• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NOT ATTACKING NEW MEMBERS

coldboremiracle

Freelance Sharpshooter
Minuteman
  • Jul 7, 2009
    Utah, north
    www.coldboremiracle.com
    In the interests of keeping those with sexy avatar's around, perhaps a suggestion: There will always be a long line of "noob's" (hate the term) coming in here, and as Rob01 has clearly explained, there wont be any further harassment of these. I think it is a fine idea though I too find these junk threads very irritating, and untasteful.
    The tools to fix this problem already exist within these digital walls, our members have brought untold amounts of knowledge to this site and all we need to do is put it in the right spot. Under the bolt action rifle forum, there is the "getting started in LR shooting FAQ's" thread. There is an answer to almost every "noobish"
    sick.gif
    question in that thread, or others like it. And if it doesn't address the particular question, it can always be added to the thread. It already has a sticky on it, so all we need to do is direct our newer members to it in a kind fashion.
    If we all take the time to know and remember this, and simply post the link when these "whats the best . . . ." threads pop up, there will be less facepalm,popcorn,and in before the lock comments, as well as fewer and fewer junk threads, and ban's on our members.
    So, if we can just direct them to these helpful threads, and not "feed the junk thread", we will all be better off and wont have to deal with the undesirable consequences these conversations always produce. Perhaps LL or one of the mods have a similar or better suggestion or could add to the idea??? anyone?

Re: NOT ATTACKING NEW MEMBERS

One of the things I've always liked about this site was how quickly and swiftly the morons showing up here asking about countersnipers, "sniping", "best sniper rifle evah", COD, etc are always dealt with (and often in a hilarious manner, with even mods joining in). I always felt this site allowed quite a bit more than some other more oppressive ones and appreciated that. I guess just like the world around us, the times they are changing.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of the things I've always liked about this site was how quickly and swiftly the morons showing up here asking about countersnipers, "sniping", "best sniper rifle evah", COD, etc are always dealt with (and often in a hilarious manner, with even mods joining in). I always felt this site allowed quite a bit more than some other more oppressive ones and appreciated that. I guess just like the world around us, the times they are changing. </div></div>

Hmmm... people can come into the world of shooting through many different avenues. Not everyone grew up on a farm and had a father/uncle etc who took them out shooting and showed them the way of it all. Some people see something they like on TV, on a vid game, in a work of fiction etc and that's the spark that set them on a new a sport and a realization of the role and importance of firearms within the American way of life - past, present and <span style="text-decoration: underline">future</span>.

Just because they ask a question you feel is moronic doesn't make them morons. We ALL benefit by new shooters, give people the benefit of the doubt before you pile on like an internet tough guy.

The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask. Everybody got to learn.
    Ask Boltripper, I've asked my share!!

Hi Scott, I hope that you are well.

N

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of the things I've always liked about this site was how quickly and swiftly the morons showing up here asking about countersnipers, "sniping", "best sniper rifle evah", COD, etc are always dealt with (and often in a hilarious manner, with even mods joining in). I always felt this site allowed quite a bit more than some other more oppressive ones and appreciated that. I guess just like the world around us, the times they are changing. </div></div>

Hmmm... people can come into the world of shooting through many different avenues. Not everyone grew up on a farm and had a father/uncle etc who took them out shooting and showed them the way of it all. Some people see something they like on TV, on a vid game, in a work of fiction etc and that's the spark that set them on a new a sport and a realization of the role and importance of firearms within the American way of life - past, present and <span style="text-decoration: underline">future</span>.

Just because they ask a question you feel is moronic doesn't make them morons. We ALL benefit by new shooters, give people the benefit of the doubt before you pile on like an internet tough guy. </div></div>

Usually the type I'm talking about aren't ones to leave their preconceived notions behind once presented with facts to the contrary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of the things I've always liked about this site was how quickly and swiftly the morons showing up here []are always dealt with (and often in a hilarious manner, with even mods joining in). </div></div>

I agree somewhat, there are plenty of sincearly ignorant people who waltz through the door(i.e.warfighter) that need a gentle nudge back out. But there are also a good number of decent people who just dont know, I personally know several new members who are both skilled marksmen as well as good people, but they are also unlearned in many of the topics discussed here. They are reasonably apprehensive about posting for fear of public berating, that is ok I guess as it keeps them reading and learning before opening their mouth to be followed by their foot.
    I think that as a community, if we can sift through the sincear and point them to the FAQ pages. And perhaps in a less pirahna style attack on the foolish, and even (mod's willing) with a bit of the SH humor so many of us have grown to love, show the ignorant the error of their ways, it will be a better place for us all?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why was i not alerted ? </div></div>Because we're only going to attack the old members now, as they appear to be the ones ready and equipped to handle the abuse.
    laugh.gif

Just bring NOBODY back and make him head moderator in charge of noobs-problem solved
    wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If Mr. Humble comes back, can we attack him?

wink.gif
    </div></div>

If you rub two muskets together and curse Barnes bullets he just may. . . . . .

I think the FAQ thread is a good idea.Noobs and their questions can be a pita,but the future of the site depends on them.The ability to search would answer most questions,but the search function is not easy for the computor challenged(like me).I know the site consist of mostly alpha males,so this may be like asking a shark to play nice. Pete

I just updated my sig line which has had the Hide Google Search Engine link for a LONG time now.

The new addition is a direct link to the FAQ thread. Here is the UBB for the link if anyone is also interested (just remove the "*" at the beginning and end of the link):

[*url=http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=237232#Post237232]Sniper's Hide FAQs - Your Friends If You Are Just Getting Started Here[/url*]

Just an easy way to point folks with "beginner" type questions to a thread with a WEALTH of information by saying "see the link to the FAQs in my sig line below."

FWIW...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why was i not alerted ? </div></div>

I just wanna know, 0mm or 45 ACP?

just saying
    wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If Mr. Humble comes back, can we attack him?

wink.gif
    </div></div>

If you rub two muskets together and curse Barnes bullets he just may. . . . . . </div></div>
    What about the most top secret person alive Piston Pete? Most things that guy has done can't be written he has seen that much classified stuff. Only person I know to shoot with a Counter Sniper out past three miles with his paintball gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just updated my sig line which has had the Hide Google Search Engine link for a LONG time now.

The new addition is a direct link to the FAQ thread. Here is the UBB for the link if anyone is also interested (just remove the "*" at the beginning and end of the link):

[*url=http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=237232#Post237232]Sniper's Hide FAQs - Your Friends If You Are Just Getting Started Here[/url*]

Just an easy way to point folks with "beginner" type questions to a thread with a WEALTH of information by saying "see the link to the FAQs in my sig line below."

FWIW... </div></div>

Thats a great Idea ORD, almost exactly what I was thinking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If Mr. Humble comes back, can we attack him?

wink.gif
    </div></div>

If you rub two muskets together and curse Barnes bullets he just may. . . . . . </div></div>
    What about the most top secret person alive Piston Pete? Most things that guy has done can't be written he has seen that much classified stuff. Only person I know to shoot with a Counter Sniper out past three miles with his paintball gun. </div></div>

Is he still around? Haven't been here much myself lately.

Just because they ask a question you feel is moronic doesn't make them morons. We ALL benefit by new shooters, give people the benefit of the doubt before you pile on like an internet tough guy. [/quote]

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peloton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Just because they ask a question you feel is moronic doesn't make them morons. </div></div>

That is a true statement, but conversely it doesn't disqualify them from being a moron either. The general idea here is to be as kind and helpful as possible, without suffering a loss to the whole site's IQ.

Some general thoughts about this topic in no particular order

- The only thing worse than dozens of "paging Boltripper" and popcorn replies is having NO replies what so ever. That's some cold, lonely shit right there.

- Choose any member and go to his profile page. Go to the last page (first posts) on their post listing. The odds are pretty good that you can find where they posted something stupid back in the day. How quickly we forget. NOTE: Try this on one of those locked dogpile threads; you'll find more pots and kettles than in Williams-Sonoma.

- Ever notice how the guys that really know their shit AND give really give good advice don't partake in the newbie dogpile/bashing? Wonder why.