• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Not a Sniper Rifle, but...

3-0-hate

Captain Nimcompoop
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2011
Lost in Idaho...
I was visiting with my gunsmith last week, and found out hes moving to Florida in September. Sad to see him go, hes a great guy and a meticulous SOB, with FAST turnaround times, but hes liquidating some of his personal collection. He must like me because I scored this Remington Model 81 for $150... Going rate for these rifles in rough condition is right around $500... This one is 98%, easily. Chambered in 300 Savage. Its a pretty neat gun and Im glad I was able to score on it so well.. Hell, I didnt even have to haggle...

So, while not a vintage sniper rifle, it is a vintage rifle, and they are known for being fairly accurate.. haha.

The gun is circa 1940
42246699872_6c62e90ac7_h.jpg
\

Congratulations! Very interesting arm. Does that have an annular piston around the barrel? Reminds me of the German G41 semiautomatic.

Frank Hamer carried and used it's predecessor, the MOD 8 in 35 Rem. Fancy engraved one. Used it the day he caught up with Bonnie and Clyde Barrow. That really says something as he could have had a Thompson or a BAR for the asking.

BTW, I would have been asking for the BAR.

Last edited:
Very cool. Thsee could've been a game changer if you could slightly alter history and have em available in .300 Sav + a good spitzer boat tail projo to go with it in time for WW1 and have em adopted by US .mil (and/or other allies would've been even bigger impact due to them stepping the fray earlier). Can you imagine? A handy/compact semi auto in an easily 600 yd cartridge in WW1 !! Obviously tactics were terrible for the majority of the war and that would need changing to take advantage of said fantasy potential game changer. But still, infantry units could have significant fire superiority over the hunns with something like that.

Wanna say Frank Hamer put some holes in Bonnie and Clyde with a .35 Rem version, and John Dillinger used one as well IIRC.

I would love to have a police version with the detachable magazine..

All you need to is click on the Buy It Now button and it's yours. Oh, there's that pesky business about having to pay for it. Good luck on your search.

Geez, a bid already on it for $3950 and reserve not met? Someone needs to put down the crack pipe. Well some people pay that much for a Colt Python I guess.

I had one in .25 Remington from my Grandfather. I was going to pass it on to one of my grandsons but not one of them cared a hoot about it so I sold it to a collector who at least understood and cared about what he was getting.

Had a Model 8 in .30 Rem. many years ago. A great compact carbine, it just became uneconomical to feed but a friend/collector made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Back in the day, I did shoot it a lot when Potomac Arms in Alexandria VA, (God I miss that place) sold all of their old stock ammo for pennies on the dollar. Still have boxes of Norma 10MM and Win Black Talon. Memory lane, my bad.