• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up North Carolina

Lil'Joe

Private
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2004
Occupied State of NC
Did a quick search, so forgive me if I missed a previous posting, but I just moved recently into the Raleigh/Durham, NC area, and looking for a shooter friendly range to shoot on.

Perhaps I am somewhat spoiled moving here from Houston, but I find the availability of places (and the ranges themselves)to shot abysmal at best. I have attempted to shot at several of the local ranges and have discovered that unless you pay anything from about $175 to $600 for an annual membership (plus a minimum of $10 - $15 each time you shoot), you might get by with only waiting 2+ hours to get on a lane. At one particular range, Eagle 1, I waited 2 1/2 hours to get in to shoot and when I finally got to a firing station found that the range was allowing one of their gold card (annual) members to take up 3 of their lanes to teach a class on a Saturday afternoon. Despite the issue that it greatly reduces the active lanes they are renting, I suspect that it decreases their income. I know it fosters no good will. The next and last time I went to Eagle 1, I called ahead was told that there was about a 15 - 20 minute wait, drove 20 miles and when I got there 25 minutes later, was told that there was a 2-hour wait.

"AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!"

Enough venting, whining and ragging on a single range, the area as a whole does not seem very shooter friendly, the ranges owners have a nest on the ground and discourage shooters other than annual members; and don't even get me started on living in Durham city proper or Durham County.

"Whew that feels better!"

Any recommendations on where to shoot?

Re: North Carolina

Welcome to NC. You aren't going to find public land around here to shoot. Eagle 1 does generally suck. You either have to go far east NC or far West NC to find much distance other than Butner. There is a lot of pistol shooting in the area but rifles, not so much. You are probably going to have to join a club if you want to shoot regularly. Here are some places to check out.

http://dprc.org/

http://www.dcwc.info/about.php

http://www.gloryroad.net/~idpa/

Drakes Landing in Angier, NC. Not too far and there is lots to do with all your weapons.

Durham Pistol Rifle Club in Haw River is an excellent facility with its only real limiting factor being range, 300yds. It is a members only facility and since the membership cap was just increased and filled last year, I do no believe they are accepting new members at this time. You can add your name to the waiting list and as members choose not to renew the list is called.

I try and get out there most Sundays and guests are welcome so feel free to shoot me a PM if you ever want to come along.

NC seems to really suck for outdoor shooting. Indoor ranges suck but it's almost all there is around here. Locally to me there is the RCWA near Salisbury but they want a 600 dollar initiation fee, two cosigners, a background check and monthly meetings to be a member. It has some nice pistol bays and rifle range to 300 yards.

Efirds is the only other place I can find and it's much less money, 175 per year, but only has one pistol bay and 100 yard rifle.

I'd love to hear about any other ranges in NC as well.

The reason there arent more rifle ranges in NC is that folks are too cheap to help get one built. Land aint cheap, moving dirt aint cheap, keeping the doors open and taxes paid aint cheap.

If one were to go out and shoot competitively, rather than just slinging lead all over the place, there are plenty of opportunities to shoot in NC. Actually, you can shoot a local HP match almost every weekend, year round. Travel to Butner and you can stretch things out to 1,000 yards...and have a blast doing so, and cheaply, I might add.

Frankly, I think RWCA is too cheap for what they offer. Should be glad its only $600 to join and $125 per year.

Of course, one can always open their own range, be it private or public.......just have one hell of a bankroll behind ya! :)

Out east near wilmington we've got buccaneer gun club. 500yd rifle, 6 skeet ranges, 1 trap, and 1 5-stand, as well as IDPA pistol ranges and a wild west cowboy range. People are friendly and its only 250 a year. Im a member, you could pm me if you want to take a trip and visit one day.

there is tigerswan near fayetteville if you get down this way or are in the area already. I have not been to there range yet but planning on this weekend or next. will let you guys know what they have and what i think about it.

We've got a 600yd range here in town. It is private so you'll need an invite to shoot. Nice place with 100, 200, and 600 yd rifle lines. 50yd rimfire rifle and silhouette too. There is also some shotgun and pistol stuff if that's your thing.

http://piedmontgunclub.com/club/

If you're ever down this way, give me a shout. I'm a member and don't get out there as much as I should.

CHRIS

I'm new to the Wilmington area and am chomping at the bit to find a 100 yard range to confirm my rifles zeroes weren't compromised during my move. Any help would be gratly appreciated

Range 37 in Bunnlevel just north of bragg is greatt. 10 100yd lanes 10 25yd lanes, shoot house, and a 360* ar range. Also they have a 400 and 800 yd bubba range offsite up the road a bit. Website is 37psr.com

This is vary disappointing as I'm moving to the Charlotte area soon from the best country in the world...Texas. I guess ill be looking for property to buy soon.

I posted a thread here about western nc. I have a 400yd range, a 200 in my yard, and a place to lease with 800+. Lookin for anyone close to asheville/spruce pine to help team up and make a public/private range.

what you looking for??? im in wilkes co... can supply some steel targets... a maybe some cash... we are also looking to build a 1000 yrd range on our hunting lease...