• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Not competing, but considering a lefty John Hancock?

scubadds

Private
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2010
I am looking of getting back into a long range rifle, but I have no immediate plans to compete as I am more focused on my kids travel sports at the moment.
The John Hancock (probably in 6.5 CM) seems like a good value to jump on, but am I missing something? Is it a niche gun? or is it a good all around gun that is a sound alternative to a custom build (in the $4500 range) and maybe a better gun than say the Christensen Arms offerings, that are slightly more expensive?
My fear is this gun is getting some hype because it squeaks into the production category, but perhaps it is not the best "general use" gun for me.
(it would also be my first lefty precision rifle also)

(as an aside)
I have a chicken vs egg dilemma, in that I am not shooting longer distances as I don't presently have a rifle
But I am nervous to plop down big bucks and get the wrong gun until I shoot a bit more....
I had a DTA 300 WM and got into hand loading, but I got out of that setup years ago....(still have the hand loading capabilities)
Had a SCAR 17 and a HK762; that I sold to fund a HK sear purchase; but I really never got optics on and thus didn't shoot them
I tend to run and gun and shoot more MP5's/AR's/pistols on my 100 range than I shoot precision, but I still want to have a nice long range gun
I had even considered getting a KAC SR-25, but it costs twice as much as the Hancock
Living in NC, we don't easily get places to stretch out the distance; but I believe I will have some access to a 1000 yd range in my area...
Being a lefty, I was told the resale value of Left handed guns can be significantly lower???
(would a lefty JH be hard to sell??) vs a KAC SR25 that I can purchase at dealer cost and has a strong resale should I find that I have change of interests

Ted (ARC) has a real good record of delivering innovative top quality products. The rings and mounts he started his company with have been spectacular. The Mausingfield (in my opnion) has shown its self to be battlefield tough and almost bench rest precise.

The Nucleus, I think it looks good, but there are not any wild ones out there. So Ya gotta pay yer money and take yer chances.

I see on PVA's site it lets you choose left or right hand, but I thought the bravo chassis was only available as right hand currently? Is Josh going to be inletting the chassis to allow for a left hand bolt?

You're looking at 2 different rifles with 2 different purposes. A bolt gun and a KAC semi have radically different uses. Yes you can shoot both at targets but if you want to get into LR, a bolt will serve you better.

I too am left handed and faced your dilemma. For years I shot only semi-autos as left handed bolts were hard to get, especially high quality ones. I own several Larues and a KAC ECC. Had many other semi autos as well but they are all gone now other than the Larues and KAC.

A couple of years back, I bought my first precision bolt. I can tell you that it makes a world of difference. It has really made me a better rifleman and has helped me shoot my semi autos way better than I was previously. I would definitely buy yourself a bolt gun. As far as the Nucleus is concerned. I don't know as I have never shot one. However, I have spoken to Ted several times and he knows what he is talking about so I have no doubt that the action will be fantastic and a great value. I also know of the quality behind PVA who makes the Hancock. I have seen and shot his rifles before and they are hammers.

Regarding your comment about LH models taking a beating at sell time. Not true at all. Yes, there is a limited market and it may take longer to sell but you won't take a bath anymore so than if it was a RH model

Good luck to you

i jumped on a JHR. wish i had sooner so i could get it sooner but oh well. pretty sure Frank got one too and there were several others that did too

i had been looking heavily at the Tikka T3x Tac A1 to get back into precision after selling my AI, but for a little bit more it's hard to turn down the JHR. ARC and PVA are known entities and known for quality. Pretty hard to turn down a build from PVA when you list the parts out that it comes with. isn't much i'd change other than maybe 6.5 PRC instead of Creedmoor

i'll use mine for a variety of shooting. F-Class, PRS type matches, and hunting. it'll make a good backup/loaner gun for matches when i can build another in a year or two

I'm still thinking about it but unfortunately they don't offer it in a 5.56x45 (.223). I'd really like to get a .223 trainer bolt action.

I am in the same boat as a lefty. Go for a JH, get a full custom in lefty for more money, or just get a lefty AI AT with a 6.5 barrel. Leaning towards the JH. I don't shoot PRS, just want a nice long range gun to shoot.

If you can afford the AI, you won't regret it. That is what I have. It is simply the finest rifle I have ever owned no reservations.

The only bad thing about the AT is that you'll never buy another rifle

I was recommended to try short action customs and get a Mausingfield action..... choices, choices
There are often so many, its easy to get analysis-paralysis and not ever make a decision

I was recommended to try short action customs and get a Mausingfield action..... choices, choices
There are often so many, its easy to get analysis-paralysis and not ever make a decision

You are right there. The Mausingfield was not available in LH when I bought my AT but I have zero regrets.

If you can afford the AI, you won't regret it. That is what I have. It is simply the finest rifle I have ever owned no reservations.

The only bad thing about the AT is that you'll never buy another rifle

Yeah I keep thinking the same thing - of course its twice the price. The only thing I'm not a fan of on the AT is the pistol grip - would prefer more of a Manners grip, or KRG W3 style grip - hence why I'm thinking the KRG bravo would be good.

I have learned one thing about this hobby since I began....it isn't freaking cheap.

It is twice the price but when you consider what you will spend on ammo, assuming that you shoot frequently, the difference in price is meaningless. I, unfortunately, only have so much time available. I average 2500 rounds per year and that pales to some in this place. Even with that paltry amount, the difference between a $2,000 stick and an AI AT is one year of ammo.

Scubbads,
I think the most important thing when considering "is this the gun for me?" is the stock. After all, that is how you the human (read biggest source of error) interact with the muzzle... if you can interact such that this muzzle is where it needs to be when the bullet leaves barrel, you have found your setup. And honestly, stock choice is a highly personal thing. What works for me doesn't for you, etc. With all this said, the JH's stock has some nice features on there that add to ability to personalize it to you. For example, the buttstock cover looks great - either run it w/ the butt hook or put the cover on to ride a rear-bag better.
To help you answer the stock question better - here is a good review of it:

The chamber and barrel on the JH will be first class. It will deliver a lot of precision for the value. Josh does great work on this front.

best of luck

Can the cheek piece knob on the Bravo be swapped to the left side? (so lefty's dont have our face against it). I know he said in the video you can swap it with a screw - but would rather just run the knob, but on the opposite side.

The KRG bravo knob can't be swapped over. I asked them. They said it can be changed to a regular bolt. I'm going to order one for my Vudoo V22, so I'll know in a couple weeks if there is a better solution.

The KRG bravo knob can't be swapped over. I asked them. They said it can be changed to a regular bolt. I'm going to order one for my Vudoo V22, so I'll know in a couple weeks if there is a better solution.

Yeah that's what i figured. I'm thinking if I go with a JH it might be worth it to wait and see if there is a proper lefty bravo. Or I can swap the chassis later if one does come out.... decisions... or an AI AT ?

Being a lefty I have also wondered about that knob. My Bergara HMR has a similar but smaller size knob, however it doesn’t bother me. Maybe a southpaw Bravo owner can provide some feedback...

i had been looking heavily at the Tikka T3x Tac A1 to get back into precision after selling my AI, but for a little bit more it's hard to turn down the JHR. ARC and PVA are known entities and known for quality. Pretty hard to turn down a build from PVA when you list the parts out that it comes with. isn't much i'd change other than maybe 6.5 PRC instead of Creedmoor

I had this on my mind too. Seeing as some like myself may not care about competition, I'm considering getting a barreled Nucleus action and going with 6.5PRC since my Tikka CTR in 6.5CM is already pretty dang accurate. Any reason you didn't go that route vs the JH full rifle route?

I had this on my mind too. Seeing as some like myself may not care about competition, I'm considering getting a barreled Nucleus action and going with 6.5PRC since my Tikka CTR in 6.5CM is already pretty dang accurate. Any reason you didn't go that route vs the JH full rifle route?
when i rebarrel ill probably make the change, unless i just do a separate 6.5 PRC or SAUM. This will at least give me time to let that battle play out.

6.5 CM is the better option right now because i don't reload. well i do, but it's all in a different state and shared with others. so i'd need to do a full setup basically for either

I posted this earlier in the thread, but no one responded to it. How is PVA making LH hancock rifles with the bravo chassis? Is a LH bravo chassis going to be released, or is PVA going to just modify it for a left bolt?