• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Nosler LR Accubonds: BC testing results

BryanLitz

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I've been able to get my hands on 4 out of the 7 LR Accubonds; everything up thru 7mm 168 grain. The following summarizes my BC testing of these bullets.

One of the big questions is: are the BC's actually as high as they're claimed/advertised to be?

See the chart below for a summary of my live fire test results.

LRAB.png

As you can see, the actual BC's can be quite close; within 1-8% of advertised if they're properly stabilized. If they're not properly stabilized (which you might not know according to groups), the BC can be 10-12% lower than advertised.

The LR AB's are well designed (low drag) bullets. One reality of long/low drag bullets is they typically require faster than conventional twist rates to stabilize. However Nosler doesn't provide recommended 'specialty' twist rates for these bullets (at least not that I could find) so users are left to assume that standard twist rates will work.

accubondsLR.png

For example, the .270 caliber 150 grain LRAB fired from a 1:10" twist 270 Winchester only produced an SG (stability factor) of 1.19 under the conditions of the test. This low stability resulted in a G7 BC of 0.278, which is 12% below the advertised value of .317. Note that groups were good at this stability level. However, in order to achieve the highest BC, you need to generate a stability factor of at least 1.5*. Retesting the bullet in a 1:7" twist 270 Winchester produced an SG of 2.31, and a BC that's 4% higher (0.291).

It's the same story with the 7mm 168 grain. Fired from a 'standard' 1:9" twist 7mm Remington Magnum, the stability factor was 1.33, and the BC was 10% less than advertised. Same bullet fired from a 1:7" twist .284 Winchester produced an SG of 2.19, and a BC that's 4% higher, and within 6% of the advertised BC.

* New book plug :) : A lot has been learned in recent testing focused on spin rate, stability and BC which is being published in my newest book: Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting.

In summary, the Nosler LR Accubonds are a dramatic improvement over the standard Accobonds in terms of BC's which is a great thing for long range hunters. However you do need to be aware of the stability requirements for these long bullets and aim for a stability factor of 1.5 or higher.

You can calculate your bullets stability factor using this online calculator

None of my testing focused on precision/group testing other than the observation that groups were the same at the marginal and high stability levels.

If anyone has some 7mm 175 grain, or .308 190/210 grain samples of the LR Accubonds that they could spare for testing, I'll be happy to share results. I'd need about 15 bullets to test.

Take care,
-Bryan

Last edited:
Just PM me an address and 15 would be about as many as I would give up as you know they are hard to find and Nosler claims end of July the 308/210's will be out ? But so many have been back ordered that it will be a while before anyone sees any thing I bet !

Was going to load some in my Chris Kyle Accumark 300 Win Mag

Did I run this rite it came up with 2.45 ? SG

Last edited:
I could send you some 7mm 175s and .30 210s. Only shot the 210s out to 300 yards in my 300 RUM and killed three pigs last year with them. Have yet to use the 7mm 175s since my 7 LRM build is in slow progress.

I knew you and Scotty had all them 210's Woodycreek !! They acting rite outta that RUM ? I hope I can get in on a few of the 210's on the next run as I have way too many 30's in the box! I think the 190's are going to work better in my Win Mag than the 210's but what do I know? I am sure the rifle will have that decision!

Thanks Bryan for the info, good to know that the BC is accurate.
Been looking for the 190's, glad to see them in production now. Going to be my go to elk medicine in my Rum.

BrianLitz; A sincere thanks for your continuing work and testing/experimentation for the shooting community. GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! All of us are interested in ACTUAL BC's & downrange performance, not inflated BC's used to generate an increase in sales.
Craig

Thanks for the comments guys.

PM's sent to HOGWILD and Woodycreek regarding the bullets I need, thank you guys for the offer.

I'll report back when I get the remaining bullets tested.

Take care,
-Bryan

I have shot a couple hundred 300 gr 338`s through Sako TRG42 338 LM at 2775 fps and they shoot and track very similar to the 300 gr Scenar,,the dope generated by the JBM program using Noslers BC numbers is right on to 1,100 yards,,

Bryan,

I bought your first two books awhile back and loved them, a true wealth of information and I very much like and learned from your problem solving. Is the new book gonna be offered on amazon in electric form? If yes do you get more of the profit if I buy electric copy or hard copy via the link in the op?

Best,
Daniel

Very interested to see how the 129gr 6.5mm rounds turn out. I've got a box on order to try in a few weeks as I'm hopeful it will be my preferred hunting round to use.

Daniel,
The Modern Advancements series will be offered in eBook format, but not for like 6 months after the hardcopy is out, so around January. To answer your question, I get more profit from hard-copy sales than electronic copies.
Take care,
-Bryan

Bryan I get a 2.07 using the 150 gr 270 Weatherby at 3100 fps at 6610 ft in elevation so I see them shooting good outta the 270 Lazermark? RL 25 with max load will give me 3100 fps!

I saw that shooters pro shop has some 30 cal LR accubond factory seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fellows, buy Mr. Litz hard copy. It helps support his work that we so much enjoy. Anyway, books just feel damn good in the hand, than a Ipad or some computer devise!

The remaining bullets have been tested, and the results updated in the OP as well as here:

LRAB.png

The 7mm 175 grain LRAB was tested in a 1:7" twist, while the 190 and 210 were each tested in 1:8" and 1:10" twist barrels.

The .30 cal 190 grain was stable (SG over 1.5) in the 1:10" twist, and saw no further increase in BC by going to the 1:8".

The SG of the .30 cal 210 grain was just barely below 1.5 (it was 1.48 with the 1:10" twist in my conditions), and saw a 1% increase in BC by increasing spin rate. to 1:8". I think a 1:10" would be good for this bullet in most conditions; as I was shooting it out of a .308 at only ~2400 fps MV.

Thank you to those who helped by providing the bullets for testing.

-Bryan

Gotta love how the marketing department inflates numbers to quench those needs. Some are close and some are out there. Thanks for the update on these Bryan.

Brian,
As the 210 velocity is a little slow for the caliber/weight, what sort of BC increase would we expect to see for a jump to 300 win mag velocity(+400-450 fps lets say). I know G7 BC's will change less than G1 BC's with change in velocity, but am not sure how much.
Thanks for posting these, great info!

I have utilized your b.c. data in JBM's online data to get several shooters lined up with good data over the past few years and have found it to work great to out past 1000 yards reliably. (I show them how to use Lindy's method with JBM to make Density altitude cards). Thanks for responding & keep up the great work!

Bryan, What did you have at your location for the conditions when testing the 168 7mm. I ran my numbers for my area and my 7mm-08 with a 9 twist and get totally diffferent numbers. Here is what you posted in your original post.

"It's the same story with the 7mm 168 grain. Fired from a 'standard' 1:9" twist 7mm Remington Magnum, the stability factor was 1.33, and the BC was 10% less than advertised. Same bullet fired from a 1:7" twist .284 Winchester produced an SG of 2.19, and a BC that's 4% higher, and within 6% of the advertised BC."

Here is the SG data that I am getting. Does this look right?

Caliber .284
Bullet Weight 168 Grains
Bullet Length 1.49"
Barrel Twist 9 Inches/Turn
Muzzle Velocity 2700
Temperature 59
Altitude 3000 Feet

SG = 1.61

If my numbers are correct it looks like I should be Good unless I am shooting down in the valley and it is cold, or go to sea level for some reason. Most of my shooting and hunting is done in our mountains. YEA. Thanks Brock

Mountain Shooter,

Good observation, there are a couple things going on here. One is that the actual length of the bullets I shot measured 1.519", as opposed to the 1.49" listed by Nosler. I show Noslers length in my table because that might be a more representative length across all lots, but I used my actual measured value of 1.519" for my stability calcs because that's the actual lot I tested.

Another difference is that you ran your numbers at 3000 feet, which affects SG by a great deal; 0.16 units in this case.

Those two things combined explain the difference between my SG and yours. I think that even if your bullets are the same length as mine, you'll be OK at 3000 feet altitude. It doesn't sound like much, but the bullet knows the difference.

Take care,
-Bryan

Yeah, really good stuff Mr Litz! I have enjoyed all your books and analysis a great deal.

I'm sticking with your 180gr 7mm Hybrids however. I was in Wyoming a few weeks ago and had them out as far as 1970yds and they absolutely hammer, even at that range. As long as the wind didn't change, those Hybrids were nearly hitting the same hole at over 1 mile. More than a few rocks KIA from that Berger lead!

Bryan, does the Increased B.C with increased stability apply to all bullets i.e Berger 168 and 180 hunting vlds? Thanks, Keep up the great work!!

Bryan, does the Increased B.C with increased stability apply to all bullets i.e Berger 168 and 180 hunting vlds? Thanks, Keep up the great work!!

Yes, it sure does.

You can explore the effects for your specific rifle and bullet using the Berger online calculator:
http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

Also, if you're really interested in more in-depth information on how twist rate affects BC, accuracy, velocity, etc, check out:
Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting: Volume I

Take care,
-Bryan

It sure seems like Nosler was being very generous with the 210gr bc. It's off by quite a bit - .730 is a far cry from .651. How could they be off by such a wide margin?

So, theoretically if we figure a 5% b.c increase with sufficient stabilization, the 7mm hunting vlds would have around .332 and .354 g7s (168gr and 180gr respectively)? Add to that another 2% for pointing and the 180 hunting vld goes up to around a .361 g7. thats getting fairly close to the 230 hybrid in 30cal. which is quite interesting considering the weight difference! I can only imagine what the 195gr eol vld will have when pointed and properly stabilized!?!? Thanks for the reply Bryan, Keep up the great work and keep the info coming!

Last edited:
So, theoretically if we figure a 5% b.c increase with sufficient stabilization, the 7mm hunting vlds would have around .332 and .354 g7s (168gr and 180gr respectively)? Add to that another 2% for pointing and the 180 hunting vld goes up to around a .361 g7. thats getting fairly close to the 230 hybrid in 30cal. which is quite interesting considering the weight difference! I can only imagine what the 195gr eol vld will have when pointed and properly stabilized!?!? Thanks for the reply Bryan, Keep up the great work and keep the info coming!

whoa whoa whoa... don't get carried away!

The BC's shown for these bullets (.316 and .337) are the maximum potential BC's, assuming full stabilization. You can't improve BC beyond it's fully stabilized value. You can degrade BC by not spinning a bullet fast enough, but it only gets so good with full stability and that's what Berger's numbers represent; full stability.

It's true you can get 2-4% increase from pointing, but we're not sure how pointing will affect the terminal performance of the hunting bullet.

If you're interested in really understanding the performance of these two bullets, you can read in great detail:
http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/Articles/ABDOC109_1_7mmPart1.pdf
http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/Articles/ABDOC109_2_7mmPart2.pdf

Take care,
-Bryan

Alright, thanks for clearing that up Bryan! I thought the published #s were the potential limits, but figured i would ask just in case. Will certainly be buying some 168 and 180vlds in the future, and will buy the 168 and 175 ABLRs as well (still can't really wrap my head around the 168 ABLR having so close to the same b.c as the 180 vld!) Might have to get a 7.5 twist so I'l be able to run the 195s when they finally surface (and to extend stable range of aforementioned bullets). Thanks again Bryan. Your wisdom is invaluable and greatly appreciated!