• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nosler custom comp

aaron burks

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2011
Low Gap AR
Just got a new rifle, well new to me rem 700pss 308. Loaded up some nosler custom comp 168gr over varget and the rifle really likes em. My question is can I push these to 1000 as this is my goal or would be better served with a 175gr smk or 178 gr amax? Thnx.

Re: Nosler custom comp

You will get a lot of answers, but the median answer everybody will give you for the 168BTHP are:

- Effective game to 650 yards
- Expect reliable target/transonic to 800 yards
- Competition worthy to 500 yards calm or 300 yards windy

YMMV.

175 SMK 178 amax and 178 Hornady BTHP are all way better options for getting to 1000. the 168's will become un stable long before they make it to 1000.

Ive shot 223 69gr and 308 168gr nosler cc,they seem to shoot the same as sierra smk,ymmv

Yep and the 168 match king will not do 1000 reliably either the only diff i can find is the noslers ogive is 17 thousandths further forward than the match king

K thanx everyone that chimed in. Confirmed what i thought was true, I guess I'll find some 178amaxs and start there.

I'm just finishing a 1k box. They didn't perform very well in either of my 308's. I'm using the rest as fouler rounds.

I got a 1000 of the new 190's and they shot well enough.
They were goofy cheap in bulk from last years shot show.
I did notice they don't like to be pushed hard and hot.

I'd buy them again for the same money if I could get them...They took forever to show up too btw.

Peace