• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nosler Varmageddon 'ultra-thin jacket' vs 1:7 twist barrel

sentry1

Crayon Eater
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2012
Madison, Alabama
I've heard that a fast twist barrel (like the 1:7 on my AR) will do bad things to very thin jackets. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I'd like to get some 62gr Varmageddon bullets, because they're cheap, and I'm hoping the POI shift will be minimal vs 62gr M855. However, I'm worried about the effect that 'ultra-thin' jacket will have on accuracy with that fast twist.

How long is your barrel?

I doubt you can drive a 62 grain bullet fast enough to cause any issues. My understanding is that it's speed and a thin jacket that cause issues with a 1-7" barrel.

I've gone down to 50 grain Nosler ballistic tips in a 16" AR without the bullets breaking up. They shot ok, but I had better results moving up to the 52 to 55 grain bullets.

I'd try some. I haven't had any problems with much lighter bullets in a 16" barrel. I've shot 50 grain through 60 grain noslers and they haven't been over spun and fragmented before impact.

When my AR varmint barrel (1/7" 26" WOA) was brand new, about every third round of Berger 55 gr. Varmint bullets did vaporize at 75 yards out or so. I think the ragged barrel grooves helped to tear the bullet jacket. There was a lot of copper left in the barrel after shooting.

Since it's been broken in, the barrel hasn't had an issue. And no more copper in the barrel.

Give them a try.