• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Not enough chamfer on my case mouths?

Raydee38

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2013
NY
I had to pull a flat base bullet today from one of my cases and I noticed that there is a line around the bullet where the case removed some material from the bullet. I am guessing that I didn't chamfer my cases enough. Will this have a negative effect on my rifle?

Raydee38,

You may wish to try a few things to fix the problem. First, use a neck sizing die so you don't size the necks so much. Second, you can try a chamfering tool with a sharper angle, such as the Lyman 17 degree tool rather than a 45 degree tool. Third, an expander such as the Lyman type M tool, Sinclair expander or the K&M neck expander.

HTH,
DocB

Does this have a negative effect on the barrel? I am going to try the Lyman chamfer tool instead of the 45 degree chamfer tool that I am using now.

Just make sure you have a good chamfer and place the bullet in straight. Going in crooked will cause this.

First, it's harmless to your bore. It's typically harmful to accuracy if you nick or shave the bullet's base tho.

Preventing that kind of bullet shaving during seating is exacty what mouth chamfering is meant to prevent; you didn't cut enough. Changing the reamer's cutting angle won't do any good if you don't cut away enough of the inner case mouth so the bullet can actually start inside the chamfered circle. And if you do that you won't need a different chamfer reamer.

There is no average difference in how conventional FL and neck sizing dies work the case necks.

Some guys use a hollow tool stuffed with fine steel wool , run on a drill and they push the mouth of the case against it to smooth out the rough edges after chamfering .I think Sinclair has these .

Some guys use a hollow tool stuffed with fine steel wool , run on a drill and they push the mouth of the case against it to smooth out the rough edges after chamfering .I think Sinclair has these .

I use a nut driver drill attachment with a small piece of scotch brite or steel wool stuffed in the cavity. Spin it in the hand drill and push the case neck into it. Works great.

Don't look at pulled bullets and all these problems will go away, if your accuracy was fine who cares how the bullet looks like, not like you will reuse it and your rifling will do way worse when it gets pushed out the barrel by force.
Cheers

Instead of hacking away at the case mouth with all manner of cutting tools use a Lyman "M" die in the proper caliber. That will improve with neck tension consistency and will not let case mouth scratch the bullets anymore. Best 20 bucks you'll ever spend

Don't look at pulled bullets and all these problems will go away, if your accuracy was fine who cares how the bullet looks like, not like you will reuse it and your rifling will do way worse when it gets pushed out the barrel by force.
Cheers

I don't care what the bullet looks like. I just want to make sure that it won't cause problems to the barrel or accuracy. These are new bullets that I loading for the first time so I have no idea of the accuracy yet.

Sent from my Galaxy S4