• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nosler Brass

Ramblin'Man

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2021
OK
Is anyone else having issues with Nosler Brass? I've got some for my 300WSM and the primer pockets seem to be too small because, at least on some, its a real struggle to get them seated. Also, they don't want to chamber in my rifle. I've run them through my Redding sizing die and the numbers are all coming back good according to the book and they measure the same as my Hornady brass that is giving me no problems at all. I also have some Nosler for my 223 that doesn't give me any headaches either. I just don't understand why the damn 300WSM brass is being such a bitch. Any suggestions y'all have would be greatly appreciated.

If your Nosler brass measures the same as your Hornady brass then you’re measuring wrong.

If your Nosler brass measures the same as your Hornady brass then you’re measuring wrong.
Okay, please explain. I'm not doubting you, I'm still new to reloading, but why would the outside measurements, like the length of the cartridge and the width at the neck and shoulder etc be different? And let me clarify, they are not exactly the same, but the differences are so minute they are really not worth mentioning and they are very close to the specifications spelled out in the manuals. Also, why are the primers so hard to seat and when I say hard I mean extremely hard? I don't have the same problem with the Hornady brass.

Last edited:
Your minute differences in measurement are seemingly not so minute then aren’t they?
So until we get those how are we going to be able to tell you anything?
Also, throw the manual specs away because they clearly aren’t doing you any good and now compare to what you have in your hands because that’s all that matters.

Okay, please explain. I'm not doubting you, I'm still new to reloading, but why would the outside measurements, like the length of the cartridge and the width at the neck and shoulder etc be different? And let me clarify, they are not exactly the same, but the differences are so minute they are really not worth mentioning and they are very close to the specifications spelled out in the manuals. Also, why are the primers so hard to seat and when I say hard I mean extremely hard? I don't have the same problem with the Hornady brass.

Did you measure the shoulder length using a comparator? That’s where the case can bottom out against the chamber and prevent the bolt from closing.

Did you measure the shoulder length using a comparator? That’s where the case can bottom out against the chamber and prevent the bolt from closing.
No, I haven't but thanks for the tip. I'll see what that shows me.

Is anyone else having issues with Nosler Brass? I've got some for my 300WSM and the primer pockets seem to be too small because, at least on some, its a real struggle to get them seated. Also, they don't want to chamber in my rifle. I've run them through my Redding sizing die and the numbers are all coming back good according to the book and they measure the same as my Hornady brass that is giving me no problems at all. I also have some Nosler for my 223 that doesn't give me any headaches either. I just don't understand why the damn 300WSM brass is being such a bitch. Any suggestions y'all have would be greatly appreciated.
probably bad brass. avoid nosler.

peterson have tight primer pockets too, at least for sellier & bellot primers - not for federal, but they all have same tight pockets. and they say it.

and that your brass wont go into your chamber it means it is too big and probably out of specifications. not good at all.

Reactions: Ramblin'Man