• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Not a long range ? but still worth asking....I think.

lovemylegacy

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2011
Texas
My son purchased some .308 ammo, 2 brands. Tried to load and could not push bolt all the way in, ejected the casing and bullet was stuck in chamber, tried another bullet, same results. I put a mic on the remanding bullets and the 2 that were stuck and they were .310-.312. 2nd brand performed flawlessly. Contacting the ammo company tomorrow. What is the proper protocol? Any and all comments are appreciated from the gurus, Thanx.

Picture of the box would be really interesting to see....

See what I can do, Fed Prems 308 BTHP 168gr is whats on the box. Winchester had the same info except for bullet type. Kinda freaky. I talked to couple fellas and they say that .310-312 is a NATO cal. 7.62. Sounds like a mix up on Federals part.

Your friends are wrong, 7.62x51 uses the same bullets a .308 does. Definitely a screw up on federal's part though if they are measuring .310-.312. The bullets for the .303 British and the Jap Arisaka measure .3110 so that's probably what they loaded those cases with. Let us know what they tell you, it could've been a pretty bad situation if the rounds would have chambered, they should do something for you.

Your friends are wrong, 7.62x51 uses the same bullets a .308 does. Definitely a screw up on federal's part though if they are measuring .310-.312. The bullets for the .303 British and the Jap Arisaka measure .3110 so that's probably what they loaded those cases with. Let us know what they tell you, it could've been a pretty bad situation if the rounds would have chambered, they should do something for you.

Yes, it could have been very bad. Yeah, I would think Fed would make it good. When my son purchased them, they were only 25 bucks, pretty cheap for 308 rounds. Mighta been a red flag.

Doesn't 7.62x39 also use a roughly .311" projectile?

Something's definitely rotten with the ammo. Please post photos of the box (especially the lot number), and let us know what you get when you contact federal.

Also, it's a good thing you didn't pull the trigger on one. The KB probably would have been ugly.

I will get my boy to post pics of the package. Im not real savvy when it comes to compooters.

No he bought them at the Bmt, Tx Academy. When he told me $25 per box it made me want to buy a 308, thats the cheapest that I have seen 308 ammo. I looked for the ammo here at the house, he must have tried to take them back to Academy. Pretty sure thats gonna be a no go.

do you have a lot number for ammo? I have a box or 2 of FGMM 168, would like to be proactive

Pull your ammo out of the box and mic the bullets at the bearing surface.

That will tell you what you want to know.

Pull your ammo out of the box and mic the bullets at the bearing surface.

That will tell you what you want to know.
Yes, thats what I did. I checked about half of them, they were all big. Presently they are on their way back to Federal.