• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

North Carolina Designated Marksman Match at Woodys

Damon W Woodall

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2010
harnett co. NC.
June 25th 2011
Coming soon:July I will be posting my own web site for this match!!!

Look forward to seeing everyone there.
Morning Match:
Designated marksmen match will be a two shooter event.Same format as last match.Both shooters must shoot their own rifle.6 Stages with 6 steel targets per stage at distances 100yds. to 500yds.This is a timed event with 6:00 minutes per stage.
Afternoon Match:
Long range single shooter event.Shooters will engage 3 targets from a 2nd story window.Targets will be metal IDPA targets.1st target will be a 25% target at 300yds.2nd target 45% at 600yds.3rd target will be a full size at 800+ yds.
Shooter has two chances to hit target on their first run.If you miss any target both times you are done.Everyone who hits the 3rd target shoots again.Shooters will shoot same order and given 1 shot per target.If you miss you are done.All shooters who make it to the shoot-out will be shooting the 800+ yd. target then a 12" plate at same distance til. one man is left.
* Designated Marksmen match fee:$35.00 per shooter
* Long Range match fee:$15.00 per shooter(must be registered
for DM Match to shoot LR Match)
*Pre-registeration is required! SPACE IS LIMITED
*Lunch will be served.
*Check-in 7:00 AM
*Location of match:960 Christain Chapel Rd. New Hill
NC.
*Call Damon Woodall @919-422-6465
for more info.

Re: North Carolina Designated Marksman Match at Woodys

I must tell everyone, last time this match was a blast. If you're within 2 hours of the New Hill / Raleigh area I would definitely suggest trying to make this match.

Are you allowing rangefinders to determine target distance prior to hitting the ground and the 6 minuets starting?

Is your dad cooking that killer bbq again?

How many teams are you limiting the match to?

G

Yes sir!That b-q will be served.30 teams max limit.As of now 17 teams have committed.Also remember 1st-3rd leave w/ a gift.

Thanks Again
Damon(Woody)Woodall

EXCELlENT MATCH!!! I have shot both and plan to attend this one for both the morning and afternoon events. One of the best locations in NC for steppin your shots out to 800 yards on 300 plus acres.

Its semi and bolt gun friendly and was billed as Woody's Sniper match in past posting (search the Hide andcheck out the feedback). Stage targets are in nearly a 150 to 180 degree field of view @ varying ranges with 4 to 5 stages running simulataneously.

The BBQ Pig is worth the $$ without shooting so its the best of both worlds

Semepr Fi

Hey to all who have called me. Thanks for the questions.New Hill is south of Apex NC about 12 miles.Match location is about 4 miles south of Shearon Harris Nuclear Plant.Apex would be a great place to spend the night.Lots of hotels off of US 1 w/Lots of great places to eat.This will put you about 15 mins. from match location.

Thanks
Woody

Really looking forward to this match......and the BBQ.
wink.gif

These are always one of my favorite matches of the year and the afternoon indivdual match out to 800 yards will be a great opportunity to stretch it out there.

Would love to make this. Are spectators allowed to watch/learn from folks ? Still pretty new...

Yes but you need to call me 919-422-6465.I need to know your name and also if you are going to eat lunch.

Look forward to seeing everyone too.At this time I have 24 teams committed.Looks like the match will be full in a couple of weeks.Most shooters are going to also shoot the long range match after lunch.Again look forward to seeing everyone!!!

Woody

If you are on the fence I would suggest you come its worth the day and any travel you have to do to get there!

28 teams committed!Its going to be a large match with alot of tuff competition.Look foward to seeing everyone!!!

Woody

I'll be shooting the DM match for the first time this March, it'll be my partners first time out too.

Perhaps some folks can point me to the rules or offer some answers on the following:
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*] You must start out carrying all your gear & ammo for the match, no 3Gun carts or going back to the truck to restock. Correct?[*]What gear is useful during the match? Clearly the basics, heavy ammo, a sub-moa rifle, quality optic, and laser range finder. But how about binoculars? shooting sticks, a particular sling type, a bag, mat, bipod height, etc? [*] For scoring, my partner & I get a total of 6 minutes to each get 6 hits on steel. Each must use their own rifle. Can we switch shooters multiple times? i.e. He shoots the 117yd target, then I do, before switching back to him shooting say the next target out at 200 yards? Would seem to be a strategy to pickup the most points if our 400 & 500 yard game isn't up to par.[*] For the 36 targets, how many rounds do 223 AR guys typically carry for the course?[*]Backpacks the easiest way to drag this stuff around the course?[/list]

Thanks. Looking forward to this match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bp78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll be shooting the DM match for the first time this March, it'll be my partners first time out too.

Perhaps some folks can point me to the rules or offer some answers on the following:
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*] You must start out carrying all your gear & ammo for the match, no 3Gun carts or going back to the truck to restock. Correct?[*]What gear is useful during the match? Clearly the basics, heavy ammo, a sub-moa rifle, quality optic, and laser range finder. But how about binoculars? shooting sticks, a particular sling type, a bag, mat, bipod height, etc? [*] For scoring, my partner & I get a total of 6 minutes to each get 6 hits on steel. Each must use their own rifle. Can we switch shooters multiple times? i.e. He shoots the 117yd target, then I do, before switching back to him shooting say the next target out at 200 yards? Would seem to be a strategy to pickup the most points if our 400 & 500 yard game isn't up to par.[*] For the 36 targets, how many rounds do 223 AR guys typically carry for the course?[*]Backpacks the easiest way to drag this stuff around the course?[/list]

Thanks. Looking forward to this match.
</div></div>

Excellent questions that I'd like to know as I'll be coming down for this match too.

Yes, you have to carry all your gear.You will be given time to range targets and do a range card.6 mins. per stage,Once the first shooter gets up he can not re-engage any of the targets.If he leaves any targets then time is added.Your team mate can not shoot the targets you missed for you.You need to bring bipod,sling are what ever you feel needed to shoot with.Every stage will have a different position required to shoot that stage.You can not shoot one target six times and to get your six hits.(one hit per target per shooter)You will need to know your hold over, or be quick and percise in dailing each target.As far as round count that depends on the shooters
skill level.Its 30 targets total,5 stages w/ 6 plates per.Plates are 8" and 10" targets.

P.S. Remember its preregisted and if you have not done so the match is full.NO WALK UPS WILL BE ALLOWED IN MATCH!!!SORRY
If you have any questions please call for this will be the last reponse to site un til match is over.(919-422-6465)
Thanks
Wooody

Sounds like an incredible amount of fun. Wish I could have made it. I will be in NC in April looking for property. Is this range open for shooting to the public or just private?

Pepper, it is private property. Facilties to shoot matches like this are few and far between. We have been blessed that Woody likes to run these matches.

BP, members of the team that won the last match were both shooting AR platforms. I know for a fact that one of them shot in excess of 120 rounds total which averaged out to 4 shots per target. YMMV. I know that mine will!

Woody puts on a great match. All of the staff that you see helping him run it are all volunteers and are working just for the BBQ dinner later on. And you will see that is pretty good payment after you eat some of it.

It is as 3 Gun says a lucky thing we have acess to Woody's private property for this match. I have shot booth so far and will this one (and hopefully all future ones). MY partner and I came in 2nd the 1st shoot and I only shot 4 extra rounds for the entire match with my 308 boltgun. It would have been similar @ thge 2nd but I had a Dumbshit momement on my elevation adjustment on the last stage.

All this said I would feel comfortable running and AR in teh match or bolt wither 308 or 223. I am currently building a MA-TEN to run in this years 2nd match.

The afternoon indivdual match I would not suggest 223 for as we will be shooting out to 800 yds

These are some of my favorite matches of the year and as everyone keeps saving the BBQ is out of this world!~

Thanks guys. We're only signed up for the DM match, not the later LR match. Outside of ammo and rifle suggestions, how about the other gear. Bipods, pads, backpacks, binoculars, etc. What ancillary gear is worth carrying around for the DM match?

I carry my grab and go pack with my ammo, camel back, magazines and shooting sock. MY shooting partner supplies his range finder and carries similar kit. We both have our bipod rifle mounted and of course have slings. Bino's can be handy for acalling your partners shots if you need to guide them in especailly if you are going the 223 route with a high capictiy rounds down range appproach to target netralization

I hope my shooting partner asked when he called but is there a caliber restriction? We're planning on running a .300wsm and a .300wm.

.300 wsm is ok but .300 wm is a no-no.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Heat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.300 wsm is ok but .300 wm is a no-no. </div></div>

Darn, I guess you can have fun by yourself then.

Spoke with Woody both calibers above work no problem for morning or afternoon match

Totally looking forward to it. My partner and I are both shooting DPMS 308 rifles.

Branson I had nothing to do with that pic being sent to you this morning!

The pic was great especailly with Charles stir the pot commentary. I will have all my parts in for my Mega MA-TEN build by then but will not have it together. Shooting John Boyettes Juniper Swamp match this weekend so I will miss the 3 Gun

Congrats on the last turn out by the way

Gotta work so will miss not only Boyettes match but the DPRC match.

Looks like we are gonna have great weather and hoppefully the wind is our friend or it is gonna be a bear out to 800 yds from a Hide

Sounds like fun, I'll be there.

I need a Partner
My shooting partner had to pull out and head for Japan. (He and I both work for SAMARITAN'S PURSE. He is the VP of Projects and is there to see what the Ministry can do to help with their disaster.) I am still coming to shoot the match but would like to hook up with any Shooter who was unable to get into Woody's match before it filled up. Hoping this note will get to the right person.
You can PM me or e-mail me if interested.

Humphrey Hayes
aka HAMMRR

PS. While I have your attention, please say a Prayer for our Team over there and the people they are there to help.

I agreed, the match was great, the food was excellent, and overall it was a great time. I look forward to doing it again sometime. It was my first match of this type and I learned a lot.

Hammrr I think I shot on your squad. You were squadded with the fireman with the troubled AK rifle, and I was the guy in the red shirt with the Tikka.

-Rob

Thanks a lot for the match, it was a lot of fun! It was very nice to have a match closer to home with fun, doable stages. Great food, too.

We're looking forward to coming back before long.

Wow!! This match is fast becoming a premiere event in the area to test your skills and equipment on numerous shooting stages out to 800+ yards. The level and variety of shooters and equipment at Damon's events are top notch. Thanks to the Army Snipers from Ft. Bragg for sharing their knowledge and letting me look their gear over.
Thanks to Stephen and Lynn for leaving work on Friday afternoon(in Ohio and Kentucky), and driving most of the night to compete at this event. The long drive did not diminish their shooting skills at all!!!
It was a pleasure to meet you Jamie(Red SC). Hope you can shoot in the next match!

Byron
BHE
York,SC

I enjoyed meeting you too, I'm certainly planning to be back next time. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in the skunkworks department.

Excellent match, thanks to all those who ran it.
Were scores going to be published online somewhere? Anyone have the link?
-barry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bp78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Excellent match, thanks to all those who ran it.
Were scores going to be published online somewhere? Anyone have the link?
-barry</div></div>

Woody said he would post the final & complete results on this forum. He's probably totally exhausted today and is due some R&R.

I beleve Woody was goning to post them here and on Carolina Shooters forum

Thanks to all who came out and battled the wind Sat.Its folks like the group of shooters I had that really makes me feel good at the end of a long week of getting ready for this match.It keeps getting better each time.I'm looking forward to the next one!I looking in to having a practice day Friday before the match.That way folks can check zero at those distances.Post me to see what Ya'll think.Also as I said Sat. I'll have scores posted by tomorrow night around 9:eek:o.Thanks Dave and Joel,I really needed the R and R.

Shoot Straight
Woody

Guys, I had a great time and wanted to say thanks to everyone for putting on this match, it was really nice meeting and shooting with you.

Byron, it was awesome talking with you and if you're serious about what we spoke about give us a shout. We looked over the match and it looks awesome.

Thanks again and I hope we get to shoot with you all again soon!

-Lynn

I'd like to echo the previous post that this was an OUTSTANDING match! Truly a unique experience! Looking forward to future matches and some more BBQ! Next time I'll have to allow enough time to stay for the afternoon match, the day ended too soon.

Oh and yes I'd be in favor for a Friday range day prior to the match to check zero and confirm DOPE.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, I had a great time and wanted to say thanks to everyone for putting on this match, it was really nice meeting and shooting with you.

Byron, it was awesome talking with you and if you're serious about what we spoke about give us a shout. We looked over the match and it looks awesome.

Thanks again and I hope we get to shoot with you all again soon!

-Lynn </div></div>

Agreed 100%. Had a great time. The match ran very smoothly, not much down time in the morning match which is awesome. Thanks again Woody. Btw, I forgot to pick up an envelope before I left.

I think a "practice day" is acceptable as long as they are not allowed to go through the same course of fire as the match. It does give an unfair advantage to the ones that know the layout and already have range cards made up the day of the match. I think this added stress before you shoot is what made your match fun and interesting otherwise its just like going to the range and shooting Plus, it would taking away from the "realness" of engaging 6 enemy targets on the fly. Just my 2 cents.

Stephen