is it worth going cheap?

The Celox is an inferior product to the Quickclot combat gauze. I will get that study posted, then everyone can make their own decision regarding if the better product is worth the extra money.

The SWAT tourniquet will probably not work to control a mass hemorrhage. The nylon that tightens, then the stick that twists to tighten it is the key of a good tourniquet. That is why I only recommended the two I did, they are the best.

As for "making shit up on the fly" it is possible. Will it be as fast or as good? Be honest with yourself here. Its a $12-20 investment for the pre-made ones. So many of us on here function at a high speed when the shit hits the fan, we run at chaos, that we will be able to do what is needed in the moment. Making it as simple as opening a package stacks the odds in my favor. I work in a high level environment with all the staff, tools, and training to do this, we still use specific tools premade for the job.

Rate now:
LRShooter101XGunny Sergeant
Rating: 3.4/5 this site
612 posts this site
08/28/2015 Last edited 08/31/2015 by LRShooter101
(1 vote)

Keep in mind, something is better than nothing, and with anything there are "Pros & Cons" and "Good, Better, Best".

In terms of Gear/Equipment

Tourniquet - SOF-T Wide

https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/product/sof-tactical-tourniquet-wide/

(Personally, I would NOT spend money on a CAT Combat Applications Tourniquet, high failure rate, Chinese fakes, etc)

Pressure Dressing

OLAES - https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/product/olaes-modular-bandage/

H Bandage - http://gohandh.com/multi-use-hemostat-and-compression-bandage

Occlusive Dressing

Commercial Chest Seals (Asherman, Beacon, Fox) - https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/category/airway-and-breathing/

Hemostats

Quickclot Combat Gauze - https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/product/quikclot-combat-gauze-military-only/

Celox, HemCon, etc - http://search.chinookmed.com/search...--searchtype-and--template-search--type-store

They all work well in the field, as long as they are NOT some form of Powder. Make sure they are impregnated in a Sponge or Gauze.

Notes on Gear Equipment:

- watch for Chinese Fakes especially on ebay

- many of these items like Hemostats have expiration dates. Arguments about how long past the date they are still good, when in doubt don't buy/use expired stuff!

- you can go to your local Dollar Store, buy gauze, ace bandages, and duct tape, and that will go a long way. You can improvise Tourniquets. You can use any plastic for an occlusive dressing. Keeping people alive, comes down to having some supplies, but knowledge and technique are ultimately the critical component.

Below is the way that we teach our people, it seems to work the best for most people without high levels of medical training.

There are 5 primary penetrating traumas that you are going to need to address based on location of the injury and treatment procedures:

Extremities / Arms & Legs - Gauze, Ace Bandage, Tape, Commercial Pressure Dressing, Tourniquet

Start with direct pressure on the wound site, elevation above the heart level, followed by pressure points, if that all fails go with a Tourniquet. You can also use a Hemostat (Quick Clot, Celox, etc) with a pressure dressing, but if the bleeding is severe enough you are generally better off to just go with a Tourniquet if the pressure dressing is not working.

Junctional Areas / Pelvis & Hips, Shoulders - Gauze, Ace Bandage, Tape, Commercial Pressure Dressing

Start with direct pressure on the wound site, if that all fails apply a Hemostat (Quick Clot, Celox, etc), pack the wound and apply pressure and/or pressure dressing.

Chest - Occlusive Air Tight Material, Commercial Chest Seal, Ace Bandage, Tape

Seal the injury site with an occlusive dressing (air tight material). If you completely seal the wound, monitor breathing, if it becomes labored (air escaping from lung is filling the plural space), open the seal and "burp it" allowing trapped air to clear the plural space, then reseal it. If you use a seal with a valve, or leave a partial opening in the seal, the wound should "burp" itself as needed.

Abdomen - Clean Sterile Dressings, Ace Bandage, Tape

Manage large amounts of bleeding with direct pressure and pressure dressings. Cover any protruding viscera or organs with sterile dressings. Do NOT attempt to place anything back into the abdominal cavity. Most life threatening bleeding will be internal, and little to nothing can be done for that in the field.

Head - Clean Sterile Dressings, Ace Bandage, Tape, Airway Adjuncts

Manage large amounts of bleeding with direct pressure and pressure dressings. Be very careful with pressure if the skull or other bones are compromised. Monitor for signs of airway compromise, maintain the person in a position that will allow fluids to drain out of air passage ways. Place/Insert Basic Airway Adjuncts (Nasopharyngeal Airway).

With all injuries above, remember "MARCH"

M - Massive Bleeds, Stop Arterial Bleeding

A - Airway, Maintain Airway based on Position, use of Adjuncts

R - Respiration, if not adequate, Rescue Breathing

C - Circulation, CPR if needed

H - Hypothermia, remove wet/bloody clothing, keep dry and warm

Look for and manage SHOCK as needed

Military / National EMT Training - Tactical Combat Causality Care Training Program

https://www.naemt.org/education/TCCC/guidelines_curriculum

Question on anything, feel free to fire away.

My background includes 30 years as a Military & Public Safety Medic.

Rate now:
Thank you for the great data and details

I keep a couple of hemostats in my ifak. Didn't see it mentioned in the thread. Handy for clamping or grabbing all sorts of things, medical or otherwise. Back in the day prior to the newer gen TQs (when we used sticks and rags) I'd have over a dozen clamped inside of my aidbag.

Keep that toothpaste in the tube one way or another.

There is a really well researched thread on this topic here

The OP has a good list. As a retired EMT and NRA certified Instructor I recommend carrying two kits: one for major bleed/GSW as laid out by the OP, another for cuts and scrapes. Adventure Medical sells a pretty good big bleed set up in a sealed durable pouch that fits in a jacket pocket. You’ll need to add occlusive dressing (hy-fin or equivalent), an Israeli dressing, a TK and an airway to make a more complete kit. For the boo boo kit, Adventure Medical also sells
a trail dog first aid kit with good basic set up for about half the price of the same bag for humans...

For major bleeds, do not worry about antiseptic unless you are in a backwoods or natural disaster and looking at many hours+ for medical care. In the boo boo kit include povidone wipes (not alcohol) and triple antibiotic ointment.

From many years of treating injuries on the range and in the field I can say the most commonly used items from my bag have been bandaids, Advil, tweezers, Eye drops and ice pack+ace bandage. The last two are often forgotten but can make the difference between walking out on your own and hoping you’ve got somebody to carry you.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
Also, my local sherrifs department offers a stop the bleed class. Worth checking if it’s available in your area if you haven’t had any training

CAT is the way to go for the tourniquet. It's easy and it works with one hand.

You also need to have at least two of these, both out of the package and ready to go, one in the IFAK and one on the gear somewhere accessible (the IFAK most times isn't easy to reach and if that's the fucked up arm, well, you're gonna have to quick doff to get to it.)

I pulled mine out the other day to check it and realized the nasal tube I have is a flexible one... I have the plastic one somewhere but it'd be a lot harder to fuck someone up with the rubber one. You do need lube to make it work though.

I put some basic shit like betadine swabs, few bandaids and this super slick bandage my doc gave me --it's a hard piece of purple foam you can wet with "clean" water (doesn't have to be sterile) and it swells up and goes over the wound, tape it down. Will keep it from drying out and getting infected for a few days.

IV, sutures, tools, certain drugs, I have this shit in a small bottle that's sterile and will flush and clean wounds --Saf-T came in a sprayer and was nice but this is in a squirt bottle and smaller. Same thing. Doesn't go on my person but I keep it around anyway.

It's easy to overdo, at some point you may as well split it up into a CLS or trauma kit. Fortunately I've got a former Batt. Aid Station NCO and trauma center graduate with CFMB as part of my little group. He'll gladly tote all that shit for me and he can use some of it better than I can.

IFAKs are for common use tools for saving lives that use gross motor skills.
Can be used by anyone with a little training.

Other stuff goes somewhere else.
Clutter in the kit will make stuff harder at the range when you buddy just took a .40 cal to the liver.

I have awesome kits of stuff for a highly trained and well organized Trauma OR team and anything extra or out of place, even in a hospital with A LOT of help, is in the way and an issue.

And yes. Take a class. STB is awesome. I know an asshole who teaches it.... 😆😆

Reactions: Kanwhitetails
Not trauma trained or an operator, just a dumbass civilian with a piece of property that wants to improve odds of an injury making it to a hospital.

Recon Medical Gen 4 tourniquet (CAT clone that isn't TCCC'd but is fairly well reviewed...may replace with a real CAT or SOFTT-W)
4" NAR ETD
48" QuikClot EMS Gauze (or 2x 24" QuikClot Gauze)
HyFin Compact Chest Seals
Titanium Shears
Gloves
"Boo-boo kit" with Band-Aids, small/med gauze pads, tape, Advil, Tylenol, Sudafed, Immodium, antibiotic ointment, burn ointment, antiseptic wipes

Love this thread!

For a thought-provoking, yet sensible discussion of IFAKs/IFASes, check out this discussion by Simon Ritson of PracMed in New Zealand:

It's just under an hour, but well worthwhile, with practical gems throughout.

Simon is ex-NZ Defence Force and private contractor. He knows his stuff, and is delivering the best first aid training in New Zealand.

He also has one of the better thought-out IFAKs on the market, and has some interesting reflections on the research on the limitations of combat gauze, the hazards of carrying things like decomp needles for those who aren't trained in their use, and so on.

Good stuff!

Last edited:
I set up my IFAKs and probably have too much redundant shit in them but as carry is not an issue the bulk/weight has not been a burden.

Just got an email from Chinook and they have a new prepackaged kit called a "Life Kit" basic.

You can choose options regards the TQ you have trained with.

Looks like all you really need for emergency range use in a contained package.

You could probably shop individual items and save a small amount of money but for ease of buying this looks good.

I like that it has a thermal emergency blanket because after getting the bleed stopped shock is going to be the next thing you have to worry about.

Chinook offers discounts also for mil/responders.

This is a great cricothyrotomy kit and it all fits into a small sandwich bag.

Melker kit

Way beyond my training level but the way the country is going might be something you would want to have on hand in supplies.

Course if it gets that bad needing that level of med care may triage you out of the care loop.

Took a Dark Angel Med class this summer. These were under testing at the time....

They looked great for belt carry...more compact than the beasts I currently have on my training gear.

Last edited:
Reactions: DIBBS
This is a great cricothyrotomy kit and it all fits into a small sandwich bag.

Melker kit

Not sure why someone would laugh react to it but ok I guess.
Because mall ninjas cant even CPR or Heimlich correctly.
Let alone take a blade to the thyroid cartilage.

Its an advanced skill.
Takes more than bubba with youtube and a kit.

If someone seriously has the ability to cric someone, they know where to get a kit.

The medical-legal aspect makes me twitch.

If we've moved past concerns of those there are questions you need to ask yourself... what next? Can I fix whatever condition required a cric? How do I take the cric down once that condition has been addressed?

Chinook Med carries and I assume sells openly shit that is way, way beyond my level.

Like this cric kit I would've never be able to use it.

Perhaps it would be like the little on board TCC kit I made for my wife's car.

I made it for her a year or so ago when a lady on a motorcycle got T-boned in front of her and she was useless in providing aid but I credit her with stopping a routing traffic so she didn't get a secondary run over by the useless assholes that drive around here. Someone likely a vet stopped and belted off the woman's leg while people yelled at my wife to get out of the road.

Sadly she has refused to let me show her how to use the blue training specific TQ I bought specifically to train her with.......(sadly neither did my co-workers when I made it known it was in my mailbox for them to fuck with).

Now my instructions to her are "In case of emergency, grab this coyote colored bag.....and hand it to someone that knows what to do but has nothing."

People are the peanut butter and chocolate of life.....fine on their own.....but they only become fantastic like a Reese's when they come together.

In this day and age I could see someone buying stuff outside their skill set only with the understanding they are going to be part of a group in time of need and mayb they can provide that unprepared but knowledgeable person with tools they need because they themselves never figured shit would go sideways......

Sorry had to interrupt my word wall to watch my kid puke.....

So now my wife is supply for the guy with the ability....that In itself has great value. If nothing more she will save some dude from losing a sweet belt.

I have a big box of Chinook gear down stairs that will come in handy today with Pukey boy.

I'm hearing we have no Advil but my Chinook Med packs have all that stuff even the diphedramine (spelling, an antihistamine) that is reported to help with Covid but if nothing else will clear pukes nose. Quercetin, zinc, vitamin C and D will be our Christmas flavors. Maybe, if we are lucky, some will decide not to come to our house with illness there in. Wife will freak out when she sees the big box of Med gear I have been holding out on. I hope I never have to let them know they each have a plate carrier with plates too.

I don't own chest needles or cric kits but I do have bag valve masks and some other shit I could figure how to use in a pinch. If you buy outside your skill level intending to hand it over to someone with skills than I say good deal.

Last edited:
@pmclaine - well said.

There is a reason IFAKs have an NPA and not a combi tube or an iGel airway (easy adjuncts) and not a cric kit.

The field of folks who are really solid and qualified for a field cric is not dissimilar to Div 1 NCAA quarterbacks. Its a pretty small group.
Have seen more than a few botched by "those trained and qualified".

I have seen them done. more than a couple. Trained on them (on dummies and pig trachs) and know how.
I dont carry a cric kit.

Not trying to be a jerk and too much stuff in a bag creates chaos when people are really sick.
Look at the .mil IFAK refill kits. thats key IMO, worth even less than you paid for it!! 😁

Excellent topic. I am a general surgeon and also serve as the Medical Director at a Level III trauma center.

I keep an IFAK in my range bag, have one on my battle belt, and keep a couple in my vehicle. We also keep tourniquets in our trauma bay at the hospital.

The American College of Surgeons launched a new national campaign this past fall titled Stop the Bleeding. The campaign is centered around teaching the public to stop traumatic bleeding with the use of direct pressure and tourniquets. The campaign stems directly from the Boston Marathon bombing where several of the fatalities may have been prevented with a rapidly applied tourniquet. Eventually, you may see a "Bleeding Kit" with gauze and a tourniquet on the wall right next to the AED that you frequently see out in public.

I think this is an excellent idea, and am excited to become an instructor and take this training to schools, 4-H clubs, Lions Clubs, church groups, etc.
I took a stop the bleed course and it was really good. I learned a ton from it

Reactions: Jscb1b