• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Not a bolt gun but a lever gun 1895SBL

KHOOKS

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2008
Central Alabama
I interested in getting a 1895SBL. Does anyone here have one of the newer ones that a Remlin. Of so what do you think of the rifle. Should I buy without heistation or should I shop and only buy after I have my hands on to look at the build quailty of the one I'd be taking home.

Ken

Re: Not a bolt gun but a lever gun 1895SBL

I don't personally have one, but I have several friends that do. they are really well made for what they are and they are a blast to shoot. the nice thing about 45-70 is it can be loaded down to mild cowboy loads or up to real thumpers that will knock just about anything down. Some day soon I'll have one too.

The Marlington has quite a few issues ranging from timing, to quality of individual components. Basically, Remington has cheapened the overall gun. We build quite a few custom lever guns and we won't use the Marlington as a base gun.

Do yourself a favor and find a Pre-Remington. Far better quality, especially if you can find a pre-crossbolt safety version.

I have had one for a year. I killed two deer with it last year with the standard remington 405gr. It recoils about like a 20ga with that load. I also have some Garrett 540gr ammo that is loaded much hotter and feels like a 12ga with 3 inch slugs. I have not started reloading for the 45-70 yet.

I have not mounted an optic, the ghost ring sights are really nice for eastern hunting. I have an ACOG TA-33 not being used that I may throw on there. It is a very handy and accurate rifle. Groups about an inch for me at 100 yards off the bench with open sights and factory ammo. I think the quality seems pretty decent. I like it.

I own and use the Winchester 94AE .44Magnum Trapper Carbine. I think the rifle and chambering are simply a perfect combination.

It's my goto deer brush gun. It handles very well, is a pussycat to shoot with 180/200gr Jacketed HP self-defense pistol loads, and definitely packs adequate knockdown power.

The short length makes it very wieldy in close quarters, but imposes no noticeable performance penalties at woodland deer distances.

Mine wears a dot scope, sighted for 70 yd. Trajectory, terminal performance, and accuracy are pretty much indistinguishable from premium 20ga sabot load in a quality rifled barrel.

Recoil can be a tad sharp, but mine has a Limbsaver on and it not only smooths out the pulse, it also adds needed LOP.

The .30-30 seems anemic by comparison, but by the same token, I see the 45-70 as overkill.

It also digests .44SPC Cowboy Action loads very nicely as plinker fodder.

I don't want to bash anybody, but I've just seen and heard too many firsthand accounts about new Remington hardware that has problems that should never have made it out of the factory. Folks here like to bash Savages, but I have several and have never had an issue with any of them. If memory serves, Savage stopped marketing the 99 in 1953, and I (for one) wouldn't mind seeing that model being revived.

Greg

I have a 95cb 45 long colt. I bought it about 5-6 years ago. Cool rifle pretty accurate. In accurate I mean I can hold about 3 moa at 100 yards. Fun rifle to dick around with. Wish I had one in 45/70.

I had a Marlin 450M a few years back, it would shoot fantastic groups at 100m and i killed all sorts of game with it. I sold it on because i couldn't get along with the straight grip.

I just got my hands on a MXLR 338. ive cropped the barrel to 19", threaded it M14x1, fitted a HT Comp, Ive threaded the outside of the HT comp M21x1.5 and fitted a Delta suppressor.

I can't make my mind up wether to ditch the laminated forestock and put a picatinny handguard on there instead ( Ive one of German manufacture that with just a little fettling would slip nicely over barrel and mag tube..

Ive an idea for an adaptor to take an AR15 buffertube with Magpull telescopic buttstock, also cut up a Hogue stock and have the pistolgrip machined to fit the Marlin.

this is a project thats had bits sat on shelf for years just waiting for the rifle,

I might just add a big loop lever and a scout rail and have done, go shoot it..

i want to use it for driven wild boar..

The finish, as far as sharp edges, general attention to detail is certainly not as good on the new MXLR as it was on the 1895 450M.

see how it shoots when i get a chance,,

Pete

I bought a new Marlin 45-70 and will never buy another. The timing is off and the metal is crap. I think they pour metal shavings in them before shipping them out. The tabs on the wood stock were also broken. The xs rail I bought would not work because the scope holes are not lined up. I would rather have a pump shotgun with rifled barrel or a short handy bolt gun. If you still want one buy an old one.