• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

North Carolina Designated Marksman Match at Woodys

Re: North Carolina Designated Marksman Match at Woodys

Woody had a great time. This is the 3rd shoot I have attended at Woody's farm. I can say the level of shooters/marksman has increased greatly. Thanks to the guys from the 3rd group soctic school. Learned alot. Woody all for a train up day on Friday. It would make it alot moore interesting if you scored the targets and allowed only to shots for each. Had a great time the food was great,with thanks to Woody's father. Looking forward to the June shoot. Will post pic's later have several of stage 1# and stage 3#and 4# .
Copyofjohnspics023.jpg

STAGE 2#
Copyofjohnspics022.jpg

STAGE 4#
Copyofjohnspics028.jpg

STAGE 1#
johnspics038.jpg

WOODY'S DAD THE MASTER CHEF ON LEFT
johnspics034.jpg

STAGE 4#
johnspics031.jpg

A FEW STICKS
johnspics026.jpg

STAGE 4#
johnspics030.jpg

STAGE 3# SHOT OUT OF THE TRUCK BED
Copyofjohnspics024.jpg

STAGE 3# FEILD
johnspics025.jpg

THANKS WOODY,ENJOY THE PIC'S

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Heat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think a "practice day" is acceptable as long as they are not allowed to go through the same course of fire as the match. It does give an unfair advantage to the ones that know the layout and already have range cards made up the day of the match. I think this added stress before you shoot is what made your match fun and interesting otherwise its just like going to the range and shooting Plus, it would taking away from the "realness" of engaging 6 enemy targets on the fly. Just my 2 cents.

Stephen </div></div>

Heat I can't speak 100% for Woody but I believe his intention is to allow guys to come in on Fri and shoot know distance targets (100,200,300,400,500) to confirm zero and DOPE. He has two concrete benches and about 500-550yds to play with in the one field. Standing at Stage 2 the benches are in the woodline 250-300yds to your right. Woody was gracious enough to do a similar range day for those of us shooting FB3G 2010. I highly doubt there would be any sort of "practice stage". Hope that helps clarify and alleviates any concerns.

Ahh I see. Makes good sense since some guys don't have access to anything over 200 yards. I just dont like seeing tactical rifle matches essentially turning into "long range shooting match." To be honest, I really like having UKD targets just because it simulates a more realistic senario of coming up on an enemy patrol and having to engage the bad guys on the fly. Again, I don't mean anything negative by my comments, just sharing my thoughts. I had a great time this Saturday.

Hey Folks!Great to see all the comments.I just want to clear up the pratice day thing.No one will be allowed to see or shoot at the targets shot in the match.The morning match will never be a tack driving event.That's not what I intended it to be and never will be.The format is exactly what designed markmens need to do.Take out the threat if you have to dump a full mag.or one round,get the job done and keep the heat off your buddies.The pratice day gives everyone the chance to shoot out to 500 plus and ,also get ready for the long range match.
As I said in the safty briefing this is the 3rd match that I have put on.I promise you the next one will be better than the last.I have someone working on a program where I will be able to print results at lunch,break it down by stages,each shooters seperate time and the rounds each shooter fired.
More pics will be up this week.(thanks sigtwo or yours)

Thanks Again
Woody

Time W/penatlies

Steve Stover
Lynn Houck 15:06

Ed Paradise
Barry Evans 22:07

TK Martindill
Pat Parker 22:09

Jamie Ogburn
Randy Boyce 22:23

Chance Giannelli
Gabe Kessay 26:01

Garrett Howell
Joel Penegraph 27:08

Tony Spence
John Herath 29:03

Jeff Gregg
Joel Ammons 29:08

Kevin Cates
Dave Piatt 33:03

Dave Holifield
Russ Bell 36:03

Jamie Stokely
Steve Jones 36:07

Justin Napp
Justin Gerner 36:10

Tom McCloskey
Rob Noel 37:23

Ron Bakis
Steve Wall 38:26

Dave Branson
Mike Barone 39:07

Keaton Freidman
Terry Blogg 42:55

Tom Cobb
Christopher Houser 48:08

Burt Atkinson
Derek Atkinson 50:40

Jim Landmark
George Barnes 54:17

Chad Resnick
Jay Otte 57:07

Randall Harris
Andy Freeman 58:05

John Smith
Mark Cantin 71:40

Humphrey Hayes
Phil Hollbrook 78:40

Steve Hawkins
Kevin Thompson 82:00

Jim White
Tim Haga 88:00

James Fowler
Morris Bray 105:01

Steve Garaganus
Shawn ? 110:00

Congrats, Steve and Lynn. Y'all were SMOKING. I knew you were beating us, but you didn't have to hurt our feelings too, you just walked away from everyone. Fine shooting!

Thanks man we had a good day. We both cleaned it so we didn't have any penalties and I *think* our times were somewhere around this(don't hold me to this).
Stage 1 2:3x
Stage 2 low 2:xx
Stage 3 high 3:xx
Stage 4 4:02
Stage 5 low 2:xx

Hope to see you guys again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats, Steve and Lynn. Y'all were SMOKING. I knew you were beating us, but you didn't have to hurt our feelings too, you just walked away from everyone. Fine shooting! </div></div>

Thanks man! We didn't know how we were doing so we just kept pushing until it was over.

-Lynn

Great match Woody. I had fun even with all the malfs. I'll definitely have it together for June.

(Can't believe I didn't come in last. I'm sure Hammrr was ready to strangle me.
grin.gif
)

No way man!Hammer is a Blessed Man.The smile on his face when he found out he had a partner would have made a great picture.Let me know if you need some input on a rifle. I have a few you can shoot before making a purchase.I'm looking forward to this sat.I going to shoot my match w/ garrett.I hope the wind is up to it too.I'm like triple X I live for this ----!

Thanks Phil you are a three timer at my match!
WOODY

Some more photos to add. If anyone doesn't want their mug online I'll pull the photo.
255t4qe.jpg

2ptuet0.jpg

9uyc7d.jpg

1zykfip.jpg

16k6mbl.jpg

der492.jpg

25gb689.jpg

9k3qde.jpg

1zo7x4x.jpg

20glglt.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did the winners run Gas or Bolt? Cal? </div></div>

We ran bolt guns. I used my .300wm and my buddy used his .300wsm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bp78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll be shooting the DM match for the first time....Perhaps some folks can point me to the rules or offer some answers on the following...
</div></div>
I'll make no claims to being particularly proficient at this game so take the answers below at your own peril. Just wanted to answer my own earlier questions in case it benefits anyone else in the future.
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Yes, Drag all your gear with you. It's not a lot of walking but you'll be away from your vehicle. Kit up as a team, no need for duplicates of some gear like binos, notebooks, rear bag, backpacks etc. [*] Yardages were given in stage briefing, no range finder needed.[*]Gear we'll bring next time:<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*] 24" sub-moa AR, 69 - 77 gr match ammo, range card[*] 10x or higher optic, caps (lots of dust), lens wipe[*] Sling, bipod, and rear sock/bag.[*] Folding stool, 10x binoculars, and monopod for spotting hits, corrections.[*] Backpack for mags, ammo, just enough water & snack to make it to the BBQ at 1pm'ish. [/list][*] Since me & my partner were both using the same ammo, we stuck to doing one holdover & windage chart for each stage. Called in terms of mils. Watched a lot of other teams call yardages then dial it in on the optic for each target. Couldn't really tell what some other teams were doing. Mil holdovers with mil-based reticles will be what we stick with next time.[*] I think we dropped around 18 to 26 rounds per stage each. The wind called for a lot of windage corrections and just luck with the gusts. Probably 120 rounds per shooter for the .223 AR approach.[*] 200 yard zero seemed common. worked well for us.[*]Backpacks were indeed the easiest way to drag this stuff around.[*] Bring a camera, folks were camera friendly and everyone likes AAR photos.[/list]

Woody, great job with the match. The food and the shooting was top notch.

Who knew that bu%4shi!!ng with a bunch of fellow shooters one day would lead to a match with 27 teams in 6 months? And it seems as though it could grow quite a bit more.

For anyone who hasn't shot this before, I'd highly recommend it.

Bring whatever you got, just know your zero and holdover.

I look forward to doing it again. Regards,

G

Thanks again Woody for a great time. Third time there and I've learned something each time. The wind was a great factor this go round. Plus is always helps to compare notes with others.

And if anyone happened to find my duty knife, feel free to contact me offline.

Tim

Spoke with RPD308/tim today about the loss of his knife. Tim said he had reached a stage of deep depression about the loss of his knife. He said he finds his self wondering at times about is location and how it must feel alone with out its owner. Please keep tim in your thoughts!!!!

Thanks for the special thoughts and deep concern. My pocket misses its friend......

Travis

You may want to reach out to Woody for the details but there are 3 more matches this year 6/4/11, 9/24/11 and 12/3/11. I have shot all 3 and these are by far some of my favorite matches all year long and I bet a bunch of the folks on here would likely agree

Take Care

Next Match Has Been Changed to June the 25th.Sorry for the change.I will be calling everyone the weekend of the 21st thru the 24th of April to make sure they get the word.

Yes this is a team event type comp. But we always have someone that needs a partner to shoot with. You might want to contact woody he is the go to person for information and dates and times. Think his
number is in the post here, Good luck

The 2 man team actually makes the match more fun. I highly recommend either taking someone into shooting with you are asking Woody if any one needs a partner. These are the best matches I do all year

Understood. I shoot alone most of the time and have nobody with the skill level or gear to shoot this type of set up with me. I would expect shooting with an unknown partner is less than ideal. That's the reason for my question. I was just wondering if you could show up as an individual and shoot the course.....don't care about having a partner to fit into the scoring....just to shoot something different from the stuff I have set up around the house/farm.

Give Woody a call, give him your contact info, and get on the standby list. Things often come up in real life and both members of a team may not be able to make the match. It's always nice to be able to find a sub last minute. I know it's happened before and I'm sure it will again. Don't worry about being competitive. This is a super fun match and even if you only hit a few targets the BBQ lunch will help ease your pain and suffering.
grin.gif

Re: North Carolina Designated Marksman Match at Wo

I shoot distance fairly often but I would not be competitve with anybody I could bring to shoot as a partner. Guys I hunt with dont know a mil from a meal and have no gear needed to play the game or they are BR only shooters. That is why I thought about being able to shoot as an individual for my own personal scores and wouldn't care as much about the team competition. Mainly to shoot new stuff, meeting some folks and having somebody besides the cows to tell that I just hit that steel at UKD.....or that damn, the wind call is whipping me today. Thanks for the replies, I'll get in touch with Woody.

JUNE 25th 2011
Morning Match:
Designated marksmen match will be a two shooter event.Same format as last match.Both shooters must shoot their own rifle.6 Stages with 6 steel targets per stage at distances 100yds. to 500yds.This is a timed event with 6:00 minutes per stage.
Afternoon Match:
Long range single shooter event.Shooters will engage 3 targets from a 2nd story window.Targets will be metal IDPA targets.1st target will be a 25% target at 300yds.2nd target 45% at 600yds.3rd target will be a full size at 800+ yds.
Shooter has two chances to hit target on their first run.If you miss any target both times you are done.Everyone who hits the 3rd target shoots again.Shooters will shoot same order and given 1 shot per target.If you miss you are done.All shooters who make it to the shoot-out will be shooting the 800+ yd. target then a 12" plate at same distance til. one man is left.
* Designated Marksmen match fee:$35.00 per shooter
* Long Range match fee:$15.00 per shooter(must be registered
for DM Match to shoot LR Match)
*Pre-registeration is required! SPACE IS LIMITED
*Lunch will be served.
*Check-in 7:00 AM
*Location of match:960 Christain Chapel Rd. New Hill
NC.
*Call Damon Woodall @919-422-6465
for more info.

Can't wait for this one!!!! The DMR portion should be quite challenging from what I hear. (?)
I think Damon has some nice prizes and custom trophies lined up as well. If you are in NC or SC (or anywhere) you should consider shooting these matches to test your skills and equipment. The winners from the spring match were shooters from Ohio and Kentucky!! They shot extremely well..

This match will become a premiere shooting event on the East Coast.

We enjoy the events and always learn something new. The BBQ lunch is a premiere event as well.........

Byron
BHE
York,SC

Damon,

Nice talking with you. Our info & payment will go out today!

Look forward to it.

Any open slots left for June?

Getting close to time for a kick ass match. I am really looking forward to taking the edge off my new MA-TEN build at the match

This match is continuing to get better and promises to be one of the best on the East Coast

Look forward to seeing you all there.

Only 2 more weeks!!!!!! Look forward to seeing you guys there

Give Woody a call (Damon Woodall @919-422-6465 ) he has his tally running. Its a great match and would be worth the ride

hey guys, Im kind of new to the long range shooting sport, have been doing the tactical 22lr shoot in conover, and love it. I have a fairly good shooting ar15. Is the 223 round ok for this match , how about the 22-250, any bullet fps restrictions. thanks

Woody,

It was a pleasure meeting you at the Bradley fundraiser yesterday. I hope I can make it to your next shoot, and find a partner to come with.

Jon