• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Nosler Ballistic Tip vs. A-MAX 308 Win

NamHunter

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2014
I'm looking to develop a load for my new 308 Win and would like a bullet which is as accurate as the SMK AND which I can use for hunting when the occasion arises.

I'm looking to push a 150 -155gr bullet at 2900- 3000 fts and have narrowed my choice down to two potential bullets:

1) Hornady A-Max
2) Nosler Ballistic Tip

Questions:
1) Which one is more accurate?
2) Which one will proof to have fewer fliers?

3)Will any of them come close to the accuracy of the SMK (which is no good for hunting and thus not on the short-list)

Any advise appreciated

Sorry to say, but the only way you will know the answer to these questions is to try them all in your rifle. Every rifle is different. For example, my .308 is a Savage 10FP. My buddy has the exact same rifle. His shoots the SMK better than mine. For my rifle, the A-Max will shoot better than the SMK, all day long. You just don't know until you try them.

Nosler Ballistic Tip vs. A-MAX 308 Win

What rifle, barrel length & twist? Here is a Nosler Ballistic Tip that works well with my particular rifle. 165s on top, 168s below.

4u5ubu9u.jpg

I didn't develope this load myself - I loaded it based on a thread here by someone with the same rifle. The pics are from my very first time out with my new rifle and the load I found here.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I bought the Lothar Walther palma select match to be fitted on my Rem 700 action. Twist is 1:13.

Accuracy wise I get a shade less than 0.5 moa on all three of them (at different weights) with no loading 'effort' so don't sweat it. Tighter than that - I have no knowledge.

I was an advocate of the Amax as a dual hunting target round. Not any more. Stuff smaller than Red deer sure, but I had a bullet fail and that is not going to happen again. Nosler Accubond and BT have now replaced Amax for hunting. Less meat damage as well. The last carcass with Amax was ridiculous. Accubond works very well.

I know others experience is different

No argument that the SMK will kill. In fact i used them on a cull hunt or two and dropped a good 50-100 buck with it (out of a 7mm Rem). On 3 occasions however they ran through the buck like solids without expanding. Double lung and i had to use the dogs to get the wounded animals. 2 of the 3 Oryx were still fighting the dogs when i caught up- a good 600m further. These animals are as tough as nails. And yes they would have died eventually from the first shot- however not as fast and humanily as with a proper expanding bullet

1:13? That is interesting.

Lothar Walther

Twist is 330mm = 1:33cm / 2.54= 1:13" if my math is right.

Apparently made for the 155gr Palma match bullets?

Local dealer (a good friend) swears by them and mentioned that he has sold over a 100 of these barrels and hasn't had a single complaint. He would not bs me just to sell a barrel.
Lets see how it goes once it is installed.