• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

North Dallas?

Re: North Dallas?

your gonna rile up the okies by referring to there homeland as N. Dallas!

Dunno, but I'd sure like to know about it if there is one. For that matter, is there a list of rifle ranges near Dallas? I need to do some load development and about the closest place is Garland Shooting Range, but I really don't care for it for several reasons. Grand Prairie Gun Club looks nice, but it's private and no openings.

I just got notified about this place. Might be what your are looking for:

Finally, a range worth going to in the DFW area. 500 Meter max distance on the range just like we had in the Corps. My fellow marksman, we need to hit this up soon! I'll definitely be taking my FNAR out there to prove its capabilities and mine.

Top Gun Shooting Club 500 yd range opened north of McKinney
http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=38745

Top Gun Shooting Club 500 yd range opened north of McKinney. Website is not up yet. Spread the word! If you know LEOs, Clubs, Iron Sights, 1800s rifles, Steel Target shooters and anyone else... this is the closest 500 yard range to DFW area. =====527 P R 462 Leonard, TX 75452 (23 miles from McKinney). 214-799-3357 Google map link and GPS coordinates below.=====open Thurs, Fri and Sat 9am to Darkopen Sun 1pm to Dark =====I went out on Friday, Oct 8th, the day after it opened. 100, 200, 300, 400 and 500. It is great! New members need to hit 8" steel plate at 200 before you can go to 300 and then hit 8" steel to go to 400 out to 500. FMJ allowed! No steel core or tracers. Again, FMJ allowed! Iron Sights allowed (Terry, the owner loves 1800s rifles and iron sights)> Largest rifle they will allow is a .416 magCurrently is rifle only. Owner wants to go with pistol and cowboy action shooting (something he does) but needs to plow current revenue back into the range. =====$20 a trip with no membership and $15 a trip with a membership which is $40 a year

Sweet! Finally I don't have to drive for a couple hours to someones land! And FMJ allowed! Finally someone with sense! Gonna have to try it out when I get back. I guess this means I'm gonna have to invest in better glass............ For those of you not wanting to drive that far, Gibson's Outpost allows FMJ and has a range to 200. If you can stand the son, then it's a pretty decent place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the only good thing to come out of Texas is I-35 </div></div>

Why doesn't Texas float off into the Gulf of Mexico?

Because Oklahoma sucks.

I went there today. Terry, the owner, is a really nice guy; who is really excited about the range. He has some really good ideas. However, being a new business he is starting small. The more people who join will allow him to grow an expand his ranges. The range goes out to 500 yards with steel plates and you can post targets as well. If you get a chance to go this month would be the best as he is offering a $40 membership fee for the end of this year and for all of next year too. In November the membership fee will go up to $100. So, go check it out.

Jamie

I went out there yesterday also. The place has a lot of potential. I talked to Terry about holding a shoot like I had at Tiger Valley and it may happen. Give the guy a chance and go there and shoot help him out. I will and some of the guys I shoot with will.

Ill be goin out there next tuesday or wednesday. Lookin forward to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill be goin out there next tuesday or wednesday. Lookin forward to it. </div></div>

You should check out his website for hours. They are open Thursday-Sunday.

oh crap, thanks for the headsup. Maybe in a couple weeks then.

Are there actual benches for doing bench work? It looks like there are just tables, but it's tough to tel from the pics.

Thank God!
I live with in a 30 min drive from there and have been looking for a long distance shooting range close by for years.
Can/t wait to take the f&n out there and do some real shootin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: emmagee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are there actual benches for doing bench work? It looks like there are just tables, but it's tough to tel from the pics. </div></div>

just tables right now. Will be getting benches later, still a work in progress. If your not doing bench stuff you can shoot in the prone.

Jamie

i know a lot of people are all about North of Dallas, but the best ranges i have found South of Dallas. Texas Defensive Shooting Academy is nice. they have a shoot house, lots of ranges, and even a sniper tower i heard they are currently putting in a rail to put cars on so you can shoot at a moving vehicle. they also they allow any fully auto weapons you have and .50 BMG's. i usually make the time to go down to Tac Pro thoe it would be way too far for a lot of people in Dallas area. i think but that range is stocked with very friendly, and very competent people

my recommendations are always

TDSA
and Tac Pro

Made a trip out there today.
Range is in a very basic form right now but after talking to Terry he has some good plans for the range if he gits enough members.
Was grouping around 5" at the 500 yd steel.
All in all a fun close place to shoot I hope it really takes off.

Was out there today as well. Terry was a super nice guy and the range is gonna be great once he gets a few more pieces of steel.

He's talking about piccking up some reactive steel as well.

If you are able to make a day of it for shooting, I'd say TacPro is worth the trip.

It's about 2.5 hours from most points in Dallas or the suburbs to the north. If you leave early in the morning you can put in a nice day of shooting

One point however is always call ahead to make sure the range is open as they have a habit of closing the range if there was any rain and that gets old fast.

The main reason I like going there is that usually there is not many people there and you can get a lot of good shooting in without being bothered by all the people who came to sight in their hunting rifle or just want to shoot their new AR15 then go change targets every 10 minutes.

They have a setup with 100 yards, 200 yards right beside it, then another range that goes 300 yards, to 500 yards and then 1000 yards (if you have taken the test). With the possibility of doing just over 1200 yards if you can get it worked out in advance etc.

That being said, my long term goal is to go buy 30 to 50 acres not to far away and then use that as my shooting place.

To me the draw is a 20 min drive from house.
A plus is the Terry is a cool guy that treats his members like gold.

SRT

are you gonna head out there next thursday?

I'm plannin on makin the tripp.

I plan on being out there fri early.
Just look for the dude in the black super duty stop by and say hi.