• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nosler Ballistic Tips?

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I had some Nosler BTs that I traded for come today. They are 180gr .308s.
My dad uses some BTs in .223 in his Browning A-Bolt and they were very accurate out to 200 yards- which is as far as he tried to shoot.

Has anyone used these through their .308? Are they just a hunting bullet or do they make a decent target bullet?
I traded some .270 bullets I had no use for so I am not out anything getting them. Since the SMKs are scarce around here I am always looking for a good alternative, and I think the Noslers are in stock more often. I know I could order bullets, but I have a Cabela's about 7 miles from me. There stock of .308 and .223 bullets is usually out.
If nothing else these 2 boxes will give me something to practice with until the shortage eases up.

Jim

Re: Nosler Ballistic Tips?

Nosler BT's work. Period.

50gr .224 BT's are my .223 match bullet (27.7gr W748), and no 'Chuck I've hit with a 55 gr BT (25.4gr W748) out to 250yd has ever moved an inch after being hit.

M700 VLS.

.30 cal 180gr BT's are not varmint bullets, their expansion is designed for deer sized game.

Message ends...

The 180s have a decent BC (.507 according to Nosler's website) so I don't see why they wouldn't make a decent target round.

I have been running 165's in my 06 and 140's in my 7-08 and they just flat work on deer size game. Real accurate and deadly as hell.

I have always gotten good accuracy from BTs and have shot some deer with them and the deer were impressed, bang flop-dead. I stopped using the 180 grain 308's due to too much meat loss. Broadside lung shot looked like a hand grenade was thrown into the chest cavity.

A fantastic bullet for deer-sized animals if you are not worried about meat loss. I used to shoot crop damage deer many many permits and more deer. For the permit deer I would always use BTs as the deer would drop so fast that we never had to track.

I shoot a 6x284 and I shot a 80 gr Nosler BT I know for fact was 3900 FPS broad side through a coyotes heart lung area. All it did was produce and entrance and exit hole no bigger then a pencil.This was at 45 yds. Upon impact the coyote did a 180 and died.I was hoping to see the
Red Mist Fly"

I will mostly use these for target shooting, but it sounds like a good pig round when I get invited to cull some.

Jim

Just to let you know, I have had trouble getting BT's and Accubonds to shoot well in my 700 LTR .308. This rifle will shoot 1/2" groups pretty regularly with 168gr. SMK's. I get between 3/4" to 1-1/4" groups with 165gr. BT's and Accubonds. That is a pretty big difference, after a good bit of testing. My guess is it is due to the Nosler's being long for their weight, and I guess my rifle doesn't stabilize them well.

The 125gr. BT's don't do well in my rifle either, but Sierra 110gr. HP's shoot awesome. I guess my rifle just doesn't like Noslers.

Jim, I think you should consider the issue of too much fragmentation using BT's on hogs. The bigger one's have 1" or greater gristle shields on their sides that is tough as hell to penetrate.

i prefer ballistic tips for all hunting. only use smk's when im goin long on zombies or paper.