• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Northwest Action Works

Fearnowind

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2013
Northern California
Like a lot of other guys, I placed an order for some actions with Northwest Action Works in April. Expected delivery date was August. Haven't heard from them. They don't respond to emails, trying to connec with their web site (nwaw-1) produces an error message (The connection has timed out) and I can't find a telephone number. Anyone else paddling this canoe?

Fearnowind or others interested,

I just received an email yesterday from Mason Waters NWAW. His email eluded that Remington promised action and that 120 days delivery time was minimum and that they (NWAW) need to stop calling and be patient. I have'nt had any reason not to believe him and have only received the utmost courtesy regarding there service. I apologize for speaking on someone elses behalf or putting information out about someone elses business, but I do believe that it is still on the up and up. Maybe I am looking at a glass half full but even when I first came accross this deal... I thought that the August timing sounds more like a middle September to late September. If you know something other.... please advise.

I just got an e-mail from them Sunday about the action I recently ordered. They also returned a website entered message the week before when inquiring about the order. I do know they are busy completing several builds and it is approaching hunting season. They rarely answer the phone. I lucked up one day and called just as Evan was headed to the mill to begin working.

Not sure if any of this info helps, but it may ease your mind a bit knowing they are communicating and taking more work. Of course they quoted me 17-20 weeks which is understandable given their recent work load and the season.

I would just leave several messages..."open mouth gets fed."

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the encouraging news. I did finally get their web site to open up and, as has been suggested, will try to be patient.
I do wish that, at or near the 120 day mark, someone at the company would have sent out an email notice or posted a notice on their web site (which would have been the easiest thing to do) to ease the minds of those of use who are waiting like a kid waits for Santa at Christmas. :rolleyes:

Not even a month has passed and its hard not to think of the NWAW barreled action I ordered to bed bedded there. I tried to take my mind off of it by tinkering with my .308 and buying a 17 HMR to play with, but really anticipating the delivery of this one. Should be around Christmas. Waiting on Santa will be tough this year...

Hopefully this is not a threadjack but I have been thinking of putting an order in with them this winter and have had good luck with emails from them so far. Has anyone got their hands on one of their finished ramrod actions yet? If so would you mind sharing your thoughts and some pics to help me make up my mind. If so please PM with any info you have. Thanks!

If you looked at pictures of a Defiance Deviant, it would look VERY similar...

Great guys out there at NWAW. I ended up not having any work done by them, but based on the discussions I have had via email while working some stuff out for a build I am doing, they are on a very short list of smiths that I would let touch my rifles.

Last edited:
I ordered 9/2013 and was just told this week that it would be expected at the end of February (2/1014). I hope this accurate. Looking forward to coyote hunting...

I would like to know how your dealings with NWAW worked out . There is very little info out about them. Thanks
Not even a month has passed and its hard not to think of the NWAW barreled action I ordered to bed bedded there. I tried to take my mind off of it by tinkering with my .308 and buying a 17 HMR to play with, but really anticipating the delivery of this one. Should be around Christmas. Waiting on Santa will be tough this year...

We have some orders in place with Remington as well, never seen a bigger mess of bumbling goobers and misinformation in my life. NWAW has no control of the delivery of these actions, and can only represent what the mfg has represented. Lots of people repetitively looking for things can become ovewhelming (especially when theres no news or unreliable news), but there's always a way to convey pertinent information. NWAW can t do anything until they get actions and customers calling over and over just make things worse. Take a minute to see both sides of the story

Funny you asked. I just e-mailed Mason yesterday. I haven't heard back from him yet. I'll let you know what he says when I hear from him.

Build was delivered last week. Fit and finish was excellent. I originally requested 5R for a .22 bore. The rifle came as 6R standard groove. It was a communication lapse on the part of NWAW as Benchmark does not offer 5R in 22 cal. for performance reasons. They offered heavy apology for the failed communication.
Got about 30 rounds down range with factory loads, so it's too early to comment on absolute performance, but it holds under 3/4 MOA with factory ammo and demonstrates 1/2 and better for some strings. My only concern I have voiced to Benchmark is the barrel held a significant amount of copper after somewhat of a break-in. I'm no barrel expert, but the barrel was holding more copper at 20 rounds than I see from a couple of factory barrels with 400+ rounds. I will continue to put rounds through it and monitor as suggested by Benchmark. If the holding of copper continues I will ship it back for inspection also suggested by Benchmark. They said they would cover shipping which is honorable (one way I assume pending results of the inspection).
All in all I am still undecided as to forming an opinion of the build. I need more time to see the true state of this guns performance. I'll be honest to say I expected a 1/2 MOA or better gun (although not guarantee is given).

Build was delivered last week. Fit and finish was excellent. I originally requested 5R for a .22 bore. The rifle came as 6R standard groove. It was a communication lapse on the part of NWAW as Benchmark does not offer 5R in 22 cal. for performance reasons. They offered heavy apology for the failed communication.
Got about 30 rounds down range with factory loads, so it's too early to comment on absolute performance, but it holds under 3/4 MOA with factory ammo and demonstrates 1/2 and better for some strings. My only concern I have voiced to Benchmark is the barrel held a significant amount of copper after somewhat of a break-in. I'm no barrel expert, but the barrel was holding more copper at 20 rounds than I see from a couple of factory barrels with 400+ rounds. I will continue to put rounds through it and monitor as suggested by Benchmark. If the holding of copper continues I will ship it back for inspection also suggested by Benchmark. They said they would cover shipping which is honorable (one way I assume pending results of the inspection).
All in all I am still undecided as to forming an opinion of the build. I need more time to see the true state of this guns performance. I'll be honest to say I expected a 1/2 MOA or better gun (although not guarantee is given).

Having shot Benchmark barrels. I have found them to break in harder than others. I am sure you did to shoot clean method. Where I may have only did 3-6 one shot cleans, I have went 8-10 with a benchmark. After that they cleaned up just like any other. I have also seen a pick up in speed around the 150-200 rounds in the past. 100-150 FPS.

Thanks for the tip. I will be shooting again this weekend to see how it fairs on copper. Yes. Shoot and clean to see where I end up. I would like to see a touch more accuracy even from factory ammo (I have a selection to test) once the copper subsides. As I mentioned before, I will give it a fair go before passing judgement.

Evan and Mason have my .308 squaring the action and re threading the barrel better for a gem tech. Talk to them weekly. Awesome young men trying had to put a great product out to people who want great kit.

Why does 5R rifling cause accuracy issues in small calibers?

FWIW my buddy had a 6.5 CM built by them with a 24" Benchmark. It was not extremely accurate at first, but after 100 rounds or so, the groups continued to tighten up. It still seems to get more accurate every time we take it out and I don't believe he has cleaned the bore yet, and I don't think he will until accuracy falls off. He has about 200-250 rounds down the tube now.

Why does 5R rifling cause accuracy issues in small calibers?

I have no idea. You would have to ask Benchmark. Mason and Evan told me that and Chris at Benchmark confirmed. I assume they would know since they started with competition barrels in 22 caliber.

FWIW my buddy had a 6.5 CM built by them with a 24" Benchmark. It was not extremely accurate at first, but after 100 rounds or so, the groups continued to tighten up. It still seems to get more accurate every time we take it out and I don't believe he has cleaned the bore yet, and I don't think he will until accuracy falls off. He has about 200-250 rounds down the tube now.

I cleaned all the copper out and took it out again today. Shot 2 cleaned carbon/cleaned copper, shot 3 cleaned carbon/cleaned copper. The third string was 5 shots in a ragged hole covered by a dime. Shot about 15 more out to 300. Accuracy is there for me. Cleaned for carbon only and inspected. Shows normal copper on the lands. Maybe a touch more than typically see on my larger calibers, but my mind is at ease some since it shot so well from a clean bore. No "greasers" per say.
I think it seems better as shots are fired. I'm pleased with the accuracy and precision it demonstrated today. I don't plan to clean for copper from here and monitor as more rounds are fired. Like I mentioned before, I will be patient before calling foul. Things are definitely looking up as compared to my first trip out. I was loving it today!

I have no idea. You would have to ask Benchmark. Mason and Evan told me that and Chris at Benchmark confirmed. I assume they would know since they started with competition barrels in 22 caliber.

I have been told the same thing by another barrel maker....

Wonder why?

Wanted to tell you about my rifle I just got back from NorthWest Rifle Actions in Portland Oregon.

My 308 is a Remington with a Kriegerr, a Schmidt and bender, and stated life with a 27 inch barrel. At Christmas time I had the pleasure of contacting Mason and Evan via their website. Both are from Klamath Falls and happened to be coming to town , and they actually stopped by and picked up my rifle.

The smith that originally built this gun was a new gunsmith, and frankly I made a HUGE mistake hiring him. Anyway my .308 got back from NWA and it was several inches shorter then when sent. I knew this would be the case, the rifle just looked odd to me. Anyway the boys literally had to cut the grunion/chamber off and re-do the complete chamber. Also squared it, added a new lug, and a TPD bolt and rethreaded the barrel end for the can.

long story shot, at the range yesterday, at 100y to re-learn the rifle, my first group was ok. Subsequent groups tightens up to very very nice groups well below sub MOA. Walked across the Pitt to the 500y range dialed in 10MOA and had hits every shot. Wind was swirling and several canyons converge around the 500y target. Not to shabby for me.

next up the 900y target. Shot ten rounds, again in the wind, only got two hits. Actually I think I had one or two more, but I was hitting the rubber tire holding the metal targets. But I'll call them no hits.

Evan and Mason at NorthWest Actions did a fantastic job of salvaging my rifle. I was Leary of the 22.5 inch barrel, as I'm older and felt the short barrel thing was a marketing ploy. I have not crono-Ed the ammo again, that will be next week.

Thank you Evan and Mason great work, my .243 is on the way.

My buddy got his 6.5 Creedmoor on a trued Remington 700 action with a Benchmark barrel in a Manners stock. He got it from NWAW about 5 or 6 months ago. At first the gun was about an inch but as the barrel fouled and the components broke in, this is what it shoots like now. This is a 10 shot group rapid fired. The group measured about .45". I did a 5 shot group and it was much smaller obviously.

WP_20140511_019.jpg

Edit: FWIW, there are over 400 rounds through this barrel and it has never been cleaned, ever.

Last edited: