• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Nosler Cust. Comp.

okiefired

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2003
The Reservation (OK)
Hey folks, whats been your experience with Nosler's Custom Competition bullets? Specifically in .308 and .223 but interested in all. TIA.

okie

Re: Nosler Cust. Comp.

I shoot the 308 155's and 168's, they are a fine alternative to the SMK line of bullets, seem to be about on par with the 168 SMK's I shoot. POI changes a little between sierras and Noslers though, so you gotta remember which is which.

For general shooting I'll buy a bulk lot of Nosler CC 168s. I do notice that the nose "hollow point" seems to be less consistent than sierras, I will reject a few bullets out of every batch for this.

It's not the very best bullet you can buy, but its a very accurate one and affordable enough to let you shoot more often and get better.

When I was trying to develop a MK262 clone, I tried the 77gr SMK's, Hornady 75gr BTHP's and the Nosler Custom Comp 77 BTHP's.

At every velocity from 2500-2800 fps the Noslers shot the tightest groups, followed fairly closely by the SMK's and trailed by a long way by the Hornady's. This was in a MP15 w/1:9.

YMMV

John

I have had great results with the 155 and 175. They shoot as good as Sierras and Hornady amax.

77's and 168's ran great for me (better than SMK's).
Since I've gotten away from 168's and went to 175's I've found good buys on SMK's, so I've been running them for now...

I do know that the ogive length on the 168's is different (further forward IIRC) than the 168 SMK's.

168 shoots well with my 308 using BLC-2.

10 shot group @ 110 yards. This was done during load development 2-5 shot group, half grain apart.

IMGP1990.jpg

DF, thats nice. Looks like you have a combination thats pretty tolerant of small load variences, thats always good. Thanks again.

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DF, thats nice. Looks like you have a combination thats pretty tolerant of small load variences, thats always good. Thanks again.

okie </div></div>

I can shoot both 168 or 155 with this rifle really well although it was throated for 175.

I've used the 168 with no problems at all. I'm getting ready to try out some 155s.

I use the 52 grain Noslers in my .22-250. They shoot great. I switched to them from the 50 grain V-Max which had been my "go to" round in that gun for 6 years

Like the others, I have had very good success with the 77's and 80's in my .223's. They have been consistent and out performed the Sierra's in my rifles.
I have multiple boxes on hand and have no need to play with any thing else for X-Course shooting.
Buy a box or 2 and give them a go.

Lois. I have about 400+ of the 77s and never got to shoot them before I got a pile of 75 amax s. Let me know I you're interested in them via pm. I don't have plans to shoot them at this point, I'm trying to parse down the number of bullets that I have on hand and just put a bunch of the same thing on the shelf for simplicity reasons.

glad to see this thread. I just bought some 175 Nosler's for my 308. I have not loaded them yet but I am getting ready to do some testing. I got them when Midway had a sale going on - $66.00 for 250 bullets; not a bad deal.

A pal loads Nosler J4 168 grs. CC for me. Pretty good results, 5 rounds = 10mm (center-center).

Not sure if the 175 grs would be better for the 1:10 (poly) barrel.

Good price for the bullets, too.