• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Not sniper but for sure vintage

tomcatmv

Private
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2017
Central Texas
I have a 1915 (confirmed with Winchester site) model 94 in .30-.30 that I 'd like to get gone over by a good smith as it's got a very slight bulge in the barrel about six inches from the muzzle. If it needs re-barreling I may not be to keen on that and just use it as a wall hanger. I'm in central Texas so would prefer someone in the AO.
I think I may have posted something about this a couple years ago but couldn't find it. I'd like to have the action slicked up to if it's still shootable.

Yes, Turnbull does. And, yes, he is pricey.

Any good gunsmith in Texas will be able to go over the rifle. And a small bulge near the muzzle may have no effect on your shooting your .30-30 out to Minute of Deer at 150 Yds or so... the typical .30-30 range.

Also, you can find used barrels all over the place and they are relatively easy to fit.

One caveat... some of the configurations on these lever guns can be rare and spendy. Half-magazine? Nose cap? Octagonal Barrel? Trapper model with short barrel? All kinds of things can take a run-of-the-mill old Winchester and make it into something worth multiples of a Blue Book Value. Before starting, I'd suggest spending a few dollars on a Cody Letter on the gun.

Just make sure, for example, it was not ordered new by someone infamous... or that it does not have a rare configuration. That would be better being left alone.

Otherwise, probably just shoot the heck out of it. A bulged barrel, unless egregious, is nothing to worry about on a deer rifle.

Sirhr

Yes, Turnbull does. And, yes, he is pricey.

Any good gunsmith in Texas will be able to go over the rifle. And a small bulge near the muzzle may have no effect on your shooting your .30-30 out to Minute of Deer at 150 Yds or so... the typical .30-30 range.

Also, you can find used barrels all over the place and they are relatively easy to fit.

One caveat... some of the configurations on these lever guns can be rare and spendy. Half-magazine? Nose cap? Octagonal Barrel? Trapper model with short barrel? All kinds of things can take a run-of-the-mill old Winchester and make it into something worth multiples of a Blue Book Value. Before starting, I'd suggest spending a few dollars on a Cody Letter on the gun.

Just make sure, for example, it was not ordered new by someone infamous... or that it does not have a rare configuration. That would be better being left alone.

Otherwise, probably just shoot the heck out of it. A bulged barrel, unless egregious, is nothing to worry about on a deer rifle.

Sirhr
Thanks Sirh as I totally respect your opinion as a machinist reading your many posts over the years. I'll tie it down to an old tire and shoot it with string.

Give the barrel a good cleaning first... use a relatively low-power load. Remington Core Lokt round nose. That was a smokeless cartridge early on. You will be fine!
Thanks Sirh as I totally respect your opinion as a machinist reading your many posts over the years. I'll tie it down to an old tire and shoot it with string.

After you 'proof' it...

Set up at 50 with a bench and let us know how it patterns... er... groups! Minute of pie plate is deer hunting good!

At least was when we were growing up ;-)

Sirhr

Reactions: ZG47A
Give the barrel a good cleaning first... use a relatively low-power load. Remington Core Lokt round nose. That was a smokeless cartridge early on. You will be fine!

After you 'proof' it...

Set up at 50 with a bench and let us know how it patterns... er... groups! Minute of pie plate is deer hunting good!

At least was when we were growing up ;-)

Sirhr
Thanks. I think I have an old box of the Core Lokt that came with the carbine when it was gifted to me by my old elderly neighbor. Along with a model 63 Win and a Beretta Bobcat.:)

Reactions: ZG47A
This had pictures the other day but not seeing them now....

Hoped to give you some motivation.

• Wow
Reactions: tomcatmv